I Shoulda Been an Actor

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Maybe he's attracted to heavy set gals... legitimately. Would make him interesting.

Exactly. There was that too, I keep hearing Tom Waits lyrically, though I'll be going for more of a Father John Misty sound . But I'm not sure this is fitting into it right.

• Members

Just an idea for V2:

What's a pretty thing like you

A little thick but I'm not telling

Pouring drinks in a dive off Fairfax

We do what we do when we have to, no matter what we're selling

Let's talk about your dreams over my place

I'll make it worth your while

Sometimes you gotta charm the rank and file

The second line doesn't add up. I don't see this guy telling a waitress she is thick unless you set it up as a compliment.

And who is he not telling?

Plus, there shouldn't be a space between "what's a pretty thing like you" and "pouring drinks..."

• Moderators
That's what is holding him back from pursuing a career in acting?

:) holy crap!!!! I've got to adress that too! :)

He's a shouldawhoulda guy. He beleives his "way with a social situation" is evidnece that he should be hanging with David Arrquete and acting in the latest indie smash. Or at least mentioned on E! News!

• Moderators

When I hear thick describing a woman, I'm thinking body type... not exactly fat, but not thin either.

The second line doesn't add up. I don't see this guy telling a waitress she is thick unless you set it up as a compliment.

And who is he not telling?

He's not telling her. I know now it doesn't work. But he's bedding the chunky and thinking she's chunky but saying (or not saying) whatever he can to close the deal. Cause he shoulda been an actor.

• Members

He's not telling her.
I know now it doesn't work
. But he's bedding the chunky and thinking she's chunky but saying (or not saying) whatever he can to close the deal. Cause he shoulda been an actor.

got ya. That's what I figured but when you look at it next to your 1st verse it isn't as clear. I would actually use that as a formula to write the second.

EDIT: something like this

After work another waitress

This one I wouldn't exactly call fat

loosened up as her shift came to a close

It's easy to be kind when they start to smile like that

I said ????????????????

A lie hidden in my smile

• Moderators

...1st verse... I would actually use that as a formula to write the second.

Good idea. I need to use it as the blueprint. It works with the never saying coffee but talking around it. And he's not mean but he is an asshole. He's kinda self-clueless like Ricky Gervais' The Office character who "loves comedy". And believes the staff loves his.

• Moderators

V2
Two deals closed by four thirty
And halfway through a third
Tell them what they wanna hear
Watch me work and you'll find that yes in not a dirty word
You look like sex in that Camaro
Venus in profile

• Moderators

got ya. That's what I figured but when you look at it next to your 1st verse it isn't as clear. I would actually use that as a formula to write the second.

EDIT: something like this

After work another waitress

This one I wouldn't exactly call fat

loosened up as her shift came to a close

It's easy to be kind when they start to smile like that

I said ????????????????

A lie hidden in my smile

Nice rewrite^^^ I said "Have I seen you on TV?"

But I think I'm moving from the bartender/waitress angle. See car lot king one post above ^

• Members

I'm getting closer to this guy, but:

"a lie hidden in my smile"

is a problem for me. If you are a good salesperson (which this guy is) you don't perceive what you just did as a lie. As soon as you realize what they would like to hear in that situation, it becomes true to you, or true enough, so that you believe it and can deliver it with a degree of sincerity. Under direct questioning, off the lot and in an unrelated social setting, you might admit that "god, she really did not look like sex in that Camaro". But the moment you say it, it feels good to you - there's no second guessing, or else you are not going to make it in sales for very long.

• Moderators
I'm getting closer to this guy, but:

"a lie hidden in my smile"

is a problem for me. If you are a good salesperson (which this guy is) you don't perceive what you just did as a lie. As soon as you realize what they would like to hear in that situation, it becomes true to you, or true enough, so that you believe it and can deliver it with a degree of sincerity. Under direct questioning, off the lot and in an unrelated social setting, you might admit that "god, she really did not look like sex in that Camaro". But the moment you say it, it feels good to you - there's no second guessing, or else you are not going to make it in sales for very long.

Interesting point. Let me look at that a while. It should be an easy fix. Shame though, I liked the line. :)

I could soften the Lie to "The truth buried beneath my smile"

BTW, I updated V2 from the smile to:

V2
Two deals closed by four thirty
And halfway through a third
Tell them what they wanna hear
Watch me work and you'll find that yes in not a dirty word
You look like sex in that Camaro
Venus in profile

• Members

The structure is good, the rhymes are good, the images are good. I just really don't get the premis. Why should you have been an actor?

Should have been an actor instead of what your are? What are you? And who is the girl in the camaro? Important? If not, why is she mentioned? And why an actor? Why not a producer, director, real estate mogul, someone else who is famous and rich?

It's not a bad tag line, but I'm still a little confused. But then I'm easily confused. I'm looking for a conclusion, a resolution. Maybe I'm just thick.

• Moderators

The structure is good, the rhymes are good, the images are good. I just really don't get the premis. Why should you have been an actor?

Should have been an actor instead of what your are? What are you? And who is the girl in the camaro? Important? If not, why is she mentioned? And why an actor? Why not a producer, director, real estate mogul, someone else who is famous and rich?

It's not a bad tag line, but I'm still a little confused. But then I'm easily confused. I'm looking for a conclusion, a resolution. Maybe I'm just thick.

There you are! He soulda been an actor cause he's good at lying and he fancies himself and covets the attention of all those guys getting their picture in the paper and on TV E! And she's his customer at the car lot. He's smooth talking her. He think he's slick and resents his lot in life compared to Ryan Gosling's. Hence... he shoulda been an actor. Ever hear anybody say that?

Archived