your favorite 20-ish watt tube head?

mike-o

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Least Favorites:

Egnater Rebel- Flubby, farty mess with a completely ineffective complement of controls

Yes, depending on how you use it.

My buddy lent me his for an entire weekend, and I ran it every way I could, with all the guitars and cabs in my and his arsenal, and I couldn't get a good sound out of it to save my life. I boosted it, played single coils and humbuckers, tweaked it to no end. The Tiny Terror I had at the time absolutely slayed it, and my buddy's AD30 completely and utterly killed it.

I didn't even turn on my Einstein to compare with it, because that would just not have been fair.

That's really the only amp I have ever extensively played that I couldn't find anything good to recommend about it. I plain old hated that amp.

• Members

My buddy lent me his for an entire weekend, and I ran it every way I could, with all the guitars and cabs in my and his arsenal, and I couldn't get a good sound out of it to save my life. I boosted it, played single coils and humbuckers, tweaked it to no end. The Tiny Terror I had at the time absolutely slayed it, and my buddy's AD30 completely and utterly killed it.

I didn't even turn on my Einstein to compare with it, because that would just not have been fair.

That's really the only amp I have ever extensively played that I couldn't find anything good to recommend about it. I plain old hated that amp.

I dunno, I am playing mine and it sounds great.

• Members

where have I seen that head before? Certainly towards the top of my list!

:cool:

For what I do & the music/tones/textures I dig, I actually ended up liking the Studiotone much, much better than the Budda SD II 18 watter ~ and I didn't dislike the Budda. It was just too "clean" & smooth for me, even on the od channel. Not that it didn't have enough gain... just not enough edge/aggression/:idk:

The Studiotone's closer to what I think of when I think "rock guitar," though it excells at blues as well. It's weird/frustrating, because I've heard plenty of clips 'round here of folks getting to-die-for rawk tones out of those Buddas, but I couldn't do it.... :confused:

Archived