Website for finding near rhymes

Stackabones

• Members

I'm not really a rhyming dictionary guy so much anymore. I checked out a rhyming dictionary from the library back when I was first starting out and renewed it once or twice but eventually I just developed a relatively quick ability to run the alphabet looking for rhyme syllables. Too cheap to buy my own dictionary. :D

But a few years back I did find the McGill Dictionary of Rhyme (with Verse Perfect! :D )... it's a free download of a sort of verse processor, a word processor with a built in rhyming dictionary pane.

The guy's website is pretty scary -- it looks like he's getting ready to sell you all kinds of crap (and has autoplay sound) -- but the dictionary is free, doesn't appear to have any ulterior motives/spyware/adware, and appears to actually have no strings; an avalanche of marketing never swallowed me up.

• Members

bookmarked! though i find if i use such things more than once in a song it'll almost always be a loser in the end, but i like playing with such programs, and thanks for scouting the safety b2b!

Well... I should rush to add that it's been a while since I DL'd my copy. And, you know what they say, stuff happens. ;)

But last time I checked, it seemed safe. :wave:

But I note that the download itself is hosted at CNET, and they certify it 'spyware free.' So, that's pretty reassuring, I think. But let me know if there's any sort of obnoxious marketing or anything you run into.

• Members

Yeah... clearly that will get you off the hook. :D

BTW, I probably should have mentioned -- speaking of near rhymes, that I've more than occasionally found the stacks of rhymes and near rhymes offered up by VersePerfect (in the McGill thing) to be almost too much -- by the time I've rooted around through all the rhymes, I've lost the gist of what I was trying to say. ;)

But where it might be more useful could be after the muses have flown and left you to clean up and fix up whatever they left behind... I'm usually unburdened by inspiration at that point and so can afford to take the time to tinker and drill in word choice and rhyme scheme.

That said, for me, rhyme has become such an integral -- and, often, somewhat intuitive and certainly interwoven -- part of the songwriting process that getting the right rhyme seems often to be part of the of the primary process.

• Moderators

I'll describe how I've used rhyming dictionaries successfully in the past. I agree with you Blue on this:

rhyme has become such an integral -- and, often, somewhat intuitive and certainly interwoven -- part of the songwriting process that getting the right rhyme seems often to be part of the of the primary process.

So I tend to get it all while I'm on fire. Going with rhymes that come at me naturally. But... After I've got off that, or as you say, I'm "unburdened by inspiration", and I start finding lines that aren't cutting it. A rhyming dictionary can be a great way to inspire a cool line. A better line. You already know what you're saying. You just want to say it better.

At that point I start looking for different rhymes and sometimes magic will jump out at me. A nice rhyme will inspire a direction for a new line. By that time, I'm less easily swayed to just get a good rhyme. I'm looking for the right idea... from a list of rhymes.

Sometimes it works.

Archived