Theory for Songwriters

Lee Knight

• Members

Are E# and F not the same thing?

They are enharmonic equivalents. They sound the same (in an equal temperament tuning system); their function is different.

I'm not talking about the name of the chord, if that's where the confusion is stemming from. What I'm saying is to understand why that chord has such an otherworldly sound, you have to see in which context it's used.

Right. In Man in the Mirror, it is pretty clear that it has a dominant function; it's being used as a V chord in the key of G.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

They are enharmonic equivalents. They sound the same (in an equal temperament tuning system); their function is different.

Right. In Man in the Mirror, it is pretty clear that it has a dominant function; it's being used as a V chord in the key of G.

The thing that always stuck me about the rasied 9th on the V7 chord... is it's a b7th of the upcoming I. It foreshadows the resolving I, even though the I might not use or favor a b7th. Just as pointed out earlier, a sus4 on a V has a similar appeal, that sus4 will be the 1 of the I chord and we all know and love that trick, I think that is a big part of the raised 9th on the V's appeal.

• Members

I love major. Because that relative minor is always there to shade the emotion.

The relative minor to G is Em, what do you call Bm as it relates to G? That is another very common minor shade.

Edit: I understand iii, I'm just wondering if there is a term for that chord connection.

• Moderators
The relative minor to G is Em, what do you call Bm as it relates to G? That is another very common minor shade.

Edit: I understand
iv
, I'm just wondering if there is a
term
for that chord connection.

I know you mean iii and not iv but want to clarify for lurkers, etc. The iii is called the Mediant chord. It's typical function is to act as a passing chord almost. It wants to resolve to the IV. Or... is a descending root motion from IV, iii, ii I, or to the vi...

In other words, it's no relative minor. The relative minor is actually a resolution of sorts. Right? It's almost the same chord as the tonic I. but the iii is always just passing through. :)

• Members

Thanks to Canvas (in my hometown, Ottawa!) for all of this interesting "theory-applied" (a great thread keeps getting better!)

Whoever asked, have some fun in G then throw in a F-F# trill, you'll see how weird it sounds.

It's also nice to use instead of iii in major keys and v in minor keys, because it stacks the leading note of the harmonic minor (or its fifth mode, if in a major key) and the subtonic of a natural minor, so it'll give you that jazz-funk feel. Try playing Am then E7#9 or C then E7#9 and rejoice. Cool way to use a leading tone in a minor key without sounding like Bach, I feel, not that that's ever a bad thing.

@Mark: He's adorable!

• Members

We're talking about keys, right? Bm is D's relative minor, so moving from G to Bm is the same thing as moving from G to D, tonal center aside. It's pretty much a move to the dominant key, no?
[Edit] Don't look at me like I know what I'm talking about, Mark, I can't even read sheet music!

• Moderators

So keys pull towards each other in the same way chords do? My uneducated guess would be that that tend to want to remain right where they are, so I'm listening.

I'm lost. I'm talking about a specific chord's function, regardless of key.

• Members

That's what I thought too... Lee, when you said there's always that relative minor to shade the emotion, were you talking about modulating for example from C major to A minor?

[Edit] A dictionary would be helpful I think.

• Moderators

A dictionary would be helpful I think.

OK... got it. C to Am is not a modulation. Yes, technically you are changing from the key of C to the key a Am... but they are the same thing. Or at least teh same key sig what... boy I'mout of my element. I forget how to explain that. {censored}. Well... understand that C and Am are the same key signature. So they both share the same pool of notes, even though the tonal center shifts, from C to A. So really, same key.

• Members

I get that, but what were you trying to say in that #104?

To clarify, in #108 I was answering Oswlek: moving from the key of G to the key of Bm is more easily understood as modulating to the dominant key. Now, if he was talking about chords and there is such a thing as a "relative minor" in that domain, I should probably just be quiet and listen.

• Members

OK... got it. C to Am is not a modulation. Yes, technically you are changing from the key of C to the key a Am... but they are the same thing. Or at least teh same key sig what... boy I'mout of my element. I forget how to explain that. {censored}. Well... understand that C and Am are the same key signature. So they both share the same pool of notes, even though the tonal center shifts, from C to A. So really, same key.

My experience with jazz musicians is that they might call out a key for a spontaneous groove on a well-known tune by saying, "'Stardust,' in two flats," and -- bam -- they're all playing in Bb. They might also work out on a well-known tune in a minor key by saying, "'Nature Boy,' in two flats," and -- bam -- they're all playing in Gm.

Does that give you a picture of why C and Am are the same key? Same number of sharps and flats.

LCK

• Members

I get that, but what were you trying to say in that #104?

To clarify, in #108 I was answering Oswlek: moving from the key of G to the key of Bm is more easily understood as modulating to the dominant key. Now, if he was talking about chords and there is such a thing as a "relative minor" in that domain, I should probably just be quiet and listen.

FWIW, I wasn't refering to the key of Bm, I was just asking how Bm relates to G since it is a very common combination.

• Members

moving from the key of G to the key of Bm is more easily understood as modulating to the dominant key. Now, if he was talking about chords and there is such a thing as a "relative minor" in that domain, I should probably just be quiet and listen.

I don't think there's any such thing as a dominant key. Maybe I'm wrong.

Moving from the key of G to Bm is essentially the same as moving from the key of G to the key of D, and D is the dominant chord in the key of G. Is that what you meant?

LCK

• Members
Oh boy... Reading Wayne Dyer again?

"Write sad song"
. Sure, if you have the vocabulary to do it. Three chords is plenty. And you can stay right there. But you don't have to. It's not like you're becoming less in touch with emotion or truth if you decide to go further with a study. God, I really hate that notion.

Oops. I was only kidding. Shoulda put in some winkies ;) ;) ;) ;)

(I rarely use just 3 chords myself. Admittedly I'm not a superstar on theory. But I know what a tonic is. [and I'm not talking quinine water])

• Members

C and Am are not the same key. They are related (hence the term relative minor) and they share the same key signature, but the are not the same key. You can play Rounaround Sue as C Dm F G, and even though there is an Am chord in it, it is clearly in C Major. Conversely, House of the Rising Sun is clearly in Am, not C Major.

I have to get to work, but I will to post more on this later.

Archived