Find That Girl

• Members

I don't mean to hog this most excellent stage, but this one jumped all over me and I need to deal with the lyrics. It seems that someone out in British Colombia wants to put a drum track on it and then send it over to a studio in London to run it through some fancy Neve desk. Go figure.

I don't very often have two going at once, but my amazing muse has been, well.....amazing.

Anyway, I did the music to this quickly on the wings of the chorus but when I hit the red button for a vocal track I had nothing written down. Everything in these verses was extemporaneous, which is ok for a scratch track, but.....I like it. Or a lot of it anyway.

Need to make some quick decisions and get this one off to....wander all around the world......:cool:

Somebody needs to stop me from keeping this like it is, which is something like this.....

Find That Girl

I'm gonna wander all around this big wide world

Until I find that girl

Until I find her

Until I find

That girl

Repeat

Maybe she's down in Houston town

I'd like to find her there

Maybe she's off in Istanbul....somewhere

She might be out in China

I'd like to find ya:facepalm:

Chorus

Instr

She might be on her island still

Hey I'd like to find her there

She'll maybe be lookin' beautiful

And so tan and lovely

She may be down in Virginia

Oh I'd like to find her there

Chorus

That's it. Really. Two lame verses and a hokey chorus. Somewhat....vacuous....at best. And yet I like it.

Guess I'm easy.

See? This is what happens if you don't practice the craft of songwriting. All you young songwriters out there....Get Serious! Listen to blue and Lee Knight. Read all of LCK's lyrics....or find yourselves wandering down the dark and lonely road that leads to, well.......Scaperville.

• Moderators

Or North Carolina

Though I sort of dig "find ya" too. :)

I think it's great. You could add a bridge that brings in a little traditional Lenny.

I've never met her

I never seen her

But I know she's waiting to be found

I can't forget her

Her cool demeanor

That's why I wander all around...

Until I find that girl

Until I find her

• Moderators

What if you created a melodic instrumental hook for the intro and tags. And outro too. Like that melody of the bolded bits below

Until I find that girl

Until I find her

Then put them together so you have "Wander all around - until I find her". Just the melody from those lyrics joined together in one tight phrase. Then... if you were to play that melody as an intro on your harp. And double with lead. Just straight melody for this bit, to create a sort of brass section hook.

It's bringing to mind Jackson Browne's homage's to the 50's. Stay, etc.

• Members

Ooohhh, I like that instrumental hook idea........work that over a bit tonight.

And if I can convince myself to retrack these vocals (yeah, I know......just do it!) that China/North Carolina solves that issue beautifully as I can't just keep using that same 'find her' thing at the end of each verse.

Thanks, Lee.:cool:

• Members

I like it. I like Lee's ideas. I don't have much else to add

I'll get lost in Boston

wander round Austin?

Maybe off where Big Ben chimes, maybe in Times Square.

I don't know. I don't have a strong enough sense of the rhythm to offer much.

The reason I threw in Big Ben and Times Square is because it's possible (just possible, mind you) that if you stick with states and countries you run the risk of sounding derivative of "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys. I also think it's cool to mix the idea that she might somewhere in huge country like China, or within a seven-block radius of a landmark New York City neighborhood.

You can play with these ideas. Maybe she's driving with the top down on a freeway in LA, maybe she lives just around the corner from your Uncle Ray?

There are lots of possibilities.

LCK

• Members

I don't mean to hog this most excellent stage, but this one jumped all over me and I need to deal with the lyrics. It seems that someone out in British Colombia wants to put a drum track on it and then send it over to a studio in London to run it through some fancy Neve desk. Go figure.

I don't very often have two going at once, but my amazing muse has been, well.....amazing.

Anyway, I did the music to this quickly on the wings of the chorus but when I hit the red button for a vocal track I had nothing written down. Everything in these verses was extemporaneous, which is ok for a scratch track, but.....I like it. Or a lot of it anyway.

Need to make some quick decisions and get this one off to....wander all around the world......
:cool:

Somebody needs to stop me from keeping this like it is, which is something like this.....

Find That Girl

Until I find that girl

Until I find her

Until I find

That girl

Repeat

Maybe she's off in Istanbul....somewhere

I'd like to find ya:facepalm:

Chorus

Instr

She might be on her island still

Hey I'd like to find her there

She'll maybe be lookin' beautiful

And so tan and lovely

She may be down in Virginia

Oh I'd like to find her there

Chorus

That's it. Really. Two lame verses and a hokey chorus. Somewhat....vacuous....at best. And yet I like it.

Guess I'm easy.

See? This is what happens if you don't practice the craft of songwriting. All you young songwriters out there....Get Serious! Listen to blue and Lee Knight. Read all of LCK's lyrics....or find yourselves wandering down the dark and lonely road that leads to, well.......Scaperville.

There's worse neighborhoods. :thu:

You're right, there's not a lot of lyric meat there. It's light and clever in its casually oblique way -- I probably could have stood a couple more little town related chuckles... The music is pretty infectious, as your stuff so often is.

A frothy parasol drink of a song.

• Members

This is really fun. I think you should just read yourself the lyrics out loud until they flow off the tongue, you'll have it by then.

Waiter! There's a parasol in my alcohol

Do I look like a lady to you?

I'm sorry sir, the waiter stalled

But all our drinks are foo

I laughed out loud at this.

• Members

I laughed out loud at this.

Me too.

Yes I have been working on just that.:wave:

When the drum tracks come in (he is tracking even as we speak) I'll do another full vocal track with some changes and, hopefully a slightly better cadence and feel to the lyric.

• Moderators

Me too.

Yes I have been working on just that.
:wave:

When the drum tracks come in (he is tracking even as we speak) I'll do another full vocal track with some changes and, hopefully a slightly better cadence and feel to the lyric.

:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

for some reason in my head I hear at 38 seconds after the little break you keep going with the vocals instead of the guitar solo, like start the Houston part there, having the solo start after the China part then the solo then the wonder part again, I don't know if any good, this isn't my usual genre

I like it though! :)

Archived