WOT: Snowboarding!!!

Slim Jim

• Members

Who here snowboards?

I just went for the 2nd time in my life yesterday and had a {censored}in blast.

Of course I feel like I was in a car wreck, but it was worth it.

I need to get down stopping and my turn needs to be better, but I felt my confidence on the board was equivalent to how well I did.

Next time, I'm gonna hit a jump.

I don't know anything about it, but Imma attempt it anyway.

I went to Big Boulder in Lake Harmony, PA if anyone cares.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Been doing it since I was 6. I have a Burton 155 with Flow Bindings and K2 boots. I've been all over the place doing it.

When you jump, remember a couple of things:

1. Never, ever, ever hit a jump on an edge when you're first starting out. That's the quickest way to {censored} yourself up if you don't know what you're doing.
2. Scope the jump before you hit it. Even if it means you have to take an extra ride on the lift, it's worth it. I've hit jumps blind before and caught 15 feet of air only to find that the landing is carved out/completely icy/{censored}ed up in other ways.
3. Don't hit anything too big/beyond your ability level just to look cool. I saw a kid literally break his back doing this.

It's an awesome sport. I adore it, and usually go around a dozen times a year. Just be careful.

• Members

Snowboarding is the awesome...I haven't done it since I tore up my shoulder (for the second time) but nothing beats that feeling..

I was 28 when I started boarding....at 37 I just lost the bottle to want to do it again :-/

GL hitting the jumps... .. but start small until you get the feeling of where your weight needs to be at take off....prepare to land on your ass or your head..or both if you hit it too fast :D

• Members

Yep, I love it. I pretty much live in the mountains from Dec-Apr. I've been riding for about 6 years and just can't seem to get enough. It's a ton of fun, way more-so than skiiing IMO, but those first couple days are PAINFUL! When you're first learning how to ski you generally just fall over or get your skis crossed and go down. On a snowboard, if you catch an edge wrong it just slams you to the ground without mercy. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's a blast!

• Members

I think it was my first run out this season, i caught an edge and took a spill...landed with all my weight on my left wrist.

First thing that came to mind was {censored}, I better be able to still play guitar. Luckily nothing really bad happened.

Its funny with most sports like this I tend to get to a point where im fairly decent, but with more advanced tricks comes the risk of worse injuries so I end up staying at the same level.

Im too much of a {censored} to be really good at snowboarding:cry:

• Members

14 years and counting :thu:

I am just 2 hours away from some of the most amazing resorts due to their view of lake tahoe

usually get a double whammy season pass and make money off it (based on the savings of how much I would have spent)

out of those 14 years only suffered a fractured wrist and a torn mcl (ok, that's a big one)

doesn't matter how great of shape I am in, or how young I was, I am always sore the next day :lol:

• Members

Yep, I love it. I pretty much live in the mountains from Dec-Apr. I've been riding for about 6 years and just can't seem to get enough. It's a ton of fun, way more-so than skiiing IMO, but those first couple days are PAINFUL! When you're first learning how to ski you generally just fall over or get your skis crossed and go down. On a snowboard, if you catch an edge wrong it just slams you to the ground without mercy. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's a blast!

Lots of good resorts in colorado, reasonable pricing compared to a season pass to Teton Mountain resort. Is your home mountain loveland? Thats a nice little resort.

• Members

Anyone ever heard of Reality snowboards. I bought mine second hand when I was first starting 6 or 7 years ago and haven't been able to justify getting a new one yet. Seems to do the trick. Its ugly as sin, but no one is gonna steal it. I'm less than 5 hours from a handful of the Canadian Rockies best resorts which makes for some great memories.

• Members

Anyone ever heard of Reality snowboards. I bought mine second hand when I was first starting 6 or 7 years ago and haven't been able to justify getting a new one yet. Seems to do the trick. Its ugly as sin, but no one is gonna steal it. I'm less than 5 hours from a handful of the Canadian Rockies best resorts which makes for some great memories.

I know its hard to buy something when you wont be able to use for it 9 months, but wait until the after season clearence sales go on. more than 50% most of the time, just to move that years models!

• Members

Fellow boarder here.

I'm a native floridian, but I get out every other year or so. Breckenridge is a favorite spot of mine, can never go wrong there and I love the town.

But ever since I tasted the backside of Vail last time in 06', I am convinced that that is paradise as far as I am concerned.

Booking a trip for the end of the year there. Tickets have at least gone up $100 since last time.

I have all of my gear; not the fanciest, but certainly quality enough to go every now and then without looking like a crackpot tourist. :poke:

• Members

I'm from jackson hole, wyoming. Skiing is one of my favorite hobbies, I've been skiing since I was four.

Anyone else here do backcountry/ob kind of stuff.

I used to do some back country stuff. I have to say that Snowbird Utah is my favorite place.

• Members

i board only because i'm not able to ski anymore after 3 ACL reconstructions. i was a backcountry/freeride skier for the most part, and a professional tech for many years, kind of grew up at the mountain. and while it's definitely fun, snowboards don't offer anywhere near the mobility or access to terrain that skis do, so that's my biggest disappointment. other than that, it's basically the same for me, just standing sideways and no poles.

but when it's steep and deep... :thu: super fun. also much fun in spring conditions. it's turned me into a kind of picky rider. i can't remember the last time i went up without a foot or so of fresh snow on the ground, unless it was t-shirt weather.

i know i'm in the minority, but i'm *really* glad i managed to score a ride/device setup before K2 and Burton managed to {censored} up step-ins for the whole industry, so at least i don't have to sit on my ass with the rest of the gimps and fiddle with straps and nuts and bolts and {censored}. i have a spare set of bindings and some rebuild parts, but if my boots ever wear out i'll cry a little. :cry: it's kind of funny how many people never even knew there were step-ins, and come ask me where i got 'em.

but i'm going to try my luck at tele skiing next winter (no riding this winter - recovering from ACL #3 still) and hopefully that'll be a way to get back on skis without killing my knees anymore. :thu:

• Members

I have been boarding for about 12 years now. I started when I was 13 and decided it was more fun than hockey, besides being better at it.

I just bought a bunch of new gear too. GNU board, Rome bindings and I really want to tear it up, but I haven't had much time lately. I even live about 3 hours away from Banff... I hate having poor friends. It's a bitch to drive at 5 in the morning by yourself.

SG, turns start with your head. When you turn your head, your shoulders follow, then your hips follow. Just try to be smooth. You always want the bottom of your board pointing down the hill. I don't think I need to explain that one if you've been out once... It's all about the transitions from heel to toe for turning. Use the mentality that the bottom needs to be facing the bottom of the hill, except when pointing straight down. Between the heel and toe edge, the board needs to become flat and that's your transition period. If you try and make your board point straight down in that transition period and you do so smoothly, it should work out for you. Practice, dude.

• Members

I need help more with slowing down and turning.

Any advice?

Great to hear the encouragement though.

Thanks guys

I would start out with wide turns, even if you have to go across the whole run to do it. I recommend this so that you can get used to switching between your edges. Just like one person said, if you catch your edge, you get thrown to the ground without any mercy. Once you are comfortable from going edge to edge on your board, start to work on carving. From my experience knowing how to switch from edge to edge will give you better control and stability, which will allow you to be able to slow down and stop quickly.

I hope that makes sense to you.........snowboarding is a blast.........I haven't been in a while due to a broken ankle I had a little over a year ago. I imagine I will be fine, but I am still timid about it. I have been wanting to get a Never Summer board for quite some time now and some Tech 9 bindings and boots.

Cole

Archived