Orange AD140 review

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How would you compare the RV100 to your ex ad140?

Clean headroom and flexibility would be an issue with Rockerverb 50. With no gain or midrange control you can only do so much. The pre amp gives you virtually no grit and it just starts to distort when played loud. Though with a 50w 6v6 amp I could see it not being the best option for loud cleans. I find I can get prestine cleans out of my RV100 at really high volume. There is also the option to run other tube types(6L6, 6550, KT88) that would give more wattage and headroom.

A big downside of the RV of course is that the dirtiness of your clean tone depends on your volume levels. I sometimes like glassy cleans and use guitars with different pickup types/outputs. So no gain control or mid control is a little weird to me.

I personally miss Channel 1 from the AD140. Though I'm content with the RV100's clean.

Overdriven tone is another story. Don't get me wrong. I loved the AD140, largely because it was a more vintage voiced amp that wasn't really meant to do the more modern sound that I made it do(and I'm not one to use gain pedals.) I ran Channel 2 with the volume and lows right about full tilt(I can play that loud in my band, most people here probably don't) and dialed in the mids and highs pretty high as well. I only ran the gain about 6. Huge thick tone on the border of stoner sludge and just grindy enough in the mids to keep up with faster playing.

The Rockerverb is voiced tighter and has a bit more gain. Basically I feel like I found the tone I was digging into the AD140 for and it's a lot easier to obtain at all volume levels. It does all sorts of modern hi gain tones and "teh br00tz" if you want. But it just has such a dynamic and open feel to it. You can actually turn down the gain and use it as a totally decent clean channel. Which a lot of high gain amps just don't do because they're so overly compressed and loaded with gain you will never use.

IMO both the AD 140 and RV 100 are amazing amps. Just depends on what you play. As far as the Rockerverb 50 goes, I'm not a fan of lower wattage amps in general. I'm sure they're perfect for some people. But I play with serious volume and I need decent headroom and clarity. 100w-ish is pretty perfect for me.

Archived