WOT: Snowboarding!!!

Slim Jim

• Members

I need help more with slowing down and turning.

Any advice?

Great to hear the encouragement though.

Thanks guys

slowing down and turning are the same thing. keep your upper body quiet, and all the action below the waist. if you look at a good rider, they're not waving their arms around much, and their head stays pretty still.

if you want to go slower, start a turn with a nice solid edge, and keep turning until you're pointed across (or even slightly up) the hill instead of down the hill. try to keep skidding to a minimum, because skidding makes it a lot harder to switch to the other edge, and a lot harder to actually slow down or control your direction.

best bet - take a lesson from a trained instructor. 1/2 day lesson will do you wonders, and you'll learn concepts instead of pointers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

this thread is perfect timing......I am going to Big Bear California next week. I have four sons ages 13, 12, 11, and 9......I have been skiing several times....my boys never have....

I asked them if they wanted ski lessons or snowboarding lessons, and they want to snowboard.

Is this a bad idea? Most people have told me they would probably pick up skiing easier than snowboarding.....and of course, I have never tried it either....

• Members

Better chime in to say that I am about an
That said, I don't get much time to go (a few times a year now), but when I was much younger I'd go like 70+ times a season. When school was out I'd hit the bus up and go night skiing, and ride every weekend. It was also easier because we could get season passes for $99 as a student.

Snowboarding rules, and the "beat up" part of it will get over soon once you work in those muscles.

• Members

one extra little tip in turning/switching edges -

There's A LOT more that happens in your feet. Pull your left toe up hard while pushing your right toes down, you'll feel the board flex. It will then point you in the direction you're looking to go. Start with your head, end with your feet - this will make a huge difference, I promise. Stay loose, be smooth, it will help tons.

• Members

BTW:

my tip for a noob.

don't stay on the bunny hill on your first day. You will never get the feel for the board flexing and turning correctly. You need HILLS to actually learn how to turn the thing.

{censored}ing this.

My (non snowboarding)friends tried to learn one year, they complained they couldn't turn and kept falling etc. I told them to get their asses onto the medium hills, because they'll learn quicker. They were like "{censored} that dude, we'l get destroyed and die, etc etc etc." I learned to ride by basically do or die. I remember when i first started, I didn't trust myself stopping...I was one of those tools who actually just fell over at the end....haha...obviously after doing that 4 or 5 times, I learned to stop heelside and backside with styyyyyyyyyyle:thu:

• Members

So do any of you guys ride park? Or is everyone here pretty much just get off the lift and go downhill? haha Cause I {censored}ing SUCK at park. I used to be better, but now I'm just way to afraid of getting hurt lolol

used to. I wouldn't try much if i hit the terrain park today though, lol. I'd be quite rusty i'm sure... Its been two years for me without even stepping in the bindings.

what is your definition of "{censored}ing SUCK"?

• Members
So do any of you guys ride park? Or is everyone here pretty much just get off the lift and go downhill? haha Cause I {censored}ing SUCK at park. I used to be better, but now I'm just way to afraid of getting hurt lolol

I'm too fat
I'm too old
I'm too afraid of getting hurt
My center of gravity is REALLY high (I'll still do airs out on the run, but..........)

Eff the park. I hate it.:cop:

• Members

used to. I wouldn't try much if i hit the terrain park today though, lol. I'd be quite rusty i'm sure... Its been two years for me without even stepping in the bindings.

what is your definition of "{censored}ing SUCK"?

As in the furthest jumps I hit ar 60 footers now, anything above that is just a little to far for these (21 year) old bones.

j/k that's pretty xtreme.

lol like, I'm too scared of getting hurt now, won't hit the huge jumps anymore, I'll still hit some of the boxes or rails if they're not really tall or it's not way icy, but now I usually just take another run instead haha.

• Members
As in the furthest jumps I hit ar 60 footers now, anything above that is just a little to far for these (21 year) old bones.

j/k that's pretty xtreme.

lol like, I'm too scared of getting hurt now, won't hit the huge jumps anymore, I'll still hit some of the boxes or rails if they're not really tall or it's not way icy, but now I usually just take another run instead haha.

yeah falling on super hardpack or ice is very unforgiving. Around by me, if you fall at all, that is usually what you're going to deal with. Guys out west have awesome conditions compared to by me.

I remember one double at a terrain park years ago, you basically had to "bomb" it to clear it. If you turned at all, you'd lose speed and come up short. If you simply stood up in the wind, you'd come up short. I bombed it, and guess what? the wind must have died at that instant....because i overshot the {censored} out of it, flat landed like a biiiiiiiish and guess what...on some quality hardpack!:mad: I wouldn't even go near that at this age. (25)

• Members
yeah falling on super hardpack or ice is very unforgiving. Around by me, if you fall at all, that is usually what you're going to deal with. Guys out west have awesome conditions compared to by me.

I remember one double at a terrain park years ago, you basically had to "bomb" it to clear it. If you turned at all, you'd lose speed and come up short. If you simply stood up in the wind, you'd come up short. I bombed it, and guess what? the wind must have died at that instant....because i overshot the {censored} out of it, flat landed like a biiiiiiiish and guess what...on some quality hardpack!
:mad:
I wouldn't even go near that at this age. (25)

lol yeah, we have it lucky.

From here, I'm an hour away from Brighton, Park City Ski Resort, The Canyons, Snowbird, Deer Valley... and I could name more. So many top-notch resorts.

the price is another thing though.

• Members

this thread is perfect timing......I am going to Big Bear California next week. I have four sons ages 13, 12, 11, and 9......I have been skiing several times....my boys never have....

I asked them if they wanted ski lessons or snowboarding lessons, and they want to snowboard.

Is this a bad idea? Most people have told me they would probably pick up skiing easier than snowboarding.....and of course, I have never tried it either....

let them snowboard...they think the old man is ghey for skiing, just put them in lessons and then go blast some runs...Or jump on a board with them, then ub da old brah...but pre-dose with ibprophen. I ride with my kids, boys 33 & 23 and daughter 15...been told many times by older kids/young adults that they wished their old man could ski or ride with them.

• Members

Love it! First time was about 18 years ago. I live in Florida so my trips are limited. The last time out was about 5 years ago at Big Sky (that's the picture). I'll hit the terrain park including the half pipe. I'm not great but never fail to have a good time.

bigsky.jpg

• Members

Yup. I do a lot of park.

What do you wanna know?

Archived