Metro kits better then . . .

jimijam

• Members

To all you people that have built their own amps from kits.

Are Metro Kits better then CeriaTone kits for JTM45 or JMP50's?

Metro seems to cost a tad more but I read some great reviews on their kits.

I really want a non-master vol old school marshall and those seem to be about the cheapest way to go :love:

• Members

I have no experience with those kits, but I built a Weber kit, and LOVE it.

The 6m45 is a JTM45.
34.jpg

Weber Kits Page

I did use the Metro instructions as a good tool for a general start-finish workflow guide. And the weber board is super cool, they helped me with an issue on the build. Tons of help there.

• Members
I have no experience with those kits, but I built a Weber kit, and LOVE it.

The 6m45 is a JTM45.

34.jpg

Weber Kits Page

I did use the Metro instructions as a good tool for a general start-finish workflow guide. And the weber board is super cool, they helped me with an issue on the build. Tons of help there.

Nice rig there! :love:
Choices . . . too many choices

• Members
To all you people that have built their own amps from kits.

Are Metro Kits better then CeriaTone kits for JTM45 or JMP50's?

Metro seems to cost a tad more but I read some great reviews on their kits.

I really want a non-master vol old school marshall and those seem to be about the cheapest way to go
:love:

The most important thing I can tell you is that the Metro Kits come with detailed, can't-possibly-{censored}-it-up instructions, while the Ceriatones come with a {censored}ty layout diagram. If you've never built an amp before I'd spend the few extra bucks and go with the Metro simply for the instructions...

Steve

• Members

The most important thing I can tell you is that the Metro Kits come with detailed, can't-possibly-{censored}-it-up instructions, while the Ceriatones come with a {censored}ty layout diagram. If you've never built an amp before I'd spend the few extra bucks and go with the Metro simply for the instructions...

Steve

But I say if you can't follow a {censored}ty layout and build a working amp, you have no business trying to build an amp.

• Members

Steve

A fully assembled Ceriatone head, shipped, is roughly the same price as the Metro kit.

Is the Metro kit that much better than an assembled Ceriatone? I have no clue, and I've been wondering this...

• Members

Thanks! I'll be playing our last show with it tonight.

I made a page that cronicled the build. Since you are looking at buliding an amp, you might find it interesting:

Thanks for the link, I am going to bookmark that one!

That will help me out in my amp building adventures!

• Members

A fully assembled Ceriatone head, shipped, is roughly the same price as the Metro kit.

Is the Metro kit that much better than an assembled Ceriatone? I have no clue, and I've been wondering this...

I don't really know, however, I was responding from the point of view that this guy is looking for the experience/satisfaction of building something with his own hands rather than buying an assembled kit...

Steve

• Members

But I say if you can't follow a {censored}ty layout and build a working amp, you have no business trying to build an amp.

Maybe he can, but for a first time, why not do it as efficiently as possible with really good instructions so you learn how to do it properly. You can always build from {censored}ty layout diagrams later...

Steve

• Members

Yup, me too.

I kind of suspect the Metro's have better parts

• Members
I don't really know, however, I was responding from the point of view that this guy is looking for the experience/satisfaction of building something with his own hands rather than buying and assembled kit...

Steve

Right on :cool:

I know Metro kits are generally well regarded, assuming the builder does a quality job. Just never really heard where the Ceriatones fall as far as component quality goes...

• Members

I built the 50w metro kit. Once you factor in shipping and the headbox for the ceriatone, you are paying almost what you would pay for the metro kit. I don't know how great the ceriatones are, but I've only heard good things. My metro sounds great. Plus wiring it your self will make it easier for you if you ever want to mod it. I've changed mine too all of these: 1986, 1987, trainwreck express (preamp), back to 1987, 2204, now back to 1987.

Also messed with PPIMV, cut controls, tone stacks, lots of other little stuff. I still prefer the nmv 1987 /w an attenuator the best.

• Members

i suspect that if you were to include the cost of shipping from the phillipines, you'd see that the difference in price between a metro kit and a ceriatone kit isn't that big.

unless you just want to build an amp yourself, it might be cheaper to find the real thing...

• Members

I don't really know, however, I was responding from the point of view that this guy is looking for the experience/satisfaction of building something with his own hands rather than buying an assembled kit...

Steve

Yeah I am interested in building an amp so I know what the hell is going on.

Seems like alot of work but cool to know in the end that "I built this mofo!"

Safty 1st of course so I am reading everything I can about amp basics so I don't get zapped or make mistakes (which I know mistakes will happen)

• Members

i suspect that if you were to include the cost of shipping from the phillipines, you'd see that the difference in price between a metro kit and a ceriatone kit isn't that big.

unless you just want to build an amp yourself, it might be cheaper to find the real thing...

The real thing that I have seen cost way too much so that is not an option there.

• Members
Right on
:cool:

I know Metro kits are generally well regarded, assuming the builder does a quality job. Just never really heard where the Ceriatones fall as far as component quality goes...

I have a Ceriatone 100W NMV kit - it all seemed to be of pretty good quality to me. Seems like it would make a very nice sounding amp. The board is pre-assembled which certainly reduces complexity and effort, but takes away from the full satisfaction of having built it yourself...

Steve

• Members

. . . and the Ceriatone chassis (which I've used 3 or 4 times now) has some cool little features like (sorry for my english) "non-round" (shaped) cut-outs for the fuse-holders, little "nuts" inside the holes for the switches and so on. Not sure if Metro (I've used their boards for restorings too) has them. Its details, but IMO very cool

Archived