Friday Influences Thread 04.02.10

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you as a songwriter in the past ... or since the last FIT?

For the last several months, I've been listening to a lot of Glen Hansard. As many of you may know, he was in Once and won an Oscar with Marketa Irglova for song of the year with Falling Slowly and has put out two CDs with her as The Swell Season.

I recently memorized a song he wrote for an album (For The Birds) he did with The Frames called Lay Me Down. Though the song is only several years old, it feels much older.

The verses are asymmetrical: first verse is six lines without an end-rhyme scheme, and the second verse is four lines rhyming abcb. Fairly straight forward chord progression, but in the breaks Hansard plays a wonderfully odd chord, xx0330. Lovely singable melody and I love the way the ends of lines meld into the beginnings of the next ones.

And if you wanna stay with me

Then let me know before it's light

I, I will recoil myself

Into the black and darkest night

[YOUTUBE]-ckMuoi48z4[/YOUTUBE]

fyi,

. Cool to hear the violin and then later a banjo shows up.

• Moderators

Nice tune Stack. Great description you provided before I listened. That was fun.

My inspiration this week is Project Management. I was called into our CEO's office and he barked out some very specific requests. He needed a video done (I'm an audio guy) about a subject I know nothing about. A new service product of ours. Learn the subject, this is your spoke model, find green screen in town, learn the product yesterday and have me a professional video by the 11th. Go write a script about this thing you don't know anything about. You're project chief.

I freaked but gave a "no problem".

Project management is a lot like songwriting. You can't get it right until you try something and find out what's wrong about it. And make it better. So you stick your neck out ready for your head to be chopped off. Ready. It gets chopped off and you grow another more suitable head. The quicker you stick your neck out the quicker you get it wrong so you can get it right... quicker.

Like songwriting.

I haven't had a chance to listen to music this week so that is in fact my inspiration.

Do what?

• Members

Thread killer...

Kid and wife got hit by Norwalk earlier in the week (so up to 4 am with buckets), and then got it myself 2 days later so I've had little time to really appreciate music 'cept while looking for easter stuff for the kids I picked up the latest Weezer album -- more on a whim I really wanted to give a full album a listen since I think they are very catchy pop pseudo-punkish stuff.

[YOUTUBE]cDIzMGh94vo[/YOUTUBE]

Which also brought memories of stuff I used to listen to a long while ago .. The Flaming Lips.

[YOUTUBE]AfpyoGFJNNE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Lee (or any of the more production oriented forumites):

I'm thinking of covering Omaha, and I want to keep the big, clean bass sound. The arrangement sounds like drums, bass guitar, double tracked acoustic guitar, double tracked lead vocals, harmony vocals, and pedal steel. The drums sound like the kick isn't even mic'ed, just bleeding through on the overheads, and the acoustics sound high passed around 1K (with maybe a little bump around 2K) so the whole spectrum between 100-1K is pretty much devoted to the bass. I don't have a pedal steel (much less the ability to play one), so I was thinking of doing the fills with a Telecaster and a clean Fender/chicken-picken tone. The vocals are going to be a disaster, but that's somewhat unavoidable - high pass the crap out of them and hope for the best.

Any thoughts?

Archived