December 2011 SHOWCASE Thread :: Finished work, videos, career news, BSP, gossip...

blue2blue

• Members

This one's from a while back -- 1991 -- when I was playing out with a couple of guys. It's from a rehearsal, not an actual gig. I mention this because the recording starts with me rehearsing a joke I planned to make at the gig that night. "Anybody in the audience come from a functional family?"

The laugh comes from my bass player. That night, it got a slightly bigger laugh.

I'm posting this b/c Rhino complained in another thread that I only write sad love songs in the style of the Great American Songbook. Well, here's an angry folk-rock song...

Just off the Interstate

there

• Moderators

Suweet! I do the same thing A Capella, spoken word, country, pop, etc etc. Thanks!

I saw Jon Brion's show at LA's Largo club. He did something very similar with looping. Of course he had a full compliment of vintage instruments, etc. I was mesmerized by his show. Check it out on youtube if you can. So tell me...

...how do you do that? I don't know a thing about live looping. What looper are you using? Is there a click? How do you set the in and out points? How do the subsequent tracks loop at the same point?

I'm not asking much am I? :)

• Members

There are all kinds of dedicated looping tools these days with all sorts of convenience features. I don't want to come off like an old guy -- but, wait, I am an old guy -- but when I started around 1990, all I had was a 7.6 second digital delay (Digitech Time Machine) and its only convenience feature -- its only feature, actually -- was a loop lock switch where you could 'freeze' the echo to keep it from adding new parts or deteriorating/decaying from continual round trips. Actually, I guess you could say the continuously variable period control was a feature, since, unlike many later echo devices you could twist it and go from super long loop to super short -- for that classic Echoplex lever-swipe dub effect.

Before that, my experience with live loopers was seeing a violinist on a street corner in Berkley ~1989 using a live echo loop; in '86 I hung out with a French Canadian busker in Amsterdam while he was working on a home-made echo loop that he wanted to use with his flute -- I never heard him get more than a few seconds out of it, though. And then, before that, my introduction was, of course, the truly seminal No Pussyfooting album by Robert Fripp with Eno and the echo controls. A few years later, in 1980, I saw Fripp do a performance/lecture at the old Tower Records on Sunset in LA.

• Members

This one's from a while back -- 1991 -- when I was playing out with a couple of guys. It's from a rehearsal, not an actual gig. I mention this because the recording starts with me rehearsing a joke I planned to make at the gig that night. "Anybody in the audience come from a functional family?"

The laugh comes from my bass player. That night, it got a slightly bigger laugh.

I'm posting this b/c Rhino complained in another thread that I only write sad love songs in the style of the Great American Songbook. Well, here's an angry folk-rock song...

It was 20 years ago today..........

Interesting to hear you sing another genre of song.

Listening to all your recent works with dim7 and b5ths etc, I sometimes hear you hesitate or falter a little in you vocal delivery with some of what I consider to be difficult vocal melody lines to match with the chord structures.

With this folk-rock piece with its straight-forward chords, you sing the melody with confidence and certainty, and I wonder if perhaps you are writing far more musically challenging works today.

• Members

I saw Jon Brion's show at LA's Largo club. He did something very similar with looping. Of course he had a full compliment of vintage instruments, etc. I was mesmerized by his show. Check it out on youtube if you can. So tell me...

...how do you do that? I don't know a thing about live looping. What looper are you using? Is there a click? How do you set the in and out points? How do the subsequent tracks loop at the same point?

I'm not asking much am I?
:)

NO way! I love to talk about looping. It's my thing! :) It really is simple. It really is involved too. I make about 60-70 decisions per full instrumentation song. I'm usually multitasking. There is a click available. I don't use it. I graduated a few years ago from using a click. When I graduated from that I would play drums first. That is the easiest way to keep it tight. Then I graduated to doing the drums second, third or even fourth. In my mind a click or other automated beat is what sets apart the legit looping artists. That and making natural feeling songs. One of my favorite compliments I ever got was after a 3 hour show at the Taubman museum of art here in Roanoke Virgina. An employee had been around the side of the building from the patio where I was playing. I was breaking down my set and he said "y'all sounded good tonight!" He tripped when I said it was just me, :) and then became very complimentary.

It's this simple. Remember the one. Take this Andy Griffith theme song video for instance. It's A Capella.

