WOT: Putting a cat down.

NixerX

• Members

I agree with the water spray bottle. Dont let the cat own you. When it steps out of line.. give it a spray to let it know it was being an ass.

~Matt

Our cats react to the sound of the sprayer being PICKED UP (the water sloshing in the bottle) - no {censored}, they scatter or at the least stop what they are doing.

My cat got on our piano the other day, he knows damn well not to be on the piano, but he does it to get attention...even if it is me just turning from my computer to tell him to get down...

Yesterday, instead of turning around, I grabbed that bottle, turned and pointed it at him - he was blinking his eyes in anticipation of getting squirted instead of getting down - so I nailed him with it, right in the face. He got down and ran out the room to the living room where the scratching post is, and was scratching it (see what a good boy I am?) I petted him, picked him up, and brought him back into the room, and continued petting him, then set him on the piano chair - and petted him. He was happy. He also did not get on the piano again...and hasn't since.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, don't declaw cats, ever.

The scruff technique is very effective and certainly not as cruel as a spray bottle.

Remember, if you're correcting behaviour, it only needs it once! Don't take revenge or you won't get the results.

Yep, be quick to lay down the law, but not overly harsh (spray bottle is fine, even if you miss they get the point), but also quick to reassure them that you're not being aggressive towards them, just corrective, and be sure to follow them, and reassure them they are a good kitty (pet them), etc.

It parallels being an asshole to them for being an asshole and then appolgizing for it, even though they were wrong.

Our cats understand it just fine. Even the spazz-cat, she gets it...

• Members

I'm with the alone time, scruffing and the water bottle. If she swipes at you, (my kitten clawed my mouth while I was asleep once,) get up, grab her by her scruff and shake the {censored} out of that cat! Scare the {censored}ing kitty cat bejesus out of the rank lil fur{censored}er.

I know, some of the PC butt lovers will say "Oh nooes, thats ignorant, you're just being ignoraaaant" but when that cat realises you can kill her with ease, but you don't, and you will kick her ass for being a prick she'll chill out.

When you're done giving the kitty a good shake and yelling at her, throw her, (literally,) into a room with her food and litter box and close the door. When she meows to get out, spray the little {censored}er. Keep doing this till she is wet, miserable and lonely. Leave her in there for 24 hours at least.

Then you come in, start re-acclimatising the kitty. When she steps out of line, a soaking and a scruff shake does the trick. Before long she'll be sweet as pie and know the pecking order. Be especially loud and aggressive if she's swiping at the missus or the kids.

Take no {censored}. It's a pet, and it WILL love you. It doesn't have to like your guests, but it will know it has a room to go hide in if there's strangers about.

-Curtis

• Members

I have asthma.

I am allergic to cats. My wife LOVES cats.

My wife and I bathe our (rescued) cats approx once a month. Now,. my asthma symptoms are pretty much gone.

Cats will use rear claws to "defend" themselves against you killing them...I mean giving them a bath.

It's either declaw the cat (to bathe them) or decat the house. The woman is better with declawed cats than a decatted house.

And there are tons of people out there that bitch at the very suggestion.

If someone was going to kill you unless they could sedate you and remove your first joints of your fingers...

You'd take death, right? :facepalm:

Here are those kitteh's that would rather be dead...
Jump.jpg

• Members
I have asthma.

My wife and I bathe our (rescued) cats approx once a month. Now,. my asthma symptoms are pretty much gone.

Cats will use rear claws to "defend" themselves against you killing them...I mean giving them a bath.

It's either declaw the cat (to bathe them) or decat the house. The woman is better with declawed cats than a decatted house.

If someone was going to kill you unless they could sedate you and remove your first joints of your fingers...

You'd take death, right?
:facepalm:

All our cats have 4 wheel drive, and they get baths about every 6 months.

They don't like it, but, there again, you have to show them that there is no choice but to take it and get it over with that much quicker. Sure, we get scratched up a little, but, it's not OMG I'M GOING TO DIE levels of scratch/pain/blood.

