Axe-FX mic'ed up in stereo.

riffy

• Members

This
:confused:

i though you (isvoid) didn't like the snax fx
:lol:

Not true. Go back and look at my :snax:FX posts. I just refuse to be a frothing evangelist for any gear or manufacturer, including the :snax:FX. It's great gear -- I suck using it as much as I do on analog equipment, and it faithfully replicates my ineptitude. Self flagellation aside, The versatility and realism of said :snax:FX to me is awesome, surprising. If anyone has a different POV their entitled to it and to be honest -- I don't care -- I don't want to spend time engaged in useless arguments when I could be making useless, but (debatably) amusing images. :wave:

• Members

Don't forget "more spatial".
:cop:

Baaaa -- I merely illuminated the magic Cliff boxed up for us.
:D

Ya know, I couldn't put my finger on what it was, but more spatial is a very good discription. Just simply bigger sounding and like it is pushing

a LOT more air.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of the tone. I'm with DeadNightWarrior. It sounds a bit thin.

Man,

No wonder you didn't like yours. Not saying what you do or don't hear either here but,I don't hear that on any of 8 systems I have listened to

it on today and last night...No thinness at all. In fact it seems to me

much thicker than what I usually go for by far.

Just tends to make one wonder.

• Members
Oh man, sounds anything but thin and bright here on my system, cars stereo, home stereo and iPod. I even ran it through a boom box (the CD I burned of it that is) and it still sounds anything but thin and bright.

It's not thin as in say, Metal Zone through a Rage 158 kind of thin. I guess the Vai comparison sounds on the right track to me. Vai's sound always seems kinda thin in a way to me. Something in the way different areas of the mids are set I think. :idk:

• Members

It's not thin as in say, Metal Zone through a Rage 158 kind of thin. I guess the Vai comparison sounds on the right track to me. Vai's sound always seems kinda thin in a way to me. Something in the way different areas of the mids are set I think.
:idk:

Now that I completely understand... Vai is a thick lead sound to me. I really dig his lead sound... I find George Lynch to have a much thinner sharper kind of guitar tone and that is the way I usually swing.

Thanks for taking your time to listen and really make your comments

make sense to me!

• Members

That sounded great! I've got to get an axe fx now.

I LOVE mine. The Axe-FX is simply the best piece of kit I have EVER owned. Period. I am a HUGE SLO fan and also older Marshalls along with

old 2 channel Rectos. I have all that covered with ease with the Axe-FX.

There is a bit of a learning curve, as there is a lot to sus on the unit. But,

once you get the hang of it, you will be able to conjure any tone that you

have the ears to envision.

BTW, I am updating mine to 7.17 tonight and will work up a couple of presets with the modified firmware and will post about the results tomorrow!

Gary

• Members
Now that I completely understand... Vai is a thick lead sound to me. I really dig his lead sound... I find George Lynch to have a much thinner sharper kind of guitar tone and that is the way I usually swing.

Thanks for taking your time to listen and really make your comments

make sense to me!

Yeah, the Vai sound is "thin" to my ears. Not in the same way as a little practice amp, but thin nonetheless. Same reason I had to get rid of the Evos from my UV... they just had something weird in the high mids that made it sound like Vai's tone, and it gave me the {censored}s.

I'm generally either into say the old Petrucci type lead tones, or big fat tones like what Guthrie has going in the vids up on youtube where he's playing to backing tracks 'n' {censored}. :idk:

In the end... yeah, it's just a matter of personal taste.

• Members

Yeah, the Vai sound is "thin" to my ears. Not in the same way as a little practice amp, but thin nonetheless. Same reason I had to get rid of the Evos from my UV... they just had something weird in the high mids that made it sound like Vai's tone, and it gave me the {censored}s.

I'm generally either into say the old Petrucci type lead tones, or big fat tones like what Guthrie has going in the vids up on youtube where he's playing to backing tracks 'n' {censored}.
:idk:

In the end... yeah, it's just a matter of personal taste.

That is so strange... We are at opposite sides of the spectrum, yet we both still LOVE the same piece of gear. That says something about the

Axe-FX doesn't it!?

I do dearly love Petrucci's Recto and RoadKing rhythm tones though!

• Members
That is so strange... We are at opposite sides of the spectrum, yet we both still LOVE the same piece of gear. That says something about the

Axe-FX doesn't it!?

I do dearly love Petrucci's Recto and RoadKing rhythm tones though!

I can't stand Petrucci's Recto tones. :o:lol:

But yeah... the Axe certainly is an incredible piece of gear. I've played around with all sorts of tones now that I'd normally never play get to try out (largely coz a. I couldn't afford to have all those amps, and b. We get {censored} all gear here in Australia :o). The Cornford with a lowshelf filter in front gives me solid oak that you could build a bridge out of. :o

• Members
Not true. Go back and look at my :snax:FX posts. I just refuse to be a frothing evangelist for any gear or manufacturer, including the :snax:FX. It's great gear -- I suck using it as much as I do on analog equipment, and it faithfully replicates my ineptitude. Self flagellation aside, The versatility and realism of said :snax:FX
to me
is awesome, surprising. If anyone has a different POV their entitled to it and to be honest -- I don't care -- I don't want to spend time engaged in useless arguments when I could be making useless, but (debatably) amusing images.
:wave:

yea me too, that's one of the reasons why i don't post on the Fractal audio forum, there's a lot of "sick love" for the snax fx in there :cop:
By the way the link you posted don't work :confused:

• Members

The lead tones dont sound bad at all. They're not that thin sounding to me. If anything its the wet mix of the delay thats a bit too much for me. I would dial that back slightly but I still thought it sounded good for that style. The rhythm guitar is what was lacking in my opinion. But {censored}, Kenwood home speakers? That's {censored}ing awesome. :lol:

• Members

Man,

No wonder you didn't like yours. Not saying what you do or don't hear either here but,I don't hear that on any of 8 systems I have listened to

it on today and last night...No thinness at all. In fact it seems to me

much thicker than what I usually go for by far.

Just tends to make one wonder.

I listened to it again. I still think it's thin. It's not bad tone. It's a good tone, just a bit on the thin side for what I prefer. Considering the speakers you used to record it with, it's great tone. Maybe it's more the mix that I didn't like, I like the guitar more upfront.

It reminded me somewhat of my POD recordings and what I don't like about them. Not saying it's a POD, because people get deffensive If I use POD and Axe-Fx in the same paragraph. The reason I didn't keep the axe, might have been my flashback to my first day with the POD when I was trying out the Axe-fx presets. I was just hoping for a ballsy fat tube tone right off with the Axe-Fx through a FRFR setup and I was disappointed. It sounded great through a tube power amp and into a cab, but that what I wanted it for. I wanted it more for direct recording and playing with just the Axe into a PA.

I've always liked your clips and we seem to have a similar taste in styles and tones. I've just heard tones I've liked more from the Axe than this one.

Archived