The first note I sing is not the beginning of the loop. It could be I guess but feeling natural is what makes it work easily for me. The fourth note I sing is the one. I hit the loop record button there. You can hear it click. When the loop comes around I sing those 3 beginning notes again and hit the same loop button a second time. I actually double click it to loop and overdub. It starts the loop seamlessly (if done right.) Hit the button again and you are overdubbing as long as you like. Hit it again and it stops overdubbing. Hit it again and it overdubs and so on. The right button stops the loop. I use mainly the digitech jam man. I also have an older boss loop station. It is the same set up. A sturdy 2 switch pedal. Here is a pic of one.

DigitechJamMan3090x2542.jpg

Oh and my vintage gear is limited to my beloved Wurlitzer 200, Peavey T-40 bass, and Peavey T-60 guitar. They are all about '79 models. 8)

• Members

It was 20 years ago today..........

Interesting to hear you sing another genre of song.

Listening to all your recent works with dim7 and b5ths etc, I sometimes hear you hesitate or falter a little in you vocal delivery with some of what I consider to be difficult vocal melody lines to match with the chord structures.

With this folk-rock piece with its straight-forward chords, you sing the melody with confidence and certainty, and I wonder if perhaps you are writing far more musically challenging works today.

You may be right. Or it just may be that my vocal chops have deteriorated in recent years. Some of the bad habits I used to be able to get away with? Not so much anymore.

LCK

• Members

Here's one of the spin-offs from my live loop act, Frippenstein (later Tranz Azul)...

http://rothmeyer-frippenstein.bandcamp.com/album/2693

This was a sort of looper 'super-group.' Michael Rothmeyer had been doing a guitar-oriented live echo loop act and I'd been doing keyboard-synth oriented echo looping, but neither of us was familiar with the other until the proprietor of a coffee house I'd been playing at introduced us. We decided to see if we could work together and after a really long setup we rolled a few minutes of music, decided it sounded good, turned on the tape machine and cut three lengthy improvs, which ended up as the album above. We went on to do a number of collaborative shows. I also put together a band with three other non-looping pals (violin, guitar/clarinet, percussion) called Drift.

• Members

It really is a different world from delays to loops. Tape delays were available in the 70's. I can't imagine life without digital looping. Yes playing with other people is rewarding. But an army of musicians standing around me saying "how did you want me to play that?" is unimaginably gratifying.

• Members

All my looping efforts were strictly improv -- since I never had any idea what I was going to be doing. So my pals had to be able to figure out what to do on their own, as it went down. I'd actually played with all the people in Drift for years in different circumstances so they already knew I had almost no ability to do the same thing twice... After all, that's what echo boxes are for, right? ;)

PS... I was studying the pic of your JamMan with interest since I own a pair of original JamMans that I replaced my Digitech TimeMachine with. Interestingly, at the time, they were nameplated by Lexicon. Not sure how JamMan ended up over at Digitech. The original JamMans had 8 seconds each (you could put in more RAM but it was expensive at the time) and could sync to MIDI and lock it but not much else. Here's an ad for them: http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/jamman/jamman_ad.html

JamManad.JPG

• Members

Hey, flummox... sorry I didn't see this earlier.

If you've got a work-in-progress that you'd like feedback on, please feel free to start a thread (that way all the feedback/constructive crit is collected in one place) -- or, of course, to post just about anything in these monthly Showcase Threads.

"Bright Burning Street" has a very cool feel, I like the intimacy, I liked the classic folkie/raconteur feel. The arrangement really underlines the change of tone around minute four. The solo has a nice elegance but, to be frank, I'm tempted to look at my watch sometime before the end of the roughly six and a half minute song. Now, maybe with the lyrics -- which sounded pretty cool, to be sure -- in front of me, the story and flow of the song clear in mind, I would see that the song
needs
to be as long as it is... but I can't help but feel, in general, that every bar past the 3 and a half minute mark in pop music must be unambiguously justified.
:D

Thanks for your feedback! The structure of the song and the lyrics pretty much dictated the length; but yeah, it needs to somehow be about 4 minutes 30. I can unambiguously justify that by being an old geezer who takes awhile to get going and then just sort of wanders off distractedly. :) I built a few things into the arrangement to draw the listener in - and I do like way the song develops and builds momentum. When there's time I'll bring it up in Pro Tools and see what I can chop out; that might be a good time to start a thread.

The lyrics:

I got drunk with a famous folk singer

Whose name I had better not say

It was back in the 80s in a club in atlanta

as we sat there waiting to play

Now two Southern men and a bottle

can talk shit from now until May

With some stripper named Lexus

that's spelled with two x's

who mostly just got in the way

She disappeared in the laughter

to search for more suitable mates