Friday Influences Thread 03-09-12

Lee Knight

• Members
We've been fighting about Bon Iver in GJ for the last couple of months. The discussion over there is much more heat than light, but even after a couple of sincere attempts I must admit, I just don't get it. However, your comment: "It isn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't want to step on the Bon Iver discussion, but one last Nilsson sings Newman, if I may. I can't recall ever hearing Randy sing this gorgeous ballad -- whose melodic line has a sudden, poignant jump -- an interval that would be difficult for a pop singer with less perfect intonation than Harry Nilsson to 'nail' as effortlessly as he does.

The only other recording I ever heard -- and I loved theirs just as much -- was one by Harper's Bizarre. This almost didn't make the album, and this uploaded version includes a snippet of conversation at song's end -- on what was obviously a first take. Is this just as beautiful, 40 years on?

• Moderators

Never heard of Harry Nilsson before, but that is a nice melody. I prefer the acoustic version LCK posted.

Yeah, I love that as well. I swear, I can hear it as a House 4 on the floor thing as well. It's just a singular yet universal kind of thing. I really dig it deeply.

• Moderators

I listened to both his albums, and I can't say I necessarily disagree with you. Still I think there is something there worth exploring. Yeah, his first album, while decent, to me is a little too ordinary, too guitar strummy--if you aren't into that sort of thing, it might be easy to dismiss. But his latest one has a few really unique sounding tracks such as the one above that really drew me in, and compelled me to give his other stuff a chance. I also think it's cool that his music is very indie-sounding, far removed from the major label machine, yet is connecting with many people. It's refreshing to see a guy making the music he wants to make, and having success with it.

Nice post, Kurdman. His 2nd album, for me, is not for listening too. It is more for absorbing in the wind. I love driving my wife's ragtop down the coast with that blasting. They're not songs as much as amazing Doors of Perception type textured wall covering. Beautiful to to hear and touch. It becomes part of the environment.

I know that sounds sort of precious and fiddly but... that's my experience with that album.

• Members

Nice post, Kurdman. His 2nd album, for me, is not for listening too. It is more for absorbing in the wind. I love driving my wife's ragtop down the coast with that blasting. They're not songs as much as amazing Doors of Perception type textured wall covering. Beautiful to to hear and touch. It becomes part of the environment.

I know that sounds sort of precious and fiddly but... that's my experience with that album.

Tell ya what - next time I'm driving the California coast with the top down on my convertible I'll give it another shot. ;)

• Members

So I was trying to finish tracking a version of
this
last night. I had already laid down the drums, bass and organ, which sound vaguely like
this
. I was mostly playing guitar, the song has four choruses: laid out the first chorus, used the neck pickup and the rhythm channel on the amp to play something like
this
for the second chorus, switched to the bridge pickup and the lead channel to play something like
this
for the third chorus, and then switched back to the neck pickup and the rhythm channel for some of
this
. Then I added the vocal, which was something like
this

Why this combination of elements? They're all influences, aren't they?

Wound up sounding like this. I don't think any of the influences are particularly apparent. :idk:

• Moderators

I just got this Civil Wars CD today. I'm liking it lots. Obviously influenced by the guitar and piano,male female dual voices from Glen Hansard's Once. I love it... cool, sad lyrics, both of them. And both exploring the theme of opposites. Yin and Yang. And the beauty and sense of paradox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcHI2uNHrvQ

• Members
Tell ya what - next time I'm driving the California coast with the top down on my convertible I'll give it another shot.
;)

Funny, I was thinking today how his music strikes me as sort of the antithesis of warm convertible weather for me...maybe partly 'cause of the whole story about him and the cabin in the woods...to me, it's the type of music you'd listen to all couped up in the house on a cold, rainy day. Could I listen to it in the summertime? Would I want to? Not questions I usually ask myself in regards to most music (except maybe Christmas songs), but there ya have it.

• Members

Funny, I was thinking today how his music strikes me as sort of the antithesis of warm convertible weather for me...maybe partly 'cause of the whole story about him and the cabin in the woods...to me, it's the type of music you'd listen to all couped up in the house on a cold, rainy day. Could I listen to it in the summertime? Would I want to? Not questions I usually ask myself in regards to most music (except maybe Christmas songs), but there ya have it.

I've been thinking about this feel recently. Been listening to the album repeatedly, there's some great sonic moments, but I don't think I can drive to it. The sonic emotional gems are really there, and it's really about emotional sound landscapes than a story, but it's not a driving album.

For me it's a "there's snow outside, I have a fire in the fireplace, a glass (or several) of red wine and having an introspective night".

That being said, I was in the local booze store today and they were pitching some french wines on a poster with the tag line "bonne verre" which reminded me of this discussion, wierd eh?

• Members

Suuuuurrreelly you know his version of this??

or THIS amazing song!?

And let's not forget this:

EDIT: Oooh, almost forgot about this one. His only #1 hit (which also happens to be a cover of a Badfinger song).

• Members

I think this is my favorite Harry Nilsson song.

Have you ever watched a moonbeam

as it slid across your windowpane

or struggled with a bit of rain

or dance about the weathervane

or settle on a moving train

and wonder where the train has been?

Or on a fence with bits of crap around its bottom

blown there by a windbeam

who searches for a moonbeam,

who was last seen

looking at the tracks

of the careless windbeam

or moving to the tracks

of the tireless freight train

and lighting up the sides

of the weathervane

and the bits of rain

and the windowpane

and the eyes of those

who think they saw what happened?

I also love Nilsson's soundtrack to the Robert Altman film, Popeye.

"Blow Me Down," Popeye's (i.e., Robin William's) opening number.

The town drunk, Barnacle Bill's song. "Din' We?" This one was cut from the film, and was sung by longtime character actor, who appeared in numerous Altman films, Robert Fortier.

[video=youtube;-_S7N-c37B4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_S7N-c37B4

Olive Oyl tells us why she loves Bluto. "He's Large."

LCK

• Members

I agree with you Lee Charles Kelley -- "The Moonbeam Song" (which I haven't heard in over 30 years) was surely one of Harry Nilsson's "Top 5."

I never knew Harry wrote the soundtrack songs to Robin Williams' POPEYE. Does anyone remember his soundtrack for the animated TV special, THE POINT? Songs that have stayed with me (my wife and I -- listening to these for the first time in decades, and remembering lines like, "Think about your troubles! Pour yourself a cup of tea, and think about the bubbles . . . "

I never actually saw

• Members

My personal favorite above all others -- I think it was his too (it's on his tombstone -- with a snippet of sheet music). Yes, Harry would tell you this was his high water mark, his "I Remember You" (Johnny Mercer's favorite of his own songs).

Life was clear . . . close your eyes . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU1IMXe8EkI

Archived