NAD: Baron Custom Amps K88 - Dual Gain/Level

mhenson42

• Members

I just got this Baron Custom Amplifiers K88 with the Dual Gain/Level option in the other day. I spent some time with it last night and I'm really impressed. I just may end up selling my Uberschall Twin Jet. The K88 is much more open sounding - the Uber sounds congested and almost nasally in comparison. The mids are much more up front with this amp. It has a mid shift switch to focus either on high-mids or low-mids. It has a tight bottom end in normal mode, but there is a tight mode as well and it get alot tighter. Tonally, I guess to me, it seems like an SLO, but not as bright, more gain and more Uberschall/5150 like saturation/aggression. This amp doesn't get fizzy/muddy or overly compressed.

It has a foot-switchable dual gain option which allows you to set 2 gain levels on the lead channel. Gain B has 3db more gain than Gain A, so if you set the gains at the same amount, Gain B acts like a boost. There are also separate Level controls for each Gain mode. The Thrust knob basically gives the amp alot of Uber-like girth. I think the Uberschall is a little thicker. With the gain dialed back, it gets great low-gain tones, but I thus far, I still like channel 1 of the Uber Twin Jet better. The effects loop is great. It handles pedals and rack gear equally well. There are send/return level controls as well - so you can make sure you don't have volume balancing issues (unlike the loop on the Uber - which is horrible). It's foot-switchable too. The clean channel is nice, but I don't really care about that. There is a bright switch to prevent treble roll off when the gain goes down.

Other positives is that it is one of the best low-volume amps I've played - even better than ENGLs and my Herbert and it has a external bias.

Here are pics and youtube clips of my amp (Dave the builder made the videos).

Baron-1.jpg

Baron-2.jpg

Baron-3.jpg

Baron-4.jpg

[YOUTUBE]o4B1UOYOqRo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cjsmymDz67k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]obufzW5mIYI[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not a fan of the chicken wire grill.

Do he have other options ?

That's the one thing I'm not a fan of either. He does a wood/tolex face-plate as well - but I got this at a good price since the original buyer, for whom the amp was built for, backed-out. Fortunately, it was exactly what I wanted from a cosmetics standpoint.

Dave is a custom builder, so I'd imagine if you can think of it and pay for it, he could probably do it.

• Members

Love it.

I like the chickenwire actually.

The one thing that worries me about barron, is that the builder plays standard tuned, or drop D guitars in all his videos. I am not sure if he designed, tested, and built those amps around low tuned guitars.

• Members

Love it.

I like the chickenwire actually.

The one thing that worries me about barron, is that the builder plays standard tuned, or drop D guitars in all his videos. I am not sure if he designed, tested, and built those amps around low tuned guitars.

My buddies fender twin sounds pretty damn good with my Baritone (drop A) I dont think fender tested it for that either. :idk:

• Members

My buddies fender twin sounds pretty damn good with my Baritone (drop A) I dont think fender tested it for that either.
:idk:

He claims that the amps handle low tunings well, but it is fairly apparent by his playing and by the tuning in his videos that he doesn't play in low tunings. I think it's important to incorporate that into your R&D.

I could be completely wrong, perhaps the amps are awesome for low tuning.

• Members

He claims that the amps handle low tunings well, but it is fairly apparent by his playing and by the tuning in his videos that he doesn't play in low tunings. I think it's important to incorporate that into your R&D.

No worries dude. Matt plays his guitars in drop B and C. I'm pretty sure that's what he based his review on.

On the other hand, I may have to pick one of these up to hold me over for the NATAS. Great price for these things.

• Members

This clip sounds awesome and it sounds like it's in B, but I'm not sure.

http://www.baroncustomamps.com/Clips/Baron%20K2%20Melodeath%20Clip.mp3

Archived