Friday Influences Thread 07-27-12

Lee Knight

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, "strong melody" (of the sort the Brazilian Cole Porter A.C. Jobim would have admired) seems to be an acquired taste these days. But stick around at least till the other greatest harmonica player (after Belgium's "Toots" Thielemans) takes a signature solo, on a song he composed, (words & music) as my favorite jazz diva of the '80s channels the spirit of Wonder -- heart and soul. [This is about our favorite "influences," right? Indulge me for a few minutes more!]

[video=youtube;V-FdIdVLw4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V-FdIdVLw4A#!

• Members

Wondering how many of us here caught the official opening ceremonies yesterday of the Summer Olympics in London capped by "Hey Jude" by the song's 70-year-old composer. NBC has the copyright on that remarkable performance by the world's best left-handed bass player (and my favorite composer of the latter half of the 20th century) so there's no upload (yet) at YouTube.

But someone has posted Sir Paul's soundcheck of a week earlier -- just a snippet of a song that turned 50 this year -- before someone literally "pulled the plug." Just in case you didn't see this:

• Members

Thanks, shortchord for the reminder of Pink Floyd's great "piano man" -- who actually composed that one. Hard to believe it's been almost four years since his death at home in London, age 65. Talk about important late-60s/early 70s "influences."

----

The songs played at the Olympics' opening ceremonies ranged from England's unofficial national anthem

• Members

yes

:)

Paul's sense of harmony, rhythm and playing for the...
song...
put him squarely on the gold pedestal.

I agree in terms of rock music, though Paul may not be the best per se, he's certainly at the top.

However, there are some left-handed jazz bassiss -- like Jimmy Haslip -- who could clean up the floor with Paul.

LCK

• Moderators
I agree in terms of rock music, though Paul may not be the best per se, he's certainly at the top.

However, there are some left-handed jazz bassiss -- like Jimmy Haslip -- who could clean up the floor with Paul.

LCK

It just begs the question, "What does best mean?"

I don't really think Sir Paul can "clean up the floor" with any of those guys. But he's still the best for my criteria. :)

• Members

It just begs the question, "What does best mean?"

I don't really think Sir Paul can "clean up the floor" with any of those guys. But he's still the best for my criteria.

I think Paul was the best musician in The Beatles. He was by far the best musician in Wings. Beyond that ... well, he's certainly better than I am. ;)

• Members

I dunno, rsadasiv -- I usually respect your opinions, but aren't you forgetting Lennon's best work post-Beatles? 1971's IMAGINE . . . and this seldom-heard more serious work from the following year (1972) produced by Lord Christopher Guest. (CAUTION: Turn down the volume if you are still living in your parents basement.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDOBMz2TGi8

• Members

Thanks for this guys, some great songs here! Really crazy how much different music there is out there. Normally wouldn't listen to most of this stuff.

Yep, that's the idea (or one of them)...

LCK

• Moderators

I'm just loving Ed Sheeran's album. It's really, really good. At least for where I am and where I'm wanting to go...

I just sat in my car, CD cranked, looking at the surf at Moonlight Beach as the family slept in. Drinking coffee and digging Ed's lyric flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0dnp5E8FMo

[video=youtube;q56so7JUc-w]

• Moderators

*sigh*

I'll give her another shot. The kids insist on blasting XM Top-40, and my 5th listen (yesterday) to whatever the new Kimbra track is made me mutter "Wow, she makes Ke$ha look like a musical genius".

Interesting. I think she's awesome. I think she's sort of a cross between Billie Holiday, Shirley Bassey, Kate Bush and Shallow Pop Star. There's a mix there, an intentional one. At cursory glance it appears she's just Shallow Pop Star. She's not. The whole album's very good. For me...

Archived