Songwriting challenge entry...

mparsons

• Members

On this other forum I visit, there was a songwriting challenge. You told the dude running it what gear you have and he tells you a genre/style to do.

This is what I get:

Hi Matt! I really like your music, so I'm here to ruin your day! You get to make the world's first symphonic slam song! Your track will be heavily influenced by 'Demigod'-era Behemoth and extremely guttural slam ala Waking The Cadaver or Digested Flesh. The symphonic element must be pronounced (I highly recommend choir effects). See if you can take the most thuggish style of metal and turn it into an amazing experience! By the way, the lyrics will detail an Aztec-style ritual involving you raping and murdering your last ex-girlfriend to sacrifice to the sun god. Happy slamming!

Now I {censored}ing HATE slam death metal. Hate it. So I was at a loss of what to do.

However...

Here's my entry. It needs vocals still, working on those now.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=442291&songID=7808023

What do you think?

• Members

Sounds pretty damn good.

A couple places the keys clash with the guitar in a "non" musical way..I can tell where you placed deliberate dissonance but specific example is :47. and at 1:07 it sounds like a carnival..if that was your intention then :thu: other wise maybe try a piano sound?

Just my humble suggestions.

• Members
Sounds pretty damn good.

A couple places the keys clash with the guitar in a "non" musical way..I can tell where you placed deliberate dissonance but specific example is :47. and at 1:07 it sounds like a carnival..if that was your intention then
:thu:
other wise maybe try a piano sound?

Thanks for listening!

The 1:07 thing is intentional, good that it reminds you of a carnival :thu: Aztec sacrificial rituals were like a damn rock concert, the whole culture behind it is really fascinating.

• Members
Sounds pretty damn good.

A couple places the keys clash with the guitar in a "non" musical way..I can tell where you placed deliberate dissonance but specific example is :47. and at 1:07 it sounds like a carnival..if that was your intention then
other wise maybe try a piano sound?

Agree on almost everything you said there, except for the piano part. Should be a harpsichord

Sounds good!

• Members

It wounds cool, but IMO, the symphonic stuff is kind overbearing, volume-wise, and some of the note choices, as previously mentioned, sound awkward. I think with the "symphonic" stuff being as loud as it is, the mix sounds really empty without it.

• Members
Thanks for listening!

The 1:07 thing is intentional, good that it reminds you of a carnival
Aztec sacrificial rituals were like a damn rock concert, the whole culture behind it is really fascinating.

Ok then. How about some tribal drums and chanting in the back? Like Aztec-a-poloza :)

• Members
Ok then. How about some tribal drums and chanting in the back? Like Aztec-a-poloza
:)

Tribal drums would be awesome but I don't have any of that... Or chanting...

Hmm.. Actually I might be able to do chanting... :D

Archived