Boy to a Freak

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Hey Tweedbucket! Interested in a cowrite? I'm thinking glam country. Really...

So guys, how's this working? Make sense? Too lame? I'm serious about glam country. I notice country artists like to "push the envelope" of safe. Or appear to. It's darn tantalizing, Merle. Loud rock guitars, some cool swampy drum beat, a little moralizin' for god and country. Quote some Ziggy/Ronson riffs and refit for country. This work? Dangerously safe.

1st draft

V1

Dayton Ohio underage on dirty streets

While stupid high school jock fools got plenty to eat

He's a vanilla-wafer-thin-cookie, gotta shadow tan

Boy to a freak in a rock and roll band

C1

From a boy to a freak

Boy to a freak

Check the physique, man

Dig the mystique, man

From a boy to a freak

V2

Fog machine, glam queen, tranny under lights

Beat up trash guitar tuned high as a kite

Know-it-all or nothin', dumb and stupid, hand in hand

C2

Boy to a freak

Boy to a freak

Check the physique, man

Dig the mystique, man

From a boy to a freak

V3

Yokahama-Munich-Marseille-Rome and in between

Drugs on toast feed a cocaine glitter dream

What made him that way, his mom'll never know

Stolen pills from her purse, that made him go-go-go

B

you can run, boy, you can hide

you can swim against the tide, boy

spend your money gettin' rock and roll riled *

but nothing's gonna change the fact...

...this man is still a child

C3

Boy to a freak

Boy to a freak

Check the physique

Dig the mystique

From a boy to a freak

• Members

Okay, after listening to the videos I kinda see what you're thinking is in terms of musical styles.

The only problem I see is with the lyric.

In country men are men (or hombres) and women are women.

It's true the women in country may be tough, but they're always retain their femininity.

The only feminine traits allowed to men in country are things like secretly crying when their daddy dies, or when their son (or daughter) is born, or when the Cowboys lose.

There's no crying in baseball, and there's no androgyny in country music.

But other than that...

LCK

• Moderators

...and there's no androgyny in country music.

True... but there are a lot of guys that might say, "Boy George? Shouldn't that be GIRL George! So I'd like to try and keep an eye on that. For instance, the line slamming the jocks. Probably not a good idea. I'd like to attempt to straddle the fence between scandalously out there for them and sort of WTF?!?!?! type staring at the freak.

I don't want to belittle "The Freak". I personally love glam and in my day loved a little androgyny. But I'm straight up hetro. So this character is close to my heart. And I'm sure folks from country small towns know this kid too. Right?

So... it will need a rewrite, for sure. I got arrangement cooking in my head. And you may be right and it's all for nothing... but it's worth to try.

Maybe? :)

• Members

I personally love glam and in my day loved a little androgyny. But I'm straight up hetro. So this character is close to my heart. And I'm sure folks from country small towns know this kid too. Right?

So... it will need a rewrite, for sure. I got arrangement cooking in my head. And you may be right and it's all for nothing... but it's worth to try.

A songwriter's gotta do what a songwriter's gotta do...

So, yeah, go for it. Let's see what develops.

LCK

• Members

The concept piques my curiosity. I'll be interested to hear what you do with it. I can sort of feel a country rhythm in the chorus. "Check the physique, man/Dig the mystique, man" has a feel similar to Cash's "I've been everywhere, man."

One tiny nit to pick with the lyric: the word "wiles" in the bridge doesn't seem right. Sneaky trickery? I don't think that's what you really meant.

• Moderators

I took it to mean "charms," not trickery.

LCK

I meant whim and had it wrong. May I should have the payoff rhyme not be "child" but back to "boy"

spend your money on yer rock and roll toys

...this man is still a boy

But that's a lot of "boys" and I like that it used "boy" then paid off with child. Wild?

spend your money gettin' rock and roll wild

eh

cover up with makeup the scars you thought you hid

...this man is just kid

hmmm

• Members

spend your money gettin' rock and roll wild

This is it.

I don't know enough about country to know what will sell and what won't but I can tell just be reading that this is going to have a great beat. No nitpicks whatsoever, now that "wiles" is out of there. I didn't even know what that meant, and the rest of the your lyric was too down to Earth to toss something like that in.

• Moderators

...now that "wiles" is out of there. I didn't even know what that meant, and the rest of the your lyric was too down to Earth to toss something like that in.

It meant I was trying to say he's still really a kid and I needed a rhyme for child! :) I didn't like the obvious "wild" initially because it conjured cliches right away. Too many to mention. But now, having developed the bridge and having more to work with, the phrase "gettin' rock and roll wild" is a bit of a twist. I think it works. Thanks Justin.

• Moderators

I like them both. Riled has a little bit of insensitive Asian stereotype mocking in rock-n-roll-riled. But I love the phrase. Kinda of a lip twister though. Wild feels a bit more standard and therefore always the second choice for me. But it may just sing way better. And that would seal that deal. I'm happy to have two good candidates to replace a weak spot.

• Members

Yeah, that's interesting...... and pretty good.

I wrote the original lyrics a couple years ago and this weekend put some music to them. I was just being goofy with the lyrics, but shuffled a few things around. It's actually a piano song now. :)

Well, put it to music and see how it goes!

Hey Tweedbucket! Interested in a cowrite? I'm thinking glam country. Really...

So guys, how's this working? Make sense? Too lame? I'm serious about glam country. I notice country artists like to "push the envelope" of safe. Or
appear
to. It's darn tantalizing, Merle. Loud rock guitars, some cool swampy drum beat, a little moralizin' for god and country. Quote some Ziggy/Ronson riffs and refit for country. This work? Dangerously safe.

1st draft

V1

Dayton Ohio underage on dirty streets

He's a vanilla-wafer-thin-cookie, gotta shadow tan

C1

From a boy to a freak

Boy to a freak

Check the physique, man

Dig the mystique, man

From a boy to a freak

V2

Fog machine, glam queen, tranny under lights

Beat up trash guitar tuned high as a kite

Know-it-all or nothin', dumb and stupid, hand in hand

C2

Boy to a freak

Boy to a freak

Check the physique, man

Dig the mystique, man

From a boy to a freak

V3

Yokahama-Munich-Marseille-Rome and in between

Drugs on toast feed a cocaine glitter dream

What made him that way, his mom'll never know

Stolen pills from her purse, that made him go-go-go

B

spend your money
gettin' rock and roll riled

C3

Boy to a freak

Boy to a freak

Check the physique

Dig the mystique

From a boy to a freak

• Members

It sure would be easy to nix the androgyny altogether. Just make him a freaking rock dude. Pull and rewrite these phrases:

glam queen, tranny under lights

And take the jock slam away:

I'd keep glam queen and just lose 'tranny.' The type of person that would get uptight about this subject matter probably wouldn't even catch glam queen, and if they did they probably wouldn't get it. If you were still worried about it, you could say glam king, which could be the name of your glam country hero.

This subject matter screams for a concept album or at least an EP. I'd write 4 or 5 tunes that tell this kids story. Glam Country. Interesting premise.

Archived