It also helps to not dunk their head, they don't care for that too much. They go into survival-mode and just try to GTFO.

• Members

I was at my aunt's the other day for dinner and she was regaling us with stories of a cat she had that was evil... I attacked people on the regular (not just scratching but biting too), family and strangers alike, and eventually she had to put it down. Anyways as her story comes to an end the salad bowl literally explodes. Not like it cracked and broke in half (which would have been weird anyway) but {censored}in EXPLODES... glass everywhere (all in the food too, which kind of ruined dinner).

Anyways we were a little freaked out, and pretty sure the ghost of the evil cat was expressing some angst over his untimely death. So just be aware of that possibility.

• Members

I was thinking about posting a similar thread. I'm in a situation where I need to let my cat go, but dont know how.

He's always pissing and throwing up around my place. I travel a good amount and ill be gone for a few days at a time and cant always be there to clean up after him.

My carpet is stained all to hell, and some of my furniture is scratched up badly, and i plan to refloor my place and get some new furniture, and when I do, i want to have my home pet free. My girlfriend and some friends are allergic and can barely be in my place for an hour unless they take drowsy allergy medicine.

I dont know anyone who can take him. And hes about 14 years old. Doubtful someone will adopt him at a shelter, and I dont want him to be put to sleep if I give him to a shelter.

I almost just want to let him go in a neighborhood far away and hope someone takes him in, but i've been told that would probably be worse.

Dunno what to do.

• Members

Get a spray bottle and douse that mother{censored}er everytime it steps out of line.

yup. our inlaws have a welch terrier that is an absolute lawless bastard of a dog that can't obey a command to save his life. we had to dog sit him for a week and it was hell. i used the squirt bottle on his face every time he got out of line.

• Members
I was thinking about posting a similar thread. I'm in a situation where I need to let my cat go, but dont know how.

He's always pissing and throwing up around my place. I travel a good amount and ill be gone for a few days at a time and cant always be there to clean up after him.

My carpet is stained all to hell, and some of my furniture is scratched up badly, and i plan to refloor my place and get some new furniture, and when I do, i want to have my home pet free. My girlfriend and some friends are allergic and can barely be in my place for an hour unless they take drowsy allergy medicine.

I dont know anyone who can take him. And hes about 14 years old. Doubtful someone will adopt him at a shelter, and I dont want him to be put to sleep if I give him to a shelter.

I almost just want to let him go in a neighborhood far away and hope someone takes him in, but i've been told that would probably be worse.

Dunno what to do.

14 yrs. old, and you think he'd be better off if you "let him go"? :facepalm: Put him out of his misery!

• Members

Don't put the cat down. Obviously something caused the cat to act this way in the first place.

You took the responsibility of owning it, please don't just toss it aside.

Personally, there are people I would rather see put down first.

Please..

WHAT HE SAID!!!

xgx

• Members
I have asthma.

You'd take death, right?
:facepalm:

Jump.jpg

I have 3 cats and have had cats my whole life. I cant even fathom the amount of times I have had to give cats a bath. I would never declaw a cat. My mom is a vet tech, and she sees first hand what they do to those poor cats....then for days after, they scream in pain and misery. Its {censored}ing horrible. And if the cat gets outside, it has no way to defend itself. People say Oh they still have their back claws....but that doesnt allow them to defend themselves. And if you are taking out all of their claws, thats even worse. Its just a {censored}ed up thing to do, IMO.

To OP, scruffing works too, I have a cat that used to jump up on the top of our snakes cage, and I broke him of that by scruffing him, yelling no, and placing him on the floor. He hasnt been on top of the cage in over a year, however, hes a vindictive asshole, and the last time I did that to him, he {censored} in the bathtub and rolled in it, then ran through the house and deposited small amounts of {censored} every few feet. It was a nightmare to clean. :lol:

Archived