Rio Grande BBQ?

fabeon

• Members

I find them to be a slightly less annoying JB. The mid-high spike seems slightly less.

The high-mids on the BBQ are much more balanced than the JB. I'm honestly not sure about the high gain sounds (I'm using a POD now & all the high gains on it are a bit muddy IMO). I don't expect it to be muddy; it's a fairly well-balanced pup, with just enough presence to cut through. The output seems barely a bit less than the JB, which doesn't mean {censored} if your amp is high gain anyway.

Next time I'm out at GC, I'll take my axe & see how it handles some nice brutz.

• Members

I like the BBQ for just about anything. I have found that I prefer it in guitars that aren't mahogany, but that's just because I tend to run a bit too much low end. I would say that it handles high pretty well. The tone is thick and defined with just the right amount of attack.

• Members

It's kind of a dark sounding pickup. Similar output-wise to the JB & 498T.

I think the BBQ blows the JB out of the water. It just sounds so thick & pleasing & musical. I find the JB to be harsh. I think the BBQ has more low end.

I use the BBQ in a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

• Members

Chippy, how would you compare it to a 498T if you've heard/played one?

I had a 498T in a LP DC Studio that sounded great clean & w/ slight OD. On higher gain settings through my Legacy & DSL50, it would get kinda jumbled. The notes would all wash into each other. The BBQ remained pretty clear & detailed.

• Members

What I really dont want is any muddiness at high gain... seems like it might end up being that way if I put one in my SG?

Hmm... SG + BBQ + Nitro = midrange city for sure. The Nitro is great at NOT being muddy, though. I've heard it sound great with plenty of other mid-rich pups like the CustomCustom & Aldrich. How's your SG sound now?

• Members

I have a rather crappy GFS in the bridge and it doesn't sound that great at all TBH, but the guitar itself is solid. I a/b'd it with a 498T and the 498T seemed much more clear and 'rich' if that makes any sense. I haven't been able to try it with the Nitro yet though.. I can explain but its a long story (kinda).

Also about the mid-range, I again see many different opinions on this. Some say it has a very relaxed mid range (the bbq).

• Members

As much as I'm a bbq fanboy, I think there are better choices for metal.

Personally I think its just a killer crunchy as {censored} pup that has the dynamics I like and really delivers harmonics.

Great pup and I love the {censored} out of it, but I think of it as a good hard rock pup more than a metal machine.

• Members

Personally I think its just a
killer crunchy as {censored} pup that has the dynamics I like and really delivers harmonics.

Great pup and I love the {censored} out of it, but I think of it as a good hard rock pup more than a metal machine.

Thats basically what I'm looking for though..

What makes you say it wont work as well for metal? Is that based on output or tonal characteristics?

• Members

Personally I think its just a killer crunchy as {censored} pup that has the dynamics I like and really delivers harmonics.

Couldn't agree more. :thu: The BBQ is raw and raunchy. The lows are a bit spongy, which doesn't lend it to metal very well, but it makes it sweet for rock tones.

• Members

Thats basically what I'm looking for though..

What makes you say it wont work as well for metal? Is that based on output or tonal characteristics?

Well I guess its a combination of those two things.

Its pretty somewhat low output by todays standards. (12.5K)

But it sounds great with a boost.

But I think it doesn't really have what I'd call a modern metal vibe. Not vintage sounding either IMO, its hard to put my finger on exactly what I'd consider it.

The problem I'd think you'd run into is the spongy bottom end, a boosts helps control that a bit though.

Archived