Friday Influences 07-15-11

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hey there! Share some stuff you've been listening to that keeps you going. Or something that caught your fancy early on and served as an initial creative ass kicking.

For me this week... Tedeschi Trucks Band.

You know, playing doesn't really equate with songwriting. But... man, sometimes, it sort of does. Like Derrick and the Dominoes, Astral Weeks, Bitches Brew or Live at the Filmore. When uber guitarist/singer Tedeschi married Derek Trucks... well, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for their offspring. Let's hope she doesn't become an accountant or a doctor. Earth needs guitar players. Real ones.

Derek is a rare example of someone standing on the shoulders of the greats before him. Duane was king. No doubt. Was. It's not proficiency, it's soul and pure musicality, supported with some awesome chops. But that slide guitar cries. Holy smoke.

And Susan? She sounds like a cross between Mavis Staples and Bonny Raitt. And if you haven't heard her play... well, she's scary good.

Then check the band. Wow. Wow. Wow. This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to get on a stage again with an awesome drummer and groove all night...

[video=youtube;Q95-qrojlfc]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, great individually, great together, watch out for those kids. ;)

I was actually thinking about those two this week, as members of the 5th generation (Johnson-Waters-Clapton-Vaughan-?) of blues players. A couple of other performers in that category (who I have been listening to this week) are Charlie Sexton and Doyle Bramhall II.

[video=youtube;wyaztvtDBPw]

• Moderators

Lee, I once had the honor of playing with Trucks. It was awesome!

Going to the show next month... My brothers and I are taking my dad for his father's day present.

I can't even imagine. He's so freakin' musical. That must have been an experience.

• Members

I have this enduring gear fantasy that if I only had an SSL desk I could just plug in and everything would come out sounding like this. In my more rational moments I'm willing to admit that Peter Gabriel being a master of tone, texture, and groove is probably the more important factor.

[video=youtube;N1tTN-b5KHg]

[video=youtube;bo9riZYUpTw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo9riZYUpTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo9riZYUpTw

• Members

Tony Levin's a big part of both of those tracks too. I love Gabriel. Or Gabby, as we used to call him.
:)

I dislike Phil Collins solo. I dislike Phil Collins with Genesis. I dislike Peter Gabriel with Genesis. I love Peter Gabriel solo. :idk:

Maybe I just like Tony Levin. :idea:

• Members

I can't even imagine. He's so freakin' musical. That must have been an experience.

It was...I have a crappy recording of it somewhere. He sat in with my band for two songs... and he nearly kept up with us. :)

• Members

I do.

Not sure. I like Robert Fripp with Eno, Bowie and Gabriel, but I didn't like "In the Court of the Crimson King". Will investigate further.

I'm not against musical complexity per se but I'm a melody junkie and prog is generally a turnoff to me.

• Members

I was mentioning this guy in another thread but he was one of my favorites growing up.

[video=youtube;huIcAdTbMbM]

It's funny. I'm not a fan of his acoustic piano style, I don't much care for his tone or style. I was always more of a Herbie Hancock fan for acoustic piano work, but it's Chick Corea that ended up influencing more of me, especially his first two Return to Forever albums, mainly because I think he got some of the most best electric piano tone I've ever heard, and I try to capture that mellow, cool tone when I play, the little chords he plays in the left hands, his little rhythmic flurries, I've copied so much of it without even realizing.

I think this is one of the best songs ever written. There are a handful of jazz classics that are catchy enough for the uninitiated audience and varied enough for seasoned listeners, and Chick Corea's best work is both pop and jazz of the highest caliber. Lot of people hate on jazz fusion, but if you hate on early Return to Forever, you must have no sense of fun.

• Members

This one goes out to the brethren in Vegas...

[video=youtube;RCqxq6xqoXI]

One round buys the next... more Gram.

[video=youtube;RK70vImXkgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK70vImXkgY

Gram was in the Byrds for less than a year, but he made an indelible impression on many Byrds fans. In fact, Gram was one of those too-bright candles... burning bright... but way too fast. He died when he was 26.

• Moderators

It's funny. I'm not a fan of his acoustic piano style, I don't much care for his tone or style. I was always more of a Herbie Hancock fan for acoustic piano work, but it's Chick Corea that ended up influencing more of me, especially his first two Return to Forever albums, mainly because I think he got some of the most best electric piano tone I've ever heard, and I try to capture that mellow, cool tone when I play, the little chords he plays in the left hands, his little rhythmic flurries, I've copied so much of it without even realizing.

I think this is one of the best songs ever written. There are a handful of jazz classics that are catchy enough for the uninitiated audience and varied enough for seasoned listeners, and Chick Corea's best work is both pop and jazz of the highest caliber. Lot of people hate on jazz fusion, but if you hate on early Return to Forever, you must have no sense of fun.

Oh yeah... very cool. I loved RTF. And I loved Chick's earlier and later stuff. Good choice. He makes a Rhodes so articulate...

• Members

I saw RTF a few summers ago. I remember going in thinkig I'd probably get bored after a few songs... I can only take so much virtuoso playing before I start to crave simple melodies. Chick and company proved me wrong... I was riveted the whole time.

• Members

Gave Robert Fripp a shot on the ride home. Gonna have to play the McLaughin card: virtuoso player, key sideman on some albums that I love, not my cup of tea as a bandleader.

I didn't expect you to dig Crimson or Fripp given what you said earlier...although I have no idea what Fripp you listened to (and he covered a lot of territory from Frippertronics to the League Of Gentlemen to the Crafty Guitarists to Darryl Hall singing on Fripp's first solo album Exposure). FWIW early McLaughlin is also a favorite.

Archived