prosonic fans - check this out!

potaetoes

• Members

:facepalm:

Ok, I know that you loved yours....maybe mine was a fluke but after a tube change, re-bias, it still sounded like ass. Clean side way to dark and gain way to bee-buzzy. The reverb was one of the best I have ever heard though....give it that. Maybe I should have kept it awhile longer.....

• Members

Niiicee.

I'll never forget when a friend of mine called me to come check out his new amp, several years ago. I get there and hear this insane {censored}ing metal tone, coming from a little Fender Prosonic combo. Blew my mind...

Unfortunately someone broke in to his home and stole the majority of his gear, including that amp :cry:

He bought a Mesa Rect-O-verb combo to replace it which completely paled in comparison, IMO.

• Members

Right now:

Crate V8

Fender Acoustisonic 30 DSP

Fender Blues Jr. NOS Tweed/Greenback

Vox AC15 CC1/Emminence Red Fang Alnico

Roland JC 77 stock

Carvin X100B head EL circa 1984 or so

Roland Cube 30X

Sovtek Mig 60 head (rock and roll)

Avatar 2X12 with Celestion V 30's

Peavey Classic 30...older one maybe 1997?

Beringer 4X12 straight cab with who-knows what speakers

Fender Bandmaster head 1968 (not working)

• Members

Right now:

Crate V8

Fender Acoustisonic 30 DSP

Fender Blues Jr. NOS Tweed/Greenback

Vox AC15 CC1/Emminence Red Fang Alnico

Roland JC 77 stock

Carvin X100B head EL circa 1984 or so

Roland Cube 30X

Sovtek Mig 60 head (rock and roll)

Avatar 2X12 with Celestion V 30's

Peavey Classic 30...older one maybe 1997?

Beringer 4X12 straight cab with who-knows what speakers

Fender Bandmaster head 1968 (not working)

Holy Crap....most are in the big closet space except for the Crate and the Cube.......C30 in the garage.

Should have kept the Prosonic for a bit???

Retro-GAS

dammit!

• Members

Ok, I know that you loved yours....maybe mine was a fluke but after a tube change, re-bias, it still sounded like ass. Clean side way to dark and gain way to bee-buzzy. The reverb was one of the best I have ever heard though....give it that. Maybe I should have kept it awhile longer.....

yeah, the reverb is the bomb.

they're weird amps to dial in. for starters, they have a ridiculous amount of gain, so you have to keep both gain knobs pretty low (like on 3), also gotta keep the bass way down, mids way up, and treble in just the right spot to balance the channels.

but there's a use for all that gain, for really low-volume stuff. with all the tone controls at zero and the gains and master dimed, there's no sound... then you can just barely crack open the tone knobs a tiny bit to add in some signal, and the most glorious fat waves of high-gain awesomeness spill forth at super-low volumes. it's insane how huge those things can sound at whisper levels.

• Members

I've been keeping an eye on that for quite a while... I think it's very expensive for what it is though. OK, it's cool that Brad Whitford owned it... but I'd rather have the combo and then upgrade it, whilst still spending less.

Nonetheless, kudos for the idea!

• Members

yeah, the reverb is the bomb.

they're weird amps to dial in. for starters, they have a ridiculous amount of gain, so you have to keep both gain knobs pretty low (like on 3), also gotta keep the bass way down, mids way up, and treble in just the right spot to balance the channels.

but there's a use for all that gain, for really low-volume stuff. with all the tone controls at zero and the gains and master dimed, there's no sound... then you can just barely crack open the tone knobs a tiny bit to add in some signal, and the most glorious fat waves of high-gain awesomeness spill forth at super-low volumes. it's insane how huge those things can sound at whisper levels.

This!

Active tone controls are an excellent idea, but sometimes difficult to get to grips with. I think they're an excellent idea though.

As for the gain, yeah, it's insane. I never really go above 2, and I don't ever, ever use Gain 2.

And yes... the reverb is amazing :) biggest reverb tank I've ever seen on an amp. Awesomeness defined.

Perfect recording amp as far as the tone controls controlling the volume goes.

• Members

This!

Active tone controls are an excellent idea, but sometimes difficult to get to grips with. I think they're an excellent idea though.

As for the gain, yeah, it's insane. I never really go above 2, and I don't ever, ever use Gain 2.

And yes... the reverb is amazing
:)
biggest reverb tank I've ever seen on an amp. Awesomeness defined.

Perfect recording amp as far as the tone controls controlling the volume goes.

well, the tone controls on the prosonic are not active. the actual tone stack isn't that unusual at all... just your basic T-M-B arrangement. it's not even a cathode follower, so it's about as non-active as you can get.

the thing that makes prosonics weird to dial in is that several of the knobs do two things at once, not just what they're labeled to do.

for example, the master volume knob controls both the signal coming out of the tone stack (pretty normal) *and* that same knob controls the input impedance of the third gain stage, which is well before the tone stack (totally weird).

Archived