OT: computer dudes, how hard would it be to replace my internet card in my LT?

bluesboy

• Members

The network card in my laptop went caput (it has a little yellow light that's always on, and my internet stopped working). Device manager says it's working properly, but obviously it isnt. Ive replaced these in desktops, but im curious how hard it would be in my laptop. Any experience with this? Im mostly concerned about how hard it might be to take it apart. Its a 2006 Gateway

• Members

It depends on the comp, but in a lot of laptops, the NIC is part of the mobo. It may be easiest/cheapest to just use the USB connection you have now. You would probably have to contact Gateway to find out what yours has, and if there are parts available.

• Members

That would suck. I'd hate to not be able to run wireless. I like to lay in the bed and watch episodes of stuff online and sit on the couch and surf.

I'd find some way to get it fixed. You might have to replace a lot of stuff though.

Laptops are so cheap right now. I'd buy another one honestly. I only paid 729 for this one and right now they got it for like 679. Comes stock with 4 gigs of ram core 2 duo. It's a great laptop. HP dv5 bronze.

I got 8 gigs of ram in it now. I have no load times for anything no matter how many programs I have running.

• Members

In the case of bad integrated wireless, there is always the option of disabling it, and using a USB wifi adapter. I've got an old laptop for guests to use, it's got an old Linksys wireless-B USB adapter to take the place of the dead on-board unit.

• Members

The network card in my laptop went caput (it has a little yellow light that's always on, and my internet stopped working). Device manager says it's working properly, but obviously it isnt. Ive replaced these in desktops, but im curious how hard it would be in my laptop. Any experience with this? Im mostly concerned about how hard it might be to take it apart. Its a 2006 Gateway

You could buy a USB wireless network card for around 10-20 bucks to use. That will probably be cheaper and easier to replace.

• Members

In the case of bad integrated wireless, there is always the option of disabling it, and using a USB wifi adapter. I've got an old laptop for guests to use, it's got an old Linksys wireless-B USB adapter to take the place of the dead on-board unit.

Yeah I have one of those connected to my directv dvr. But I wouldn't want to carry one of those around with my laptop or to the couch or anywhere.

I'd replace the one on the laptop and if it was going to cost too much I'd buy a new one. Hell even some of the 400 dollar laptops have decent specs.

• Members

Definitely. This one only gets used mostly every other weekend when my kid visits. I already had the adapter in a box of parts, so it was no money laid out to get him online. He doesn't need portability, he just needs to keep up with teh myspace.

• Members

Yeah I have one of those connected to my directv dvr. But I wouldn't want to carry one of those around with my laptop or to the couch or anywhere.

I'd replace the one on the laptop and if it was going to cost too much I'd buy a new one. Hell even some of the 400 dollar laptops have decent specs.

I looked in the Best Buy sales ads today and saw a couple of laptops for $300!! Looked good, too, 2GB memory, decent dual core processor, 100+GB HDD...

• Members

I looked in the Best Buy sales ads today and saw a couple of laptops for $300!! Looked good, too, 2GB memory, decent dual core processor, 100+GB HDD...

Theres one on sale right now for like 550. It has a real core 2 duo. Not a pentium dual core. Which gets way hotter. It has 4 gigs of ram. 64 bit vista. really good wireless card. Dual layer burner. Has the touch sensitive media keys. A button that turns the mouse pad on and off for when you're using a real mouse.

It's basically just like mine but it's not in the bronze color and it has a bigger screen. 16 inch. Mine is a 15 inch. I liked the 15 better.

I love this computer.

Oh yeah 320 gig hard drive. I got an external hard drive for like 80 bucks that has 750 gigs! I keep everything I own on it. And it serves as a backup.

• Members

my wireless internet is a separate thing, and that still works. It's the regular internet wire connection that no longer works. My modem can connect through the USB, which im currently doing at my apt where i dont have wireless

• Members

my wireless internet is a separate thing, and that still works. It's the regular internet wire connection that no longer works. My modem can connect through the USB, which im currently doing at my apt where i dont have wireless

Why don't you buy a wireless router? They are not very expensive.

• Members

wired isn't no faster. I tested mine really good. It's the same. I'm close to the router though. Used to wired was faster when I first got it and I installed a new update they came out with that fixed it.

• Members

for the fourth or fifth time:

1) my computer has a a regular network card, which is your typical LAN wired connection. You know, it looks like a phone connection wire but it's a little bigger. this is not working.

2) My internet connection (verizon DSL) can connect through the LAN wired connection (not working on my laptop) OR through a USB connection (this still works, that's what im using).

3) my computer also has a SEPARATE wireless adaptor. This still works. I just have no wireless router at my apartment.

Archived