In your opinion what is the hardest style of guitar playing?

jnurp

• Members

Who are the most talented guitarists; Jazz players, metal, rock, neoclassical, classical, country???

I am always floored by jazz players, but for some reason in my head it takes more talent to play blues with feeling than it is to play insane jazz runs. I dotn know why, it doesnt really make much sense at face value that a guy who is bending a few notes would be a more skilled player but i really think that a great blues player is a lot harder to find than a great jazz player. Playing crazy jazz runs is a learned skill, i dont think the blues is a learned skill, its either in you or it isnt, which makes it so rare.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Chicken pickin' country stuff is really hard.

As is the really quick position-changing, 900-chord-variations-in-one-song jazz stuff.

IMO, that's the hardest. Especially because they're very clean and by their nature your mistakes jump out at you.

• Members

IMO, styles like Jazz and speed metal takes a lot of training to even get started, and I have a ton of respect for folks who can play. However, to play any style WELL takes a ton of skill.

Neil Schon, for example, is one of my favs of all time - not because he's the most technical player (though he could shred if he wanted to), but because he knows how to play tastefully.

• Members

Chicken pickin' country stuff is really hard.

As is the really quick position-changing, 900-chord-variations-in-one-song jazz stuff.

IMO, that's the hardest. Especially because they're very clean and by their nature your mistakes jump out at you.

Yeah this for sure... very hard for me...

You have to be clean to excute that kind of playing for the chicken pickin stuff, and then the quick position-changing stuff is too much for my fingers

:facepalm:

• Members

if you really wanna be exceptional at it, and not just a mediocre wanker...all of them

if just being average is your goal, i'd say jazz is probably the most difficult

when i look at truly great players of metal, rock, country, bluegrass, jazz, funk, blues, etc. tho i honestly think the talent and skill levels are pretty equal

• Members

Who are the most talented guitarists; Jazz players, metal, rock, neoclassical, classical, country???

I am always floored by jazz players, but for some reason in my head it takes more talent to play blues with feeling than it is to play insane jazz runs. I dotn know why, it doesnt really make much sense at face value that a guy who is bending a few notes would be a more skilled player but i really think that a great blues player is a lot harder to find than a great jazz player. Playing crazy jazz runs is a learned skill, i dont think the blues is a learned skill, its either in you or it isnt, which makes it so rare.

I don't know why there aren't more really good blues players. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Joe B are some of the only blues players who actually play fast. There are thousands of guitar players that can play faster than them, but choose to play different styles.

• Members

Playing with feeling really isn't that hard to do. That's my cover for my lack of shred skills. Feeling is mostly dynamic and guitar tone.

Great jazz, technical death metal, those, I think are the toughest. To create good jazz or death metal, you really need to have a very creative mind and be smart musically. When I listen to some really awesome technical stuff I try to listen to the lines and rhythms they create. Same with Jazz. They usually hit patterns and arpeggios that I would never think of. Knowing when to change a mode, and when using that particular mode over a specific progression is going to sound appropriate, that's pretty tough, IMO.

Archived