OT: Phones; Iphone and Android

Chrisjd

• Members

When is 4g comming out? should i hold out for that?

LOL. no.

Japan had 3G has early as around 2002. AT&T started their 3G deployment mid 2006. T-Mobile just started their's around late 2007/mid 2008.

Verizon and Sprint have announced their 4G networks, but any concrete plans, let alone phones remain to be seen.

In short, I wouldn't. Another benefit of our poorly regulated wireless market and FCC shortcomings. :thu:

• Members

I've had my HTC hero (android OS, Sprint) for a couple weeks now and it's great. Enough free apps for sure. I only wish I could edit MS documents (for free) and I'd like to find a way to hook up a video out for giving presentations with the phone (the Touch Pro can do this).

Do you notice any lag with the phone so far??

• Members

The camera is fine, what it does need is a flash.

it needs flash and zoom...it's almost like a last minute addition...it certainly wasn't anything Apple put a lot of thought or development into. there is also the annoying lag between pressing 'shoot' and the image being shot for action shots. shots taken in low light or the evening look blurry and grainy.

• Members

it needs flash and zoom...it's almost like a last minute addition...it certainly wasn't anything Apple put a lot of thought or development into. there is also the annoying lag between pressing 'shoot' and the image being shot for action shots. shots taken in low light or the evening look blurry and grainy.

most phones are this way though, atleast the ones i have owned, I downloaded a flash program that works pretty good.

• Members
LOL. no.

Japan had 3G has early as around 2002. AT&T started their 3G deployment mid 2006. T-Mobile just started their's around late 2007/mid 2008.

Verizon and Sprint have announced their 4G networks, but any concrete plans, let alone phones remain to be seen.

In short, I wouldn't. Another benefit of our poorly regulated wireless market and FCC shortcomings.
:thu:

Sprint has been rolling out 4G for about a year now. They are already selling air cards for the service. Phones are expected by the end of Q1 2010. Currently the following cities are lit:

No one else has even begun to build out a 4G network. I've tested Sprint's 4G in Baltimore and Philly and it is very impressive.

• Members

Do you notice any lag with the phone so far??

I don't like the lag when switching from portrait to landscape but I usually just use the phone in portrait mode anyway. Lag on opening apps is like any old computer... not bad really. Also, battery life improved a lot within a couple charges.

• Members

Picture quality is quite a bit better on the 3GS, with youch to focus a great improvement...also lag is unnoticeable on the 3GS...it sure could use a flash though. :D

• Members

Android is the way to go. More options, open source means no restricted developement, fully customizable, and now that higher end phones are comming out (droid, eris, and especially phones like SE X10 ect) means they are finally getting serious.

Iphone is great for what it does, and opened the door, but is too limited by nature (apple). Android is now coming full circle to overtake apple as the leading consumer media+everything phone. All it needed was worthwhile phones to be released (sony erricsson x10 and beyond are where this really kicks into high gear), and a worked out upgraded version of android (1.6 & 2.0). The things you can do with android are only limited by what people want to try and code, and what any number of manufacturers want to create, not what the birthing company decides you can have. iphone has had pretty much stagnate evolution since its original release. The "upgrades" in the later versions are laughable at best.

my 2 cents

• Members

Undecided at this point between the Hero and the Droid (motorola's android phone).

The droid is a much better phone (better browser, *corrected*both are multitouch capable (api's and hardware support it, just need the makers of the software use them....browser will support in few months), crystal clear call quality, faster processor, ver 2.0 of android. Maybe you have a preference on looks ect, but for functionality the droid wins.

Personally, if you don't just want the droid, wait till sony releases the X10, or wait for some of the ones to be released Q1-Q2 of 2010 which are all going to be pretty sick.

• Members

I just played with a Droid this morning. I was very impressed except for the camera which didn't seem to be able to focus. Hopefully this will be fixed with a software update. Some how I managed to keep my wallet in my pocket.

I can't decide between doing the TMobile Blackberry thing, so I can do UMA calls, or go with Droid, so I can play with Android. It seems really cool. I own an iPod touch (which I make Wifi calls on) and the interface sure is great. But open is better.

• Members

Good luck installing 90.000 apps on an iPhone.

All important apps are also there for Android, or at least something similar. Don't forget that a lot of the phone brands are shifting to Android and are bringing out Android phones. It's becoming the standard. It's open-source, unlike the lonely iPhone. I expect there will be at least the same amount of apps for Android as there are for iPhone. It won't take too long. The iPhone has a lot of catching up to do.

okay, that's the same thing people thought about mp3 players several years ago when apple got in the game. Now 99% of the population refer to mp3 players as an "ipod"...

• Members

The droid is a much better phone (better browser, *corrected*both are multitouch capable (api's and hardware support it, just need the makers of the software use them....browser will support in few months), crystal clear call quality, faster processor, ver 2.0 of android. Maybe you have a preference on looks ect, but for functionality the droid wins.

Personally, if you don't just want the droid, wait till sony releases the X10, or wait for some of the ones to be released Q1-Q2 of 2010 which are all going to be pretty sick.

Yeah, the Droid has better specs for sure. I'm just wondering if I'll ever be able to get it in Canada, same with the Hero for that matter...

Archived