RE: Peavey 5150/5150 II...Ya Know What?

killgrace

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Seems like the brootal crowd loves the 5150 very much. Which would normally turn me away (with prejudice).

But it actually just recently occurred to me that I saw Collective Soul in...1994?...after whatever that big album was.....and yes...the one guy (mostly rhythm guitar player....or "lead guitar player" in 1990-ish+ Collective Soul
:lol:
???)

HE had damn good rock tone. That nice crunchy distortion that bites but doesn't buzz, Drive and sustain, but still clear. It was a smallish place, and I was a few rows from front, so I could actually here the amp. It seemed it was all or mostly 5150 sans accessories.

I'm not much of a Peavey Fanboy (though I recognize Peavey's place in music history) nor 5150 jizzer.....but with the positive comments here, and my Collective Soul live listen....I have to say it can do really good tone, and in several genres. I guess my only issue with it is that once you set it's good tone...THAT'S it. Not a bad thing, in fact, likely good.

Just to add on this. The 5150 has a lot of great NON-Brutalz tones. Mid gain is great on the thing!

• Members

I don't know if it's stock or not, 5150II or 5150, but this is one of the best metal tones ever recorded IMO...

5150s can sound plenty smooth if you want them to (in a full mix) but I think smooth is overrated anyway.

I like smooth for leads. And yes...I VERY often switch to neck pup....but I liek to start with "smooth" on the amp. By "Smooth" I think Satch has a smooth lead tone. So if 5150 gets that..then cool.

Rhythm needs some edge to it.

• Members

Smooth != Processed

FB100 != Processed

Fizz = {censored}

You = Stupid

Stock 5150 = {censored}

Complete and total fail. Stock 5150s have produced some of the best modern metal tones ever recorded.

I think Engl make some great amps, particularly the Savage and the SE, but 5150s are still undeniably the go-to amp for really modern and heavy music.

The 5150 III is a great amp too, and has a nice clean channel, unlike the originals... it sounds a bit different, slightly smoother, but still very cool and very capable of awesome metal guitar tones.

• Members

Complete and total fail. Stock 5150s have produced some of the best modern metal tones ever
recorded

I think Engl make some great amps, particularly the Savage and the SE, but 5150s are still undeniably the go-to amp for really modern and heavy music.

The 5150 III is a great amp too, and has a nice clean channel, unlike the originals... it sounds a bit different, slightly smoother, but still very cool and very capable of awesome metal guitar tones.

Bolded a key word, dip{censored}

Archived