Where are non-prestige Ibanez guitars made?

Chrisjd

• Members

My understanding is that they are no longer being built in the Korean factory. All non prestige Ibbys come from Indonesia.

I read this on the Ibby forums a while back. Don't know if it's true but thought I'd pass it along.

• Members

My understanding is that they are no longer being built in the Korean factory. All non prestige Ibbys come from Indonesia.

I read this on the Ibby forums a while back. Don't know if it's true but thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks. Do you think quality went down with the move?

• Members

Dude. I had an RG made in Indonesia and it was the best feeling and sounding shred guitar I've ever played until you go into the 1k+ range.

yeah, guitars are definately being built better than in the past. I played a chinese made hellraiser c1-fr and it felt and played really nice. I just dont know how people spend 2-4k now on guitars. you can get a be all end all guitar now for around 1k on ebay if you look.

• Members

Old ones were Japan, new ones are Korea, China, or Indonesia.

Yes, all three. There are even some Custom guitars made in China these days, specifically the Artcore Custom line. The quality on those is surprisingly good for Chinese imports.

EDIT: Just found out that Ibanez no longer has a relationship with Cort since Cort just closed their doors in Korea. Therefore Ibanez no longer has any guitars produced in Korea. I had no idea. So the bulk of their guitar line is now produced in Indonesia. :facepalm:

• Members

Not trying to tell ya what do Chris.......but I picked up a Korean made RGT42FX on ebay for 350 w/Ibanez case. It's neck thru.......string thru fixed bridge and it's heavy mahogany. It didn't come with EMG's originally but the guy had put them in. The thing has a very good neck and delivers tone and warm sustain for days. The only upgrade I did was add Planet Waves locking tuners.......which BTW I highly recommend for that guitar you are looking at. It added sustain and better tuning stability. I'm playing it way more than my Petrucci or my Prestige 121 right now. It just has the tone. Just a thought......

• Members

Not trying to tell ya what do Chris.......but I picked up a Korean made RGT42FX on ebay for 350 w/Ibanez case. It's neck thru.......string thru fixed bridge and it's heavy mahogany. It didn't come with EMG's originally but the guy had put them in. The thing has a very good neck and delivers tone and warm sustain for days. The only upgrade I did was add Planet Waves locking tuners.......which BTW I highly recommend for that guitar you are looking at. It added sustain and better tuning stability. I'm playing it way more than my Petrucci or my Prestige 121 right now. It just has the tone. Just a thought......

I've owned/purchased/played about 6 dozen Korean made Ibanez guitars in the last 3 years. I used to part out the RG320DXQM's when that was still profitable, but I also owned a few S470s/S470DX/S470DXQM's, some of the RGT models, and even an SZ320 and SZ520. Of them, I'd say about 20 were good quality instruments that had "it." The rest were off in some way or just downright crap. The key is finding the good ones. It can be hit or miss. I sold my good RGT42DXFM a few months ago to help fund my Caparison, and I do regret it now because that guitar was pretty good, especially since I got it for $200.

• Members

I've owned/purchased/played about 6 dozen Korean made Ibanez guitars in the last 3 years. I used to part out the RG320DXQM's when that was still profitable, but I also owned a few S470s/S470DX/S470DXQM's, some of the RGT models, and even an SZ320 and SZ520. Of them, I'd say about 20 were good quality instruments that had "it." The rest were off in some way or just downright crap. The key is finding the good ones. It can be hit or miss. I sold my good RGT42DXFM a few months ago to help fund my Caparison, and I do regret it now because that guitar was pretty good, especially since I got it for $200.

Yeah I got lucky for sure. It almost makes me sick that I prefer it right now to my more expensive guitars but it's undeniably awesome.....:facepalm::love::lol:

• Members

I have a matte purple RGT42DXFM . made in Korea.

It is basically a Prestige. Same specs- different pickups. (i changed those of course)

flame maple top, mahogany body , 5 piece maple neck / neck thru body , thin Prestige/wizard 1 profile, Inlays , neck binding , metal pickup rings, etc..

I {censored}ing love it and it plays perfect.

Back to the origin - If I remember an artist rep told me Indonesia as far as the bulk of them, but he said that wont matter = the quality will still be there --The Japs (who go to the other factories to QC) are VERY anal when it comes to guitar specs-they (ibanez) wont sell garbage

• Members

mine is a cheap RG2EX2 i got from guitarcenter 3 years ago and i love it to death. i swapped out the pickups for dimarzio's and it plays great. i put the same pickups paul gilbert uses and other than the pained on f-holes its basically a PGM301 minus huge price tag. Of all the guitar companies out there i'd say Ibanez makes some of the best quality cheap guitars.

• Members

Like any guitar in this price-range you should definitely play one first.. Dont order it online.. There are good ones for sure.. I tried a few different Ibanez Xiphos which are made in Indonesia which all sounded and played pretty good to me..

• Members

I bought my RG3EX1 used for like $250. I actually wasn't even shopping around for a guitar that day I was just checking out some amps and it happened to be hanging near by. I was completely blow away with the neck and action that I picked it up on the spot. About a week later I swapped in a set of SD Blackouts and it has been my main guitar ever since.

These guitars also take to downtuning very well and setup correctly. All our songs are played in drop B and I use 13-56's with a wound 4th. Highly recommend these guitars and I challenge anyone to find something in this price range that plays as well as these do. I actually had an RGA Prestige and sold it because it never got any play time because of this guitar I'll {censored} you not.

• Members

I bought my RG3EX1 used for like $250. I actually wasn't even shopping around for a guitar that day I was just checking out some amps and it happened to be hanging near by. I was completely blow away with the neck and action that I picked it up on the spot. About a week later I swapped in a set of SD Blackouts and it has been my main guitar ever since.

These guitars also take to downtuning very well and setup correctly. All our songs are played in drop B and I use 13-56's with a wound 4th. Highly recommend these guitars and I challenge anyone to find something in this price range that plays as well as these do.
I actually had an RGA Prestige and sold it because it never got any play time because of this guitar I'll {censored} you not

Innnnteresting. :idea:

Archived