Writing Lyrics on the Computer: The Drawback!

New Trail

• Members

In certain situations I end up writing lyrics on the computer, with changes as they come to me. However, I save the changes so I don't have all of those notes on the page like I do with scribbled handwritten lyrics with changes and mark-outs still there, too.

• Moderators

One thing you can do is have your work in progress on the 1st page. Then scoot all your previous ideas you want to nix to later pages. As mentioned ^, never overwrite, just push it off top a later page but leave the clean and pretty current work in progress at the top, front page.

A lot of times those ealier ideas are better. You need a way of keeping them handy and still have the freedon to rewrite at will.

• Members

I tend to have blocks of indented text scattered through the lyric with alternate or older versions. Along with inserted lists of rhymes and phrases in case I want to use something different. Basically, it looks pretty much like it did when I wrote on notebook paper ten or more years ago, except none of it is sideways up the margins or circled with arrows pointing to another spot. Now I just move it to the other spot.

• Members

I tend to have blocks of indented text scattered through the lyric with alternate or older versions. Along with inserted lists of rhymes and phrases in case I want to use something different. Basically, it looks pretty much like it did when I wrote on notebook paper ten or more years ago, except none of it is sideways up the margins or circled with arrows pointing to another spot. Now I just move it to the other spot.

Yes, exactly. I do this same thing too. Easy with copy and paste functions. I use bold and italics to indicate things I want to come back to, etc.

• Members

I'm guilty of overwriting and deleting too. I've gotten better at moving the old stuff to the bottom of the page. Some times I find some gems down there.

The thing that scares me the most about digital has always been hard drive crashes. Right now I have all my lyrics backed up on to my server, my Mac, and my iPhone/iPad, so I think I'm safe. Still I need to get it all on the cloud.

I've lost ideas, verses, songs and even notebooks full of all that stuff. Digital works much better for me.

Archived