Looking for metal/brutal amplifier...

unit11

• Members
  • Members

just played with BTBAM a couple weeks ago an dustie was using a mesa roadster. paul was using a mesa markV. they both sounded great. i think that a used markIV would be very close to that tone...

but as others have said if you get a chance ,check out a titan. i got to play on zacks' prototype (i think, correct me if i'm wrong); and it was a smokin amp, that was really clear and big. it had everything i like about the 5150/5150III's, but much clearer, and you could get a great rock tone and a jangly clean as well...

• Members
The Sig X wouldn't be my first choice for metal. It's a nice amp though. I'd look for a used (newer '07-'08) VHT UL for around $2k.

An ENGL Fireball 100 would be a great choice too - plus you'd save some cash. Mesa Roadster with a boost pedal - like a BB preamp or a OD-9 or something would be great too.

Check out Baron Custom Amps - K88 model

07' - 08'? I had a 2000 with the gain stacking and eq. Was there something different in 07' 08'?

• Members

The Sig X wouldn't be my first choice for metal. It's a nice amp though. I'd look for a used (newer '07-'08) VHT UL for around $2k.

An ENGL Fireball 100 would be a great choice too - plus you'd save some cash. Mesa Roadster with a boost pedal - like a BB preamp or a OD-9 or something would be great too.

Check out Baron Custom Amps - K88 model

Ditto to all of this. Except I've never heard/played through a Baron amp.

• Members

Other amps to check out:

Titan- Can't recommend this one enough. Very versatile with good cleans, crunch and amazing hi gain.

Peters Amplification

Mako Amplification

These are going to be very well made, have a lifetime warranty and will get you more bang for your buck compared to some of the other amps listed.

Engl only has a 1 year warranty. Keep that in mind.

You would not want an e530 if you want a very low and grunting rhythm. It is a drier preamp and has more of a tight percussive nature to it than a pushing sound.

An EVH III is fantastic but again with the issue of reliability. It is made in Mexico and I have seen some break down.

A Mesa Mark is a great amp but make sure you like its kind of sound, the Recto's are going to be way too loose.

A JVM Marshall would also be a good amp to look into.

I would advise checking out the top three I mentioned above as I usually see more people satisfied by them than other amplifiers.

• Members

Other amps to check out:

Titan- Can't recommend this one enough. Very versatile with good cleans, crunch and amazing hi gain.

Peters Amplification

Mako Amplification

These are going to be very well made, have a lifetime warranty and will get you more bang for your buck compared to some of the other amps listed.

Engl only has a 1 year warranty. Keep that in mind.

You would not want an e530 if you want a very low and grunting rhythm. It is a drier preamp and has more of a tight percussive nature to it than a pushing sound.

An EVH III is fantastic but again with the issue of reliability. It is made in Mexico and I have seen some break down.

A Mesa Mark is a great amp but make sure you like its kind of sound, the Recto's are going to be way too loose.

A JVM Marshall would also be a good amp to look into.

I would advise checking out the top three I mentioned above as I usually see more people satisfied by them than other amplifiers.

Great post.

A lightly used Marshall JVM could do all he's wanting at less than $2K.

I love the EVH III's but man, I've seen firsthand what can happen to those amps.

I dunno...Bugera quality control is all I can think of.

• Members

Great post.

A lightly used Marshall JVM could do all he's wanting at less than $2K.

I love the EVH III's but man, I've seen firsthand what can happen to those amps.

I dunno...Bugera quality control is all I can think of.

I actually should save that post. So many people want good leads, heavy rhythm and versatility in their amps that I find that list to be very useful.

And the EVH III being made in Mexico was a really cheap move. 2k for a made in Mexico amp? It sucks even more because I love that amp a lot, it is one of my favorite sounds.

It reminds me of Nike and how their 100 dollar shoes may be really well designed, but they are still made in China:facepalm:

• Members

I'm going to be camping the local stores for a while, I've seen Mark IVs come through every once in a while. I've never really sat down with one for more than a couple minutes, and that was waaay back when I was just getting into electric guitar and my impression was "Why do they got all these knobs and things?"

Maybe I'll give it a closer look this time! :D

I'm also interested in JVM because it's another amp that wanders through the local shops. I like the idea of try before you buy.

If those feel like they're taking too long (ie: Band starts moving on stuff before I have an amp), I'll probably make a decision for something else. Definitely going to comb over whatever I can find on the list grunge posted. Every says such good things about Titan amps...

• Members

I'd love to hear what you did to that Penta.. The Penta was a huge disappointment to me.. The lo-gain to crunch tones were pretty sweet, but the high gain(trucker chick setting) was absolutely the worst high gain sound I've heard from a Peavey.. I have no idea what they were going for with that..

The mudflap setting switches to an entirely differetn EQ circuit so the EQ must be re-set when using that mode.

http://www.fjamods.com/Penta.html Here's my Penta page. There are other videos of that same amp doing other type tones on here.

Jerry

• Members

just played with BTBAM a couple weeks ago an dustie was using a mesa roadster. paul was using a mesa markV. they both sounded great. i think that a used markIV would be very close to that tone...

but as others have said if you get a chance ,check out a titan. i got to play on zacks' prototype (i think, correct me if i'm wrong); and it was a smokin amp, that was really clear and big. it had everything i like about the 5150/5150III's, but much clearer, and you could get a great rock tone and a jangly clean as well...

first, i hate you for playing with BTBAM :mad:

second, it was a production amp...it actually belongs to the other guitarist in my band :thu:

• Members

This +1.

Also add the Engl Powerball.

Archived