As as 'songwriter' I'm listening to music with a different mindset lately...

New Trail

• Members

I won't really call myself a songwriter, but because of the new band I've had somewhat of a creative spark I guess and have written several songs, including 'acceptable' words for the first time. So now I find when I listen to music, and especially when I hear a new song for the first time, I find myself judging it on the basis of the songwriting. In other words, would I have been happy if I had written this song?

Anyone else feel this way?

• Members

Yeah, I know that feeling. When I played in my first band about 5 years ago, and when starting homercording after a long absense from my instrument last year, I recognized that I started analyzing everything I listen to in terms of songwriting. Judging the lyrics, figuring out how they made that break that powerfull, analyzing guitar riffs, etc. And since I'm mixing my own songs currently, I also analyze the loudness of guitars in relation to the lyrics, the use of reverb, vocal doubling and stuff like that. :)

• Members

It's natural for our attentions to refocus in light of our current activities and interests. Get a new chorus pedal for your guitar and you'll likely notice chorused guitars where you never paid attention to them before. Get suddenly serious about your mixing, and you're likely to stop listening to the music and focus on the mix. At least for a while. It's natural.

But it's good to have a sense of proper balance, even if, for a while, you concentrate, even fixate, on a given element.

• Moderators

But it's good to have a
sense
of proper balance, even if, for a while, you concentrate, even fixate, on a given element.

I agree. I love analyzing songs. But I think it's important to leave some alone. To let them retain their mystery to me. They're magic and I want them kept that way. But those aside, I tend to tear things apart and reassemble them, learning how they tick.

I don't like it, why? I love it, why? The more I've listened this way, the closer I come to being able to create what I started out wanting to create.

• Members

I agree. I love analyzing songs. But I think it's important to leave some alone. To let them retain their mystery to me. They're magic and I want them kept that way. But those aside, I tend to tear things apart and reassemble them, learning how they tick.

I don't like it, why? I love it, why? The more I've listened this way, the closer I come to being able to create what I started out wanting to create.

There is something to be said for analyzing, but sometimes I wish I could turn it off.

Figuring out how they got the rabbit out of the hat can be it's own reward. It's great fun to try and figure it out, but then once you got it, at least for me, seeing the trick preformed isn't as enjoyable.

Maybe that's why I'm not the same kind of studio rat that most of yall seem to be

• Members

There is something to be said for analyzing, but sometimes I wish I could turn it off.

I never analyze any more.

My direct influence/analytical days stopped way back around......Jackson Browne and Loggins and Messina.:cool:

These days ;)........I listen and let things come in, but I don't dwell.

• Members

I've never analyzed songs for a few reasons:

1. Can't - I've been a psychotically obsessed music fanatic many years before I ever considered making music myself. Music got me through some dark times and the last thing on my mind at that point was song structure and chord progressions. Even now I'm just not capable of listening any other way.

2. Don't want to - A lot of my favorite music is enjoyed on a purely visceral level. I couldn't see myself listening to stuff like Fela Kuti, Black Milk, Deerhoof, Goblin, or those Thai soul pop compilations while sitting still and saying "Alright, let's see what's going on here". The moment I hear stuff like that I start dancing like an idiot, singing along, or doing whatever the music moves me to do. I'd feel like I'd be missing the big picture by isolating and analyzing one element of a piece of music when it's the combination of layers of subtle nuances that make up great musical moments.

3. Not feasble - A large portion of the music I listen to is in the EAI/free improv/avant-garde/experimental category. Experimental music that is heavy on group improvisation and blurring the line between acoustic and electronic sound is kind of hard to analyze - it's more about group dynamics and the possibilities/ambiguities of sound and their sources.

• Members

I In other words, would I have been happy if I had written this song?

Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, definitely. I've been doing this for quite some time, even before I started writing songs with actual words and main melodies in them.

And although I love a wide variety of music and have a HEAP of songs I'd be proud to have written, there are probably only maybe...10 songs in total that I would have LOVED to have written...meaning, if I'd written them, I could die happy. lol

• Members

Yes, definitely. I've been doing this for quite some time, even before I started writing songs with actual words and main melodies in them.

And although I love a wide variety of music and have a HEAP of songs I'd be proud to have written, there are probably only maybe...10 songs in total that I would have LOVED to have written...meaning, if I'd written them, I could die happy. lol

When listening to songs with songwriting in mind I hear a lot of songs that I would have been very comfortable bringing to the band as one of my originals.

• Members

I know the feeling, but it eventually faded with me. I still find myself analyzing the construction of songs, but these days that is less my concern than simply how honest the song is. I'm more concerned if a song feels fraudulent than if it's technically derivative. Because everything is derivative to some degree, but if you can make your typical Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus song feel fresh and new, that's a great achievement. If you can't, that's ok too. Music is supposed to be pleasing and the brain is designed to be pleased by consonant sounds (and some by dissonant sounds). So sit back, take it in, and appreciate the quality of being alive.

Archived