Roland JC-60 vs. JC-120? Any tonal difference?

louloomis

• Members

As for the different versions of the JC-120 having different preamps, I'm speaking in a general sense about the 60 vs. the 120.

I don't use chorus at all, so I don't need the stereo chorus. I just need clean portable power. I know the 120 has more headroom, but the portability issue is an insurmountable obstacle since I need a smaller amp.

Anyone else have any feedback?

Is the JC-60 loud enough to play with a drummer? I don't use any effects at all. So I just need loud clean power.

Thanks.

LouLoomis

• Members

If you don't need the chorus I might include other SS amps to the list of possibilities as well.

The chorus feature is pretty much the only point making JC-series as famous as it is. Without that, it's just another clean amp.

Clean portable power could as well be a Tech 21 Power Engine, for example. Just to throw in something to prove a point that JC-series isn't the only example of clean SS amps out there.

Even with the chorus included in wanted features list I would expand the list of possibilities to cover amps like VH-140C (which actually has a pretty nice clean+chorus tone) or the newer Roland Cube series amps. They're almost as good as their paragon and likely a more inexpensive option.

Old Yamaha SS amps also excel on the clean department, as well as the >30W Gibson G-series SS amps from the 1970's. Most of them can be acquired dirt cheap since people generally hold no value to old SS stuff. Yeah, they suck doing distortion tones but then again you're not looking that feature so...

• Members

If you don't need the chorus I might include other SS amps to the list of possibilities as well.

The chorus feature is pretty much the only point making JC-series as famous as it is. Without that, it's just another clean amp.

Clean portable power could as well be a Tech 21 Power Engine, for example. Just to throw in something to prove a point that JC-series isn't the only example of clean SS amps out there.

Even with the chorus included in wanted features list I would expand the list of possibilities to cover amps like VH-140C (which actually has a pretty nice clean+chorus tone) or the newer Roland Cube series amps. They're almost as good as their paragon and likely a more inexpensive option.

Old Yamaha SS amps also excel on the clean department, as well as the >30W Gibson G-series SS amps from the 1970's. Most of them can be acquired dirt cheap since people generally hold no value to old SS stuff. Yeah, they suck doing distortion tones but then again you're not looking that feature so...

Hi. I know the Tech21 amps very well and own some of their products. I don't like their tone (in their combo amps).

As for the Yamaha G series solid state amps, I like their tone, but the pick attack/dynamics are too spongey and tube like for my tastes.

What's the VH-140C? Is this one of the Ampegs?

I did check out the Roland cube series and it has too many extra features, and doesn't have the overall feeling and lack of boxiness that I want.

This is why I am focused on the Roland JC series.

Anyone else have additional information?

LouLoomis

• Members

You seem pretty focused on the JC60... Since it seems to fit the bill, why dont you simply get it and try for yourself? Worst case you can sell it and buy something else.

As for drummers, if he is a loud drummer, 60watts SS through a 1x12 might not be sufficient for clean tones.

-D

Archived