sentenced to 2 years in prison for song lyrics

murdock

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
This remnds me of a dope dealer we raided. We found a good amount of dope, along with guns in his house. He also fancied himself a rapper, and had a bunch of CD's made of his songs, with nice liner notes with his picture and name, etc. Most of the songs were about.....

dealing dope. Making deliveries. How he conducted business, how he tried to stay off our radar. He specifically mentioned our unit. We didn't know all this beforehand, but it was nice to have the CD to play in court with transcriptions of the lyrics for the jury to read, so when he got on the stand and tried to deny he was a dealer, the prosecution could say, "But you say in this song..."

:facepalm:

That's really really funny. :lol:

• Members

Congress Shall Make No Law... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.

Whether he said he was going to kill anyone for any reason, it should not be a crime. Whether he recorded it and sold it for profit, containing any threat, should not be a crime.

• Members

Whether he said he was going to kill anyone for any reason, it should not be a crime. Whether he recorded it and sold it for profit, containing any threat, should not be a crime.

Constitution/Law.

If it says it's wrong on a piece of paper, it must be ultimate truth.

• Members

Apparently you've never heard of the old "yelling fire in a crowded theater" limitation on free speech.

• Members

Constitution/Law.

If it says it's wrong on a piece of paper, it must be ultimate truth.

Wat

No, seriously, what?

The Constitution is the supreme law of the United States of America. Meaning that the constitution supersedes all other law in the country.

• Members

Wat

No, seriously, what?

The Constitution is the supreme law of the United States of America. Meaning that the constitution supersedes all other law in the country.

Like I said.

If it says so on a piece of paper, it is the ultimate truth and must be so.

You are free.

It says it on the paper :o

• Members

Apparently you've never heard of the old "yelling fire in a crowded theater" limitation on free speech.

Yes, I have. A ruling made in the early 1900's. Consider the fact that the intent of the ruling was to say that issuing speech that is incorrect/false and dangerous is inherently distinguishable from speech that is true and dangerous, and is a feasible limitation on free speech. I personally don't agree with it completely, but that court ruling has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Oh, and by the way, the court ruling in question was levied agains a person who was distributing flyers protesting the draft in WWI, citing that a clear and present danger outweighed the necessity of free speech. A decision that was later overturned in 1969.

• Members

Wat

No, seriously, what?

You do understand that there is abundant case law interpreting the Constitution, and that some of that case law applies limitations to free speech, right?

• Members
Yes, I have. A ruling made in the early 1900's. Consider the fact that the intent of the ruling was to say that issuing speech that is incorrect/false and dangerous is inherently distinguishable from speech that is true and dangerous, and is a feasible limitation on free speech. I personally don't agree with it completely, but that court ruling has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Ok. :rolleyes:

• Members

You do understand that there is abundant case law interpreting the Constitution, and that some of that case law applies limitations to free speech, right?

Yes, I do, and I also understand that there are two sides to the issue. My assertion is that the right to speech and press should not be abridged in any way, shape, or form, regardless of the content.

• Members

Ok? Fact is fact. Do you have a rebuttal, or are you just going to dismiss me as a nut?

Yes, I do, and I also understand that there are two sides to the issue. My assertion is that the right to speech and press should not be abridged in any way, shape, or form, regardless of the content.

Well, I guess I'll just have to dismiss you as a nut. Sorry.

• Members

Hey, imgooley this is what I came up with...

The appellant, a leader of a Ku Klux Klan group, was convicted under the Ohio Criminal Syndicalism statute for "advocat[ing] . . . the duty, necessity, or propriety [p445] of crime, sabotage, violence, or unlawful methods of terrorism as a means of accomplishing industrial or political reform" and for

voluntarily assembl[ing] with any society, group, or assemblage of persons formed to teach or advocate the doctrines of criminal syndicalism.

Ohio Rev.Code Ann.

Archived