Inspiration

RocknPop

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

More of a Roland Jazz Chorus kind of guy?

looney.gif

OK... let's get some perspective. Maybe I'm not giving myself enough room with my comment about the LP/Marshall sound. Hate may be too strong a word. Let's say, you'll never find me buying either. I have certainly enjoyed some guitar players who managed to coax a little soul out of such a rig, despite the tendency for most guitarists to dial up that generic 70s hard rock sound.

The Roland Jazz Chorus, OTOH, produces -- IMHO -- what are among the most obnoxious sounds possible from almost any guitar -- and all without having to get loud or nasty or any of that. I just hate that... sound. (Needless to say, I was not a fan of the Police. And a half.)

No, I'm a Strat/Fender amp guy -- despite the fact that I really hate what has become of the company and my Blues Jr is the noisiest freakin' thing imaginable (since the last Fender amp I used). I have a nice Gibson ES325 (sort of a poor cousin to the 335, mini-buckers, a single f-hole and a set neck; otherwise identical :D ) as well as a Lexicon Signature 284 low power recording amp [it's a really well made unit, everything the Blues Jr is not] -- but I keep going back to Hum and Hiss Central with my single coil 60s style J-strat and my original release BJr... 'cause it's got the tone I want.

• Moderators

Yeah but... you know what sounds really good? A Vox AC30 and a JC120 in parallel. CRANKED You get the crunch and the articulation. Mid 80's, a lot of guys were playing that setup. Iggy's guitarist, Lord of the New Church... God I forget who else. It just seemed evry show I saw for a stretch in the 80's was that setup. FREAKIN' LOUD too!

• Moderators

JC120 = unlimited clean headroom and 80 pounds of load-in.

I played with two consecutive lead singers who played occasional 2nd guitar through one of those. Loud. Nothing like a weak guitarist really loud and clean. I learned how to turn that VOL knob down without even looking at it. Sort of a drive by center stage, make a rock move while turning down jimi. What? No I didn't!

• Members

JC120 = unlimited clean headroom and 80 pounds of load-in.

:D

There's that, too. But a Marshall stack ain't exactly featherweight. Or a Fender Concert for that matter. In fact, I'm guessing the FC weighs around the same as the RJC.

• Members

Yeah but... you know what sounds really good? A Vox AC30
and
a JC120 in parallel.
CRANKED
You get the crunch and the articulation. Mid 80's, a lot of guys were playing that setup. Iggy's guitarist, Lord of the New Church... God I forget who else. It just seemed evry show I saw for a stretch in the 80's was that setup. FREAKIN' LOUD too!

I don't think I've ever played through an AC30 but I'd kind of like to sometime.

Something just occurred to me, if I'm not mistaken the RJC is a transistor amp, is it not? Why so heavy, I wonder?

• Moderators

I don't think I've ever played through an AC30 but I'd kind of like to sometime.

It's too much amp for the sane. 30 watts doesn't sound like much but it didn't break up early. So you had to crank it. LOUD. The speakers were 2, 15 watters. So they tended to break up too, giving you that classic distorted chime that'd make your ears bleed. It had a narrow beam of projection. Just scan the room and look for the dead bodies to figure where it was pointed.

Try an AC15

• Members

It's too much amp for the sane. 30 watts doesn't sound like much but it didn't break up early. So you had to crank it. LOUD. The speakers were 2, 15 watters. So they tended to break up too, giving you that classic distorted chime that'd make your ears bleed. It had a narrow beam of projection. Just scan the room and look for the dead bodies to figure where it was pointed.

Try an AC15

Yeah... I'd be more likely to get something 5 watts or under, actually. My Lexicon has two 3 watt (class A) channels and just using one of them into a decent cab is way more loudness than I need. You can dial in saturation, and it's pretty gradual, but it just doesn't have that... you know... Fender spank. Of course, it also doesn't have all that Fender noise either.

I'm actually 'happy' with my BJr aside from the friggin' noise. It's on my back most burner to go through it and do some of the Bill Machrone Blues Jr specific mods (for those up on their BJr issues) which I understand can greatly reduce noise. OTOH, I'd be leery of losing the sound I like...

• Members

Ah... of course, there are speakers and then there are...
speakers
. I've picked up 15's that were lighter than some 6's because the 15 had some wee, tiny magnet and the 6 was just about all magnet.

Yeah... I'd be more likely to get something 5 watts or under, actually. My Lexicon has two 3 watt (class A) channels and just using one of them into a decent cab is way more loudness than I need. You can dial in saturation, and it's pretty gradual, but it just doesn't have that... you know... Fender spank. Of course, it also doesn't have all that Fender
noise
either.

I'm actually 'happy' with my BJr aside from the friggin' noise. It's on my back most burner to go through it and do some of the Bill Machrone Blues Jr specific mods (for those up on their BJr issues) which I understand can greatly reduce noise. OTOH, I'd be leery of losing the sound I like...

I have the Fender Vibro Champ which is 5 watts and all the amp I need... and it has a tube.

• Members

Yeah... I'd be more likely to get something 5 watts or under, actually.

I'm actually 'happy' with my BJr aside from the friggin' noise.

I bought my 1st amp in over 40 years about 18 months ago. I settled on a Brit amp - Laney Lionheart 5 watt. They sport a 12" Celestion speaker. Beautiful spring reverb.

I tried the Jnr. but it didn't do it for me.

The lead guitarist I play with sold his Jnr. once he heard the Laney.

There are Laneys and there are Laneys, but the Lionheart range are particularly nice with clears and gain.

A bit of hum from the single coils on my Tele, but quiet as a church with the 335 humbuckers.

• Members

I played with two consecutive lead singers who played occasional 2nd guitar through one of those. Loud. Nothing like a weak guitarist really loud and clean.

Ha, that could pretty much describe me. Bass can sound pretty good through the JC however, especially acoustic bass.

Archived