Mel Gibson - Viking movie

Chezdon

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I kinda found Almut Berg, the supposedly adulterous viking girl whose braids Kirk Douglas cut off by throwing axes, much hotter.

Yes, but don't you remember the scene where Tony Curtis rips off Janet's shirt because she's not rowing fast enough?

• Members

Hey Einstein....."buyable" is not a real word.........check Websters
:facepalm:

It's simple physics. Your eyes can't focus on the action on the screen while they are busy reading subtitles. It has nothing to do with your reading level or mine. It's the simple limits of our frail human bodies. Just like texting and driving. :poke: When you try to do both, your texting and your driving both suffer, compared to doing one task at a time.

"Realism" is fine, and if you like the subtitle thing, so be it. But don't get on your high horse and tell me it's "better".

buy (b?)

transitive verb bought, buying buy?

• Members
If you can't understand the basic "physics" behind sound, light, and optics, then there's no sense talking you you.

Look, it's simple. If you reading subtitles you are missing something (however small) of the movie. And if your watching, and not reading the subtitles, your missing something in the reading. It is impossible to give 100% attention to both. Got it numbskull :poke:

There is no "physics" involved other than the "physics" of how painfully long it takes your marginally-literate eyes and brain to process a short line of dialog on the bottom of the screen, jackass. Most of us can do it in a split-second without "missing" much of anything. I understand how reading all dem big ol' bi-syllabic words gives you a headache and all, just please don't assume for one moment that the rest of the world shares your mental deficiencies! :cop:

Illiteracy mojo sent, just the same. :cry:

• Members
It's a form of the word "buy", more of a slang adjective, really, and is listed in more than one dictionary, as I showed you with the previous post, although you lecturing
anyone
on proper grammar is definitely worth it for the sheer lulz-value alone! OOPS! "lulz" isn't in Webster's either, is it?
:o:lol:

There is no "physics" involved other than the "physics" of how painfully long it takes your marginally-literate eyes and brain to process a short line of dialog on the bottom of the screen, jackass. Most of us can do it in a split-second without "missing" much of anything. I understand how reading all dem big ol' bi-syllabic words gives you a headache and all, just please don't assume for one moment that the rest of the world shares your mental deficiencies!
:cop:

Illiteracy mojo sent, just the same.
:cry:

Yeah, there's no physics involved in sound or light :facepalm:

This might explain why you miss so much of a movie reading subtitles without knowing it. :cop:

• Members
Yeah, there's no physics involved in sound or light

This might explain why you miss so much of a movie reading subtitles without knowing it.

In your case, it has more to do with defective brain chemistry than it does physics. :cop:

The only people who "miss" anything are those still stuck at a kindergarten reading level! :lol:

• Members

Leonardo is one of our finest actors, IMO. Go rent Gangs of New York, The Departed, or Blood Diamond. He plays a very believable tough guy and hell even in Titanic he was all man.

I don't get the LC is a fag crap, nothing I have seen him do indicates this and the guy doesn't have an effeminate bone in his body.

He is the type of actor that can take a mediocre role in a mediocre movie and turn it into a major hit on his personality alone.

*cough* revolutionary road *cough*

• Members

Maybe you don't know how much of the movie you are missing by reading subtitles. :poke:

Being a non-native English speaker (sort of), with a main language that isn't widespread enough to make dubbing worthwhile, yet exposed to dubbing of movies in more popular languages (German, French), I can tell you the following:

Dubbing is a crime against humanity. Its negatives far, far outweigh the benefit of not having to read subtitles. I learned most of my English at a young age by hearing it on TV while it was subtitled. ALL English content on local stations is subtitled, and it's still really popular and people still get it.

Now I'm practically a native English speaker, and whenever possible I do prefer to watch without subtitles because it does allow you to pay a little more attention to the subtleties (hah, wordplay!) of the dialogue - if there are subtitles I can read, it's hard to really stop myself from reading them.

All of the above has nearly zilch to do with deciding to use ancient norse in the movie as opposed to dubbing, but it might add a lot if "language confusion" is part of the plot. Reading the subtitles removes less from the movie that having the different languages adds to it.

By the way, you shouldn't complain about having english subtitles. Until quite recently, we used to have english movies in the cinema here subtitled in TWO languages at the same time (the two major national languages). You get halfway through a sentence in dutch and then start reading the same one in french. That SUCKS.

• Members
In your case, it has more to do with defective brain chemistry than it does physics.

The only people who "miss" anything are those still stuck at a kindergarten reading level!
:lol:

So you can see every single little thing going on in a movie while you read subtitles, and not miss anything ???????

Unless you have stereoscopic vision it is impossible :idea:

Archived