'Blow It Up' WIP - suggestions?

DukeOfBoom

• Members

Your voice has really improved, dukey. This sounds great.

It reminds me of that punk kinda London Calling type song...

You're a rather angry young man, aren't ye sir? lol

I really like the bridge guitar bit too.

I like this a lot. It kinda reminds me a BIT of this...

[video=youtube;exGqZwbCwAE]

• Members

I'd like to hear the vocals a little more rhythmic--you're stretching the meter in several places, and it detracts from the nihilistic intentions of the lyric.

I think rsadasiv might be saying that the guitars get a bit proggy in places; they're overly structured and contradict the chorus.

• Moderators

I personally like the proggy bits mixed with the pissed off punk vocals. The chorus though, does need to be a little hookier. You sing the hell out of it!!! You're channeling Shaun Ryder!

"I wanna watch it" has the same rhythm as "I don't like it" and "I don't like how...". I think that's where your issue with the chorus is. You need some contrast rhythmically. How about a gang chorus singing the (iwannawatchit) all bunched up together rhythmically then you sing the responses?

(iwannawatchit)

watch it blow up

(iwannawatchit)

watch it explode

(iwannawatchit)

watch it bleed

And for world to see

• Members

I'd like to hear the vocals a little more rhythmic--you're stretching the meter in several places, and it detracts from the nihilistic intentions of the lyric.

I think rsadasiv might be saying that the guitars get a bit proggy in places; they're overly structured and contradict the chorus.

hey, what does 'stretching the meter' mean?

• Members

hey, what does 'stretching the meter' mean?

It seems to me the song would be stronger if they lyrics had a consistent meter: duh DA duh DA duh DA duh DA

Whereas you do that in some places, but in other places: duh duh DA duh DA duh duh duh DA duh DA

Hope that makes sense. Wife is asleep, so I can't replay and pull some specific examples.

• Members

It seems to me the song would be stronger if they lyrics had a consistent meter: duh DA duh DA duh DA duh DA

Whereas you do that in some places, but in other places: duh duh DA duh DA duh duh duh DA duh DA

Hope that makes sense. Wife is asleep, so I can't replay and pull some specific examples.

yeah i know exactly what you're saying, but i had certain lyrics i needed to fit in. I remember reading that hendrix and dylan, if they had words they had to fit in, they made em fit :) so that's what i did

• Members

Gives off a sloppy, gritty punk vibe that I like with the intoxicated/ing wailing vocals and the angular riffage.. I think Lee's suggestion would be really awesome, it'd probably give it a black flag sort of vibe with the chorus of voices. I also don't think there's anything wrong with the proggyness, but that's just my preference I guess.

I like this. This is healthy, let out your anger. :p

• Members

Ok, tried this new chorus.

I think it sounds cool on its own. I don't know if it works with the rest of the song, since the verse is just G-E, and this sorta modulates into a G-major I-III-IV type deal.

I upped just the 2nd verse and chorus.

Is the modulation too strange, especially when juxtaposed against the lyrics?

here's the new link:

http://picosong.com/VJ3

• Members

To be honest, the guitar towards the end gives off an almost sadistically happy vibe. The fact that you can flow from one extreme mood to another is pretty boss, and I think it sounds great.

BUT I think you should start singing the "and so I spend way too much time alone" right after the line before it to flow it perfectly instead of fumbling over it - I think it'd sound MUCH better if you keep the flow consistent.

Sounds a bit awkward as it stands, but other than that, this sounds like something you'd hear on a great punk record. Just repeat the last guitar phrase in your recording before it cuts off and you could go right back to the beginning, rinse and repeat.

• Members

I remember reading that hendrix and dylan, if they had words they had to fit in, they made em fit
:)
so that's what i did

I don't want to be difficult, but I'm kind of saying here that you didn't. I'm of the camp that no lyric is important enough to sacrifice FEEL, and that's what you're doing here.

• Members

I don't want to be difficult, but I'm kind of saying here that you
didn't
. I'm of the camp that no lyric is important enough to sacrifice FEEL, and that's what you're doing here.

uh, well you're half right. i was remembered the details last night.

it was an interview with another artist, someone like john mayer or something, and he mentioned how he liked how hendrix would squeeze in words he wanted to say even if they didn't entirely fit. i think that's true especially in songs like 'castles made of sand'

but whatever, i get what you're saying.

• Moderators

this is going to be really hard to get across in writing

but on the chorus you could try the timing like

I , I (group of voices doing this) wanna watch it blooooow up

kind of 1, 1 , 1234 , 1 , 1

does that make any sense?

I get that.

• Members

stickyboy & lee: I really like the gang vox idea for the chorus. i tried tinkering with it last night, but couldn't make it work with the "iwannawatchit" so that it would sound good. I want to revisit that when I'm feeling more inspired though.

leonard: as far as i'm concerned, there's real {censored}, and fake {censored}. the fake {censored} can go to hell, even if that's what sells these days. :)

Archived