DiMArzio Evolution on a LP style guitar

guitarbilly74

• Members

I think it'd sound fine. The Evo is a badass pickup, and it cuts really nicely. I don't think it'd be muddy or anything in mahogany. I say CHEAH.
:idk: Give it a shot, man. Worst that can happen is, you don't like it, and end up flippin' it or trading it. Evos are popular, so, no big deal.

• Members

Not a great idea. If I remember correctly the Evolution was designed to get Les Paul-esque tones on a lighter, thinner guitar (like the JEM). Using it on an LP seems pointless, when there are so many better pickups for the same thing. Then again, I've heard a few LP users who've had great success with the Evo. :idk:

That said, there's no harm in giving it a go if it's not costing you anything, if it doesn't work out you shouldn't have any trouble getting a good resale price on the Evo by selling to a Vai fanboy or something.

• Members

I use an EVO2 in the bridge of my 2001 Santana SE (mahogany). Very mid-heavy sounding through the amp. From what I have heard and read about the standard EVO, this would only be more pronounced.

I will tell you what works great in the neck...Duncan Jazz.

• Members

My Ibanez J-Customs are mahog bodies with maple tops. I have the EVO pickups in one of them and they sound fabulous in there! Super 3 in one and the Custom 5 in the other. All three sound great and give them each a unique sound.

• Members

Billy,

A great pickup that I think would sound great in your Hamer is a Tonerider Generator. It is an Alnico 5 magnet, but it rips in that type of guitar. Mahogany body, maple top style guitars that I have had this pickup in absolutely rip. To me the pickup reminds me of the JB without the upper harshness and bigger, tighter bass.

Take a look at them on their website:

Tonerider Humbuckers

It has been a favorite of mine, so much that I haven't even looked at another company for my pickup needs. I have used their Generator for some time now, and just switched over to the Alnico IV Classic just to see if I would like low output pups. The Generator really pushes an amp, especially a DSL! It sounds pretty killer.

Cole

• Members

just curious billy-- why do you like more gain from the pickup than the amp?

i find i like the opposite a lot more because of the extra clarity if affords when rolling my volume knob off... i'd rather drive the hell out of the amp than gain it out, and deal with the artifacts of preamp-mostly gain.

Archived