Too Much - with music

bee3

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the only reason i say it "may" be this is... i assume its just the drums that are midi (addictive drums) so most probably perfectly in time.... you then play along to it whilst recording and although it sounds fine in the cans... its could be being recorded slightly out of time due to the latency

If the midi drums are perfectly in time and there is latency in the part he's tracking, wouldn't that put the recorded parts behind the drums rather than the other way around?

• Members

It isn't an issue of an out of time instrument (God knows I have tons of experience with that) it is that the drums are delayed, arriving about 1/4 beat late.

yeh the drums are late BUT if he is just using stock beats or drawing them in by midi then id assume these are the ONLY things that are perfect with the click

odd one

• Members

yeh the drums are late BUT if he is just using stock beats or drawing them in by midi then id assume these are the ONLY things that are perfect with the click

odd one

Exactly. So what would cause everything to record early? It makes no sense, but that is what I hear.

• Members

Exactly. So what would cause everything to record
early
? It makes no sense, but that is what I hear.

which is why i guessed latency - if he is monitoring the signal coming out (not going in (which i "think" is possible)) then it will sound like he is playing in time , but he is actually playing a little early and hearing the signal a little late....which "sounds" right

im not quite technical enough

• Members

I agree.

Yet sometimes a line is so good, screw the listener (meaning don't change it). Let him figure it out what's being sung on his own, or let him get a copy of the lyric online or something.

LCK

OK - Justin has called this a showdown - Let there be blood.......

What I am hearing (and what a generation of listeners will hear) is 'Birds are raw with raw emotion'

In her adult years, my youngest daughter talked about some of the song lyrics that she mis-heard and carried around for years,

For example, S&G - 'Dangling Conversation' was often played in the house when she was a kid in the 70's, and she thought the line was :

'And you eat your Emily Dickinson, and I my Robert Frost'

She thought they must be the names of some sort of tea cakes that they had in the 'now late afternoon'.

And then there are the ones that I had wrong for years until I saw the lyric in print (I'm too embarrassed to mention which ones).

So I think the songwriter and singer owe it to the public (depending on the song genre) to keep it clear for the listener.

• Members

Justin - I preferred the earlier version when the 2nd half of the song was pure instrumental in a Stevie Winwood sort of way.
The 2nd half is now verging on yacht rock with its lushness. Sorry.

Also the great line, 'Tired of being burden bound' is sort of lost in the scheme of things.
Could you sing it with a bit more emphasis on the alliteration of the 3b's to draw attention to it : 'being burden bound'

• Members

Yacht rock? I've never heard that term before. :)

Regarding the timing issues, I'm going to step away from this thing for a day or two then have a listen again... I'm stumped. Really, it's probably just my own {censored}ty sense of timing. Who knows?

• Members

Yacht rock? I've never heard that term before.
:)

Regarding the timing issues, I'm going to step away from this thing for a day or two then have a listen again... I'm stumped. Really, it's probably just my own {censored}ty sense of timing. Who knows?

It's strange - I read through a page of comments on drums and timing, but when I listened, I didn't really hear a problem.

I guess that's what comes from not being a production guy - I'm focused on the overall song and not the building blocks.

• Members

It's strange - I read through a page of comments on drums and timing, but when I listened, I didn't really hear a problem.

I guess that's what comes from not being a production guy - I'm focused on the overall song and not the building blocks.

Nah, it is just some of us don't feel the overall song has much to address.

• Moderators

I don't think the drums are too far back in time... they're not loud enough. The feel is actually pretty groovy. They just need to assert their laidback grooviness. Turn 'em up. I think this sounds tits, but needs the tubs to assert their coolness. It's just volume.

• Members

I hope you're right Lee... this thing is killing me. I'm sitting in my living room... don't even have the energy or balls to go back down there and deal with it. :facepalm:

Anyone else share ogp's opinion on the yacht ending? I've already trimmed it back... it's not as lush at the moment. Just a single (well, actually doubled vocal over the three part ba-ba-ba-ba harmonies).

• Members

Anyone else share ogp's opinion on the yacht ending? I've already trimmed it back... it's not as lush at the moment. Just a single (well, actually doubled vocal over the three part ba-ba-ba-ba harmonies).

I'm not going to comment on the production. The song's the thing. And it doesn't need any more work.

LCK

• Members

I love yacht rock .... so I'm biased. :)

Re:Timing

I feel for you. I think I posted something about this when Lee recommended a book on rhythmic subdivision, but my inability to keep accurate time is a long standing bit of musical frustration for me. It's one of those black holes of effort - I do improve with practice, but the more I practice the more I can hear that I'm not hitting the beat as precisely as I should be.

But objectively, I think your timing is pretty darn good. If you want to work on gridifying yourself that can be a useful skill, but don't beat yourself up about it. And I'm pretty sure Lee's prescription will work. It's like playing an out note in a jazz piece - if you do it assertively enough and consistently enough that note becomes an accepted part of the harmony.

• Members

I hope you're right Lee... this thing is killing me. I'm sitting in my living room... don't even have the energy or balls to go back down there and deal with it.
:facepalm:

Firstly , it's a fantastic song, so you have done the hardest part, and done it very well.

Secondly, I kinda wish i hadn't mentioned the timing thing as it seems to be spoiling the song for you. So for that I apologise.

Thirdly, Yacht music sounds like a good thing to me, but the last version you posted (unless ive lost count) was getting a little busy at the end.... the one before that was perfect.

Fourthly, We ALL love us some BeeMusic!!!

• Members

Firstly , it's a fantastic song, so you have done the hardest part, and done it very well.

Secondly, I kinda wish i hadn't mentioned the timing thing as it seems to be spoiling the song for you. So for that I apologise.

Thirdly, Yacht music sounds like a good thing to me, but the last version you posted (unless ive lost count) was getting a little busy at the end.... the one before that was perfect.

Fourthly, We ALL love us some BeeMusic!!!

Yes, from what I can tell, there were three editions

1 - Instrumental end

2 - Mild vox end

3 - Thick vox end

#2 is the {censored}. :thu:

• Members

I don't think the drums are too far back in time... they're not loud enough. The feel is actually pretty groovy. They just need to assert their laidback grooviness. Turn 'em up. I think this sounds tits, but needs the tubs to assert their coolness. It's just volume.

New version has louder drums... I haven't fixed any timing issues, but I did remove all the crap fills so its just steady all the way through.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11496473

• Members

Love it.

One more thing to consider: diction.

I think it would help your singing if you were to make it a point to pronounce your consonants more fully and completely. (This is a lesson I learned from listening to Sinatra, and was borne out by doing some singing workshops with Tierney Sutton.)

"Wake" for instance just sounds like "way." Sometimes "much" just sounds like "muh."

The funny thing for me is that when I focus on pronunciation it takes away some of my nervousness about hitting the right notes. That stuff starts to happen more naturally and automatically when I'm focused on word endings, etc.

Great song. Could listen to it all day.

LCK

• Members

Thanks LCK.

Thoughts on this:

The birdsong wrought with
pure
emotion.

It all depends on how it feels to you when you sing it.

When I imagine myself singing that line, I'd go for raw emotion. But I tend to think of most birdsong as having a raw quality to it.

LCK

Archived