OT: Need advice from cell phone gurus

Guiary

• Members

It's time for me to step into the 21st century and update my cell phone, but I'm torn between two: (why these two? cause they seem to offer what I'm looking for available with my current service provider)

BlackBerry Storm

-or-

Samsung Omnia

Fight to the Death!!!:mad:

• Members

Storm

Trust me, the samsung touch screens suck nuts. I have had so many returned because no matter how hard they tried, the screen would not calibrate properly.

That's what I've been reading off of a bunch of sites. Also it seems that the Omnia gets a higher rating from the magazine sites, but user reviews have been positive towards the Storm.

• Members

That's what I've been reading off of a bunch of sites. Also it seems that the Omnia gets a higher rating from the magazine sites, but user reviews have been positive towards the Storm.

Samsung pays a lot of sites to review their stuff higher. I am sure that RIM does too, but just trust your gut on this one man...the Storm is where its at.

• Members

I have heard the Storm click-screen wears out very quickly.

The one they had in the store to try out was completely unusable, you couldn't click anything. It had only been out for a week at that point as well.

Sometimes store traffic and playing, especially with all the hype and promotions around the BB Storm, causes the phones to get used 10x more than they will by a single user.

• Members

I have heard the Storm click-screen wears out very quickly.

The one they had in the store to try out was completely unusable, you couldn't click anything. It had only been out for a week at that point as well.

Dammit!

I thought this was going to be an easy decision!

Alright maybe I'll list the phones available through my service provider and see what comes out on top.

• Members

Sometimes store traffic and playing, especially with all the hype and promotions around the BB Storm, causes the phones to get used 10x more than they will by a single user.

While I normally agree this is a very small store that is seldom busy. And like I said the phone had been out for a week, even if you multiply that by ten times the usage that is still only 10x weeks.

I take you are looking at verizon phones? That is my carrier as well now. Honestly the only smartphones they have the look like they are worth it are the non-touchscreen Blackberries.

• Members

I take you are looking at verizon phones? That is my carrier as well now. Honestly the only smartphones they have the look like they are worth it are the non-touchscreen Blackberries.

Basically the same provider, if you come to BC you'll be on the Telus network. Same goes for me when I'm in the States, I'm on the Verizon network.

• Members

Left monkey nut > Verizon

T-Mobile = Win.

Switched 2 mo ago and love it, plus they have super cheap Wifi phones.

Phone bill is like $42 (after tax) for 1000 min and 300 txt. Got the $39.99 special with 1000 min.

But if you HAVE to have internet for every five minutes you get bored (or fell the piss-urgent need to post on here), get a Crackberry or HTC. The new HTC Dream comes to T-Mobile in a month or so, sweet specs and a looker. Check it out.

• Members

The Storm is a buggy pos, get the Tour if you want a Blackberry

I was tghinking of dropping my wing and going for the $99 iphone.

Is there a family plan for Iphone? I want one for the future wife and me. I imagine they rape you with data on each.

You can have a family plan with the iphone, but data is still $30 a month per phone

• Members

Maybe they're better now, but the first Storm's were crap. Slow, buggy, poor software. My daughter had the first one out, went through two in less than two months. Finally got a Blackberry Curve, and she said she'd never go back. She loves the Curve.

Also, be prepared to pay if your on Verizon. Just two phones, 700 minutes. Her Curve and my wife's cell with some text packages are over $130 a month.

• Members

Maybe they're better now, but the first Storm's were crap. Slow, buggy, poor software. My daughter had the first one out, went through two in less than two months. Finally got a Blackberry Curve, and she said she'd never go back. She loves the Curve.

Also, be prepared to pay if your on Verizon. Just two phones, 700 minutes. Her Curve and my wife's cell with some text packages are over $130 a month.

You can get 700 minutes with unlimited texting on two lines with verizon for $99 a month.

If your daughter has internet on her line that is an extra $30 a month.

• Members

You can get 700 minutes with unlimited texting on two lines with verizon for $99 a month.

If your daughter has internet on her line that is an extra $30 a month.

Yep, that's what I said. But what new Blackberry users might not know, is you HAVE to pay the extra $30 (actually, it might me $39, I don't remember without the bill) a month because you can't use a Blackberry without the "Blackberry Package".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Storm is a buggy pos, get the Tour if you want a Blackberry

You can have a family plan with the iphone, but data is still $30 a month per phone

I picked up a Blackberry Tour and it is FANTASTIC. I have no urge to buy a Palm Pre, now. Best Blackberry I've owned. The keyboard is perfect, the OS is snappy and responsive, and the screen is the same resolution as the iPhone, just smaller. It's SO sharp. I love it!

{censored} a touch screen. Give me a real keyboard any day.

Archived