December 2011 SHOWCASE Thread :: Finished work, videos, career news, BSP, gossip...

blue2blue

• Members

No news too trivial, no bragging right too small. Whether your latest triumph was a multi-album deal or a good night at your local open mic -- there's room to talk about it here...
:)

Here's this month's
Official Showcase Thread
where you can post your
completed projects
, links to
finished works
(even
old
ones) you want your pals here in the SW forum to hear,
promo videos
, covers of other people's songs, or just generally
shameless self-hype
that you're
far too professional
and courteous to post in the main forum.

POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

:)

previous showcase threads

November 2011

October 2011

September 2011

August 2011

July 2011

June 2011

May 2011

April 2011

March 2011

February 2011

January 2011

December 2010

November 2010

October 2010

September 2010

August 2010

July 2010

June 2010

May 2010

April 2010

March 2010

February 2010

January 2010

December 2009

November 2009

October 2009

September 2009

August 2009

July 2009 [no posts]

June 2009

May 2009

April 2009

March 2009

February 2009

January 2009

December 2008

November 2008

October 2008

More on the Songwriting Forum Monthly Showcase

• Members

my finished songs that id like to showcase are at the below link. the 1st song is ALIVE. i also wrote NEED TO KNOW, BEDLAM, WORDS AND PICTURES, OUT OF TOWN, ALTER EGO, TIMEPIECE, NO PASSENGERS. you will find them on the related videos section.

hope you enjoy, feedback would be appreciated. thank-you. darrel.

p.s. add me on twitter @darrelmcgibbon

• Members

Well, no record deals, no money made on music, no fan clubs shouting my name. But I had a lot of fun in the last month.

I wrote a song *purposely" to have a 60's feel, maybe with a touch of 70's. Normally a lot of my songs sound like that anyways, but never purposely. This one was. And it is a happy song for me. And a true one.

When True Love Finds You

©2011 Rick Dieffenbach

LYRICS:

V1: Let me tell you about a story of a girl I knew back then

Found her standing at the locker with her books held in her hand

Smiling in her green plaid dress

Looking much cuter than the rest

There was nothing I could do

When true love finds you you have no choice but to follow it through

=====================================

V2: Jump ahead years w

• Members

Darreldo... if you are referring to my song, the answer is, not consciously. The inspiration was the 3 phrases of my life, which are quite literally translated in this song. But if you are hearing "do you want to know a secret" in this song, I am honored as that was a *fab* song. :-)

• Members

We'll see how it goes.You can vote pour moi here if you like: http://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/younow-singer-songwriter-competition

There's three songs. The first is my new folk rock song Tonight. A song called Firefly Temple, inspired by my uncle-in-laws book of poetry called Sunset at the Temple of Olives. And a song you all helped me with a bit called We Found The Place

I know this isn't technically a songwriting post, however, we're here to support each other as a songwriting community to whatever extent possible... right?:p

• Members

Here's my Soundclick page with seven new songs. There's a lot there for songwriters to be interested in, but there's one called Bright Burning Street I could really use some feedback on. My idea was to use a string of mismatching folk/country cliches in order to tell a story. I like it but the melody is starting to sound a bit too familiar to me...like I've heard it somewhere else but can't place it.

Imperial Highway is about Southern California, middle age, wildfires and the enormous distance between things that happen outside one's Mercedes and inside.

There's also Wide Forgotten Sea, which is my attempt at a children's song about death.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

STICK:

The da-da that is mechanically produced starting at 50 seconds is really really innovative. In days gone by that would have been two female voices. But this gives us the same feeling yet kept it updated. Nice. I'm tucking that idea away. :-)

Really like this tune. The highlight for me is the flow of the music, the melody and how you orchestrated this.

• Members

This isn't quite finished, but it's nice to post something
approaching
a finished recording on here once in a while, as opposed to the raggedy-assed pre-demos that I usually post here!

Very melodic, with some softened pink-floydian/roger Walters influences going on. Like much!

• Members

Still needs some polish. I worked hard on it and then got a little burned out/dismissive, but on a refreshed listen I think "there's something there".

A Stickboy song:

Figure It Out

I'm really hearing those echos of Bryan Ferry on this. I think thinning out the bottom end on your vocals has helped them fit in a lot better and given them more definition and a nice, lighter-than-mix float. Guitar solo feels a bit unfocused... there's that nice, tightly coherent opening bit, and then that sort of trails out and a more exploratory, longer solo opens up. I'm thinking you'll want to edit down to just the tight, coherent part for the hit single. ;)

• Members

I'm so hooked on mine. This is called "less than vapor" There are 6 cigar box guitar tracks, a bass track, a wurlitzer 200 piano track, and a drum track. All live, all on the fly.

[video=youtube;-F1h6_2r0xA]

The CBG was built by Jon Pruett. He runs sleepinggiantguitars.com. The pickup was made in Austria by Klangbox.

• Members

I'm so hooked on mine. This is called "less than vapor" There are 6 cigar box guitar tracks, a bass track, a wurlitzer 200 piano track, and a drum track. All live, all on the fly.

The CBG was built by Jon Pruett. He runs sleepinggiantguitars.com. The pickup was made in Austria by Klangbox.

Man, that is so cool!

I love that surf sound you've got going.

• Members

Here's my
Soundclick page with seven new songs
. There's a lot there for songwriters to be interested in, but there's one called
Bright Burning Street
I could really use some feedback on. My idea was to use a string of mismatching folk/country cliches in order to tell a story. I like it but the melody is starting to sound a bit too familiar to me...like I've heard it somewhere else but can't place it.

Imperial Highway is about Southern California, middle age, wildfires and the enormous distance between things that happen outside one's Mercedes and inside.

There's also
Wide Forgotten Sea
, which is my attempt at a children's song about death.

Hey, flummox... sorry I didn't see this earlier.

If you've got a work-in-progress that you'd like feedback on, please feel free to start a thread (that way all the feedback/constructive crit is collected in one place) -- or, of course, to post just about anything in these monthly Showcase Threads.

"Bright Burning Street" has a very cool feel, I like the intimacy, I liked the classic folkie/raconteur feel. The arrangement really underlines the change of tone around minute four. The solo has a nice elegance but, to be frank, I'm tempted to look at my watch sometime before the end of the roughly six and a half minute song. Now, maybe with the lyrics -- which sounded pretty cool, to be sure -- in front of me, the story and flow of the song clear in mind, I would see that the song needs to be as long as it is... but I can't help but feel, in general, that every bar past the 3 and a half minute mark in pop music must be unambiguously justified. :D

Archived