Marshall tone

Picktrade

• Members

This?

That is a hell of deal in my opinion! The head alone used to run for $1600 when they and the TSL were the top of line Marshalls. Ever since the Vintage Modern and the JVM stuff came out, the DSL has thus lowered in price.

I still think that if you wanted to get a DSL, look for a used one, and the money you save you could get a good cab to go with it that has good speakers and construction.

EDIT: Above statement is if you don't have a good cab already, or want a different type (i.e. closed back, open back, 4x12, 2x12, etc.)

Cole

• Members

Your best bet will be the DSL.

If you look around, you can find used for $600-$700, and sometimes even less if your lucky.
This amp will cover the Classic and More Modern Marshall sounds well.

The JCM 900 is way over priced at $900.
These usually go for around $500 - $600.

The problem with the Musicians friend deal is that the Cab is horrible.

Pick up a used DSL.

• Members

I am trying to find some info on the speaker that is in the Marshall MC412 cab. I know it is a Celestion Platform 50, but I cannot find any info on it.

EDIT: I found on the Marshall amp forum someone who took pictures of the speakers in his MC412 and the speakers in it are the Celestion Rocket 50s. I haven't found anything that certifies this yet, but if so you can read reviews on what people think of the Rocket 50 speakers. I know those particular speakers have a 17 oz. magnet, in comparison to say the Vintage 30 which has a 50 oz. magnet.

Cole

• Members

Thanks. I'm looking more for the classic rock sound than any super high gain stuff. As for price, my limit would be around $1200. I don't use clean tone too much in my current band so I'm more concerned with the Marshall crunch sound. I'll check out the DSL for sure.

with your budget you could probably find a decent used jcm 800. You might even want to check out a modded jcm 800 by fja. you can get any range of tones , from blues to classic rock to flat out metal. I love mine.

• Members
I love classic rock and it sounds so good coming from the DSL. The reason I mentioned high gain stuff is because most everyone on this board is all about the brootz. I dig mid gain type stuff a lot, but don't get me wrong I love the heavy stuff too.

The DSL is quite versatile, but I would say that if it excelled at any one thing, classic rock would be it's forte. The rhythm and lead tones you can get from one of these are just great!

Cole

:thu:

• Members

Marshall built some really cool amps over the years. I'd score a Jubilee were I you. It's the best of the Preamp base'd Marshalls. That being said you need to have it gone over if you do get one as they're all at least 20 years old and usually suffer many maladies.

You're going to get the most authentic classic tones from a classic Marshall. An old 1959 circuit JMP will get you all the classic rock tones but it's going to be stupid loud. You can get them modded to any configuration you want and they're still killer. Overall the best marshall tones I've heard are older style amps that have been modded to get more modern sounds. To me they sound better than the newer amps. Probably because a single channel circuit designed to do one thing really well is going to do it better than an amp that's designed to be a jack of all trades type amp.

That's kind of my attitude.

When I get the money I'm sending my JMP off to LA Sound design to get the "Dookie" mod (the same mod what's-his-name from Greenday uses) as IMO his tone is some of the better marshall sounds around and they're the ones who work on the amps.

• Members

I am trying to find some info on the speaker that is in the Marshall MC412 cab. I know it is a Celestion Platform 50, but I cannot find any info on it.

EDIT: I found on the Marshall amp forum someone who took pictures of the speakers in his MC412 and the speakers in it are the Celestion Rocket 50s. I haven't found anything that certifies this yet, but if so you can read reviews on what people think of the Rocket 50 speakers. I know those particular speakers have a 17 oz. magnet, in comparison to say the Vintage 30 which has a 50 oz. magnet.

Cole

Like I said earlier, the cab is a cheapo and the speakers have tiny magnets on them.

That said, they don't sound all that bad. Not the most rugged of cabs, but certainly serviceable.

• Members
I've done this with an AC30 and a JCM800. With my SG, it was pretty freakin awesome.

If only I got a 3 line selector and added an SLO for the leads, but I would also need around 3k laying around
:o

How's the mic'ing/PA/mixing thing work for you? I suppose you probably ALWAYS run sound yourselves with PLENTY of channels. And then there's shipping and handling.

Idunno....I guess I believe there are amps/pedal out there that do okay with/out the dual amp setup.

I Was about to suggest a Boss OD2 turbo pedal in front of his Fender. I'm surprised he didn't get more responses in that regard. Most Fender amps LOVE pedals to really hot rod the sound.

• Members
What were you doing to try to get the Marshall tone out of your Fender amps? Did you try some pedals? A lot of people swear by the MI Audio Crunch Box.

No i had no luck with this. I initially got a fender DRRI and put MI Audio crunch box and i was disappointed big time. Needles to say i bought a Marshall dsl 50 few months latter, couldn't be more happy now. only thing that is missing is a nice gibson les paul to my arsenal. :thu:

• Members

The reviews on harmony central seem to be pretty good. I have heard that the reissue amps aren't exactly the same as the original design, someone correct me if I am wrong on this. If the amp sounds as good as the people say on those reviews, I would say it would be worth it.

From what I understand those older Marshall amps are ridiculously loud (i.e., at the volume it starts to sound good) so if you want a quiet amp, this would probably need an attenuator.

Cole

• Members

Come to think of it the Vintage Modern might be just up your alley..........You should be able to snag a used one just under $1K. Have you checked these amps out yet? They do the classic rock thing really, really well.

Check out this clip courtesy of Pro Guitar Shop.com

Vjs14AEk12c&fmt=18

Cole

Archived