EL84 amps-how well do they take overdrive pedals?

surfcat

• Members

Classic 30, Lonestar Special, Tiny Terror, Rebel 20-all amps I'm considering. Will they like my Ocd, Od808, Fulldrive, etc.? I like to run the amp with some od and use the pedal for more-don't really use totally clean amp sounds much. Blues rock to classic rock to '80's metal.

• Members

My AC30 and Blues Jr both are el84s I like the ts9 with both. For mor gain and sustain, I'm searching myself. I tried the Rapco brat for a while and became unsatisfied. Then I went to the Boss mega distortion. It's cool for like Green day, Quenns of the Stone Age or maybe even Weezer. I like the flexibility of boosting the mids. I like the ability to get all the sustain any one would ever need. But I'm still searching.

I'm chasing Queen and thin Lizzy tones.

Haven't tried a boost or an EQ yet

Oh, sorry I have it backwards. Your looking at teh Amps. I like the Peavey classic 30 and the Carvin 30 watt tweed amp. Both have lots of great sounding gain and take pedals well. I played in a band for a while with a guy who ran both.

• Members

I've used a TS808 and (currently) a Barber Direct Drive in front of a Matchless Lightning clone. I max the MV & set the gain up to 4 or 5, right on the edge of breakup. I think it sounds great and gives me options for "nearly clean" by rolling the guitar volume back a bit, slightly crunchy or very hairy with the DD on.

It sounds good in it's own way though. Don't expect it to mimic an overdriven 50w EL34 amp.

• Members

The power section of your amp really doesn't care whether you've got a pedal in front of it or not. It's the PREAMP section that determines whether or not your amp's gonna play nice with pedals or not.

my thoughts also.

The power tubes arent the ones eing pushed by the OD.

• Members

I have a Laney L-20 that works great with a tube screamer... straight to Santana through shred to over the top, and keeps pretty good definition. Usually hard to EQ el-84's for both extremes... consider a pedal w/ real good EQ, or an outboard EQ.

Archived