Friday Influences Thread 02-10-12

Lee Knight

• Moderators

So... do yo thang.

------

This morning at 4:45, I lined up at the 7-11 checkout with my 2 oranges for a buck and my 2 bananas for buck. They're open early, it's fruit, I'm in. I'm standing behind a 60 year old hippie. Cargo shorts, some sort of interesting high tech sandal things on his peds, long, long stringy hair in a pony tail and totally bald up top. Wearing a Whole Foods Market polo shirt and a belt with box cutters etc.

The early shift for across the street. If they were any earlier I'd be buying my fruit over there, right? So, what do you think Mr. Earth was buying? A six pack of Oreos, a "fresh" chocolate donut and some hostess chocolate cupcakes.

Nothing like a little Yang with your Yin! Tofu sucks anyway.

Inspired greatly by Stick's contribution last week of Gotye's pop tune, I did some digging only to find he's the drummer in a jangle pop indie retro fun trio that while quite original, ties to the Finn Bros/Crowded House/Split Enz influence is apparent. That can't be a bad thing...

...and it isn't!

The Basics. I'm liking it.

[video=youtube;qrELLSWpC_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrELLSWpC_g&feature=relmfu

And an earlier Gotye track...

[video=youtube;Jwekc5qgVeA]

DONCORNELIUS.jpg

P. S. I kept meaning to mention the passing of Don Cornelius, host and producer of TV's pioneer dance show Soul Train. I was pretty pale to be a brother but I caught on at an early age. Cornelius shot himself dead at 75 last week.

While other kids were warming up their ball gloves outside for the weekend, I warmed mine up watching Cornelius and Soul Train. Priorities, son!

My eyes did fill with tears as I drove and first heard the radio report last week. It hit harder than I might of thought. The following phrase is part of some very fond memories of musical discovery:

"... and you can bet your last money, it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey! I'm Don Cornelius, and as always in parting, we wish you love, peace and soul!"

• Members

I have been rediscovering Steely Dan this week, specifically the wonder of their lyrics. I'm hearing them differently now. I've always thought their music was very easy listening - melodic for sure. But what struck me this week -and I think it is because of the help I've received on my lyrics - how special their lyrics are.

They sound like they are singing about concrete things, like it's a story. But shock of shocks, they are not. In fact, they seem to go from one unrelated thought to another as a song progresses. Most not even related. Yet, their songs worked.

Check out the song "Turn that heartbeat over again" - it's beautiful, especially the chorus. Then examine the lyrics.

Vid

Lyrics

Rick

• Members

[video=youtube;R_saheuIIjQ]

Listening to this incredible song the other day, I noticed for the first time how unconventional the order is

They use a post-chorus bridge, except the first time around they skip right over the chorus. But it works so well that you don't even realize they are doing something that is almost never written in the rock/pop work.

• Members

I have been rediscovering Steely Dan this week, specifically the wonder of their lyrics. I'm hearing them differently now. I've always thought their music was very easy listening - melodic for sure. But what struck me this week -and I think it is because of the help I've received on my lyrics - how special their lyrics are.

They sound like they are singing about concrete things, like it's a story. But shock of shocks, they are not. In fact, they seem to go from one unrelated thought to another as a song progresses. Most not even related. Yet, their songs worked.

Check out the song "Turn that heartbeat over again" - it's beautiful, especially the chorus. Then examine the lyrics.

Rick

I love Steely Dan. I think they sounded 'easy listening' because of how tight the arrangements are. Donald Fagan was a perfectionist who had everything laid out exactly. He was an early user of drum machines as the basic rhythm track to make sure everything stayed in rock solid time. Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter was once asked if it was fun to let it rip when he recorded with Steely Dan. His response was, "you play exactly what Fagan wants you to play." I have always thought that their music all has such a deep groove. Whether it was "Daddy Don't Live," "Babylon Sisters," "My Old School," Hey, Nineteen," or "Cousin Dupree", that rhythm got you moving until you had the inclination to ponder the lyric. Here's a couple of my favorites - one from the 2000's, one from the 70's.

