Vox AC4TV vs. Blackstar HT-5

LR Weizel

• Members

Really stuck between these two amps at the moment. I like them for different reasons.

I really like the clips of the AC4TV on the Vox site, it sounds really quirky and unique and it sounds like I can get a lot of Bauhaus, Joy Division kind of tones from it. The dirt with humbuckers sounds great too. I like how it gets kinda fuzzy when cranked.

The HT-5, I'm not as gone on the main tone, but it has more versatility, and a speaker out which is very useful. It's also a bit more expensive and less portable, though.

Given neither are going to be really gigging amps, but both are "just about" okay with a quiet drummer, I guess that's not a huge factor. However the HT-5 probably has more headroom since it's master volume and all that. I intend to use pedals with them.

Ideally the AC4 would be great if it had a bit more headroom and took my dirt boxes well. I know it's not meant for high gain, but I was wondering how well it would take a high gain pedal - not boosting it into high gain, but using most of the gain from the pedal itself(Dirty Bomb). I'll also be using some Fuzz with it.

I'm also a little concerned the AC4 might be a bit too "bluesy" for me. I'm more a fan of modern music - but I do find myself prefering a lot of vintage tone, if that makes any sense. Nonetheless if I end up playing blues licks all the time that'll get on my nerves a bit. Also, a lot of the clips I've heard are a bit "harsh", now that appeals to me to an extent but if it's too trebley that could be a bother, or if it sounds weak. I heard an AC4TV/AC30 comparison where it sounded like a weak small SS amp almost. On the Vox website, it sounds like a gnarlier AC15. Not sure what to think. Doesn't help most clips mic it from half the room away.

Both are great amps and suitable for my needs in different ways. I'll be using them for practice, recording, low volume jam and probably micing it up for small gigs(My Lunchbox works good as a gigging amp if there's no PA, heck I could probably use it AS the PA). Ideally I could get a higher wattage amp, but none really appeal to me, maybe the Tiny Terror but to be honest it does seem a little pricey now for what it does. AC4 has a similar kind of tone and probably sounds better at low volume(don't mind the rolled off highs at 1/4 watt). The other worry with the AC4 is that that 1/4W might still not be quiet enough for apartment jamming. The HT-5 could get dirty at low volumes, but it's not attenuated, when I tried it at the shop it sounded a bit naff at those volumes.

Any opinions? Which is louder, which is bigger/heavier(weight) thing like that are helpful. I might not get a chance to try one out in person before I buy, and even then most of the practicality questions will go unanswered, very few music shops allow you to crank stuff here or take it for a spin.

• Members

I know, but let's presume you have to pick between an apple and an orange... I'd like both but having two amps that aren't all that giggable is a bit much really.

Well, I'll be using both of them for a lot of the same stuff. Which takes Fuzz better? The HT-5 probably takes high gain dirt a bit better, but how does it work with the AC4? Maybe it sounds more interesting.

I'm probably leaning more towards the AC4TV but the HT-5 seems like better value, so I'm looking for reasons to either get it or drop it for now.

• Members

I do really like the dirty tone on the ht-5, but like I said, I am really into the ac4 right now since it does something a lot different. I have a 6505 combo and it covers my metal stuff. I want a small clean amp that I can run a dirt pedal in front of....ac4 fits that.

ac4 would be my choice right now, but that could change in a week or two...

• Members

If the AC4 is a better Pedal amp, I might get that. I'd just be afraid at max volume, it would destroy the tone of the pedal.

I haven't really owned a non master volume tube amp before or even played one in a long time, does it get louder after it starts to break up? Like can I get a quieter sound by dialing in a lower gain sound, or does it become a gain control after half way, with only more minor volume increase?

• Members

I have both. The Vox is far more chimey than thick/bluesy, although you can certainly roll back and do that. And I wouldn't say one is more vintage than the other. Just at different spots in the tone spectrum. The crunchy Marshall tone has been around since the 70s and is still popular. The chimey Vox tone has been around at least as long but is also very popular in current music.

• Members

I like the Chimey Vox tone, I like the sounds of the Chameleons which I think were Vox, and I think it could probably handle some Daniel Ash stuff, the AC4 is a little rough round the edges for a tube amp.

Importantly though; if I ran a high gain dirt box through the AC4, would it come out sounding decent?

• Members

Those clips sounded great. I have been wanting one of these for awhile as well. I could see myself using it more the for the clean sound and putting some fuzz through it for dirt.

I have the HT-5 and absolutely love it - but like you said, its apples and oranges. If I could only have one it would be the Blackstar, simply because it better fits the style of music I play which tends to be heavier rock stuff. It can still get some good low/mid gain sounds, but the Vox sounds like it may be better in that department.

Archived