[video=youtube;MY-z_2WlX34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-z_2WlX34

[video=youtube;LAbw37G_7cI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAbw37G_7cI

• Members

Rhino, that porterdavis track is smokin'. I'll have to check out more of their stuff.

A couple of times a month, my job requires me to drive through the hills and hollows of Pocahontas County, WV. Talk about a time warp. I always tune the radio to WVMR FM, Allegheny Mountain Radio. They bill themselves as listener-supported community radio, and they are the real deal. They remind me of what rural American radio used to be before Clear Channel took over the world and killed all that was right and good on the public's airwaves. WVMR plays all sorts of obscure Americana, old acid rock that I had forgotten about, blues, and of course, classic country music. They broadcast lost dog announcements, and every weekday afternoon at 3:55 pm, a classic Jerry Clower standup bit.

Week before last, as I was driving down Highway 92 and watching the morning fog lift, WVMR played this gem. At the time I didn't know it was a cover of a Dylan tune. That explains why I like the nonsensical story so much. Anyway, I think the Roche sisters give it a much better treatment than Dylan and the Band's original recording.

[video=youtube;gLUT1KVXjI4]

• Members

I've been working on a song that is beginning to take on a bluesy feel. I was having difficulty getting the sound right, so I took a virtual tour of the delta for a little inspiration. I don't think I'll take it quite as deep-down and gritty as Skip does, but this tune definitely put me in the right mood. He wrote this when he was being treated for cancer. I'm not sure how autobiographical it really is, but it certainly gives you an authentic blues feeling. One of these days I might learn to play in open D minor.

[video=youtube;2kQA8FfJWDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQA8FfJWDc&feature=player_detailpage

• Moderators

My band The Saltlickers are doing a private party. Always fun. The birthday boy wants to sing Bad Company by Bad Company. Sure. He comes by the rehearsal studio and we listen to it and... god... they were such a GREAT rock band. Totally cool rhythm section. And Mick Ralphs was the anti-guitar-hero guitar hero. You don't even have to mention Paul Rodgers. THIS IS A HUGE INFLUENCE ON ME!!!

[video=youtube;jZk9tycQ9q0]

• Members

It sounds like a straight-forward pop song, but each section is in a different key, and it cycles through D-C-Bb-Fm two times before modulating the C section into C#. :facepalm: And then the arrangement I'm playing requires you to move all over the fretboard and execute longish stretches of triplets at 150BPM. I'm pooped. :o

[video=youtube;YEni70yFIjM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEni70yFIjM

• Members

Now I'm feeling like a jelly fish

Just a spineless, wobbly jelly fish

And it's great... great... so great

Sung over the chords from "My Funny Valentine". I'm not voicing one of the diminished chords correctly (the one under the last "so great") but I'm calling it done. Cause now I still have to go track bass and vocals. :mad:

• Moderators

Marshall's River song brought this to mind. It still sounds good. Robertson lifting Peter Gabriel's MO. Studio crew, musicians. Sounds good. We got that little dude from The BoDeans singing the hook answer and ooo... Maria Mckee as video harlot? oh yeah, nice.

Wait... did you hear that? Oh... this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me.

She said, "One thing you've got to learn, is not to be afraid of it."

I said, "No... I like it, I like it, it's good."

She said, "You like now, but you'll learn to love it later."

[video=youtube;4KP9PNSUME4]

• Members

Wait... did you hear that? Oh... this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me.

She said, "One thing you've got to learn, is not to be afraid of it."

I said, "No... I like it, I like it, it's good."

She said, "You like now, but you'll learn to love it later."

I love it now.

Here's another song that stirs up memories.

[video=youtube;8hAb1UT5L4M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hAb1UT5L4M

And another. This one's personal. My great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather John Kelly emigrated to America in 1712 from Carrickfergus at the ripe old age of 17.

[video=youtube;bSngcH-TVWU]

LCK

• Members

Great album, and i love that track. Brings back memories of Melissa, a girl I dated in University. I borrowed the album from her, but gave it back after I discovered that she was sleeping with a Che Guevara loving anarchist that i worked with at the campus newspaper.

Life is funny that way.

Archived