OT: Black Metal; anyone enjoy it?

LordThurisaz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

black metal is my favorite form of comedy. that {censored} is hilarious.
:lol:

:lol: Exactly. It's impossible to take it seriously, which is why I find so many of the fans who say they're not posers by taking it seriously funny as well.

But still, I love Ulvers Bergtatt album. A great transition between black metal and emotion

[YOUTUBE]M3Ubctz2ywA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]v2Qrz1dH6jc[/YOUTUBE]

In fact. I love all Ulvers stuff. Every album seems to explore a completely different style. Only their first and third albums are black metal. They later went more into avant garde electronic stuff

• Members

A LOT of good stuff in your posts. My hard drive died when I was just past being super into black metal and I had forgotten a bunch of the names I loved like Abigor. I saw some Xasthur and some Blut Aus Nord on here, anyone for Drudkh?

[YOUTUBE]LMZxZ5Nm95U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]j7Zo3FmtVJ4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

used to be into plenty of BM.

fav band is MARDUK.but i didn't even get the newest cd.w/all the member changes,its not even the same band.

everyone knows all the favs,so i won't post the obvious.

check out...

HECATE ENTHRONED

ABOMINATOR

ANGELCORPSE

THE BLACK

WAR

I loved Marduk until Rat Age or whatever. "Of Hells Fire" is one of my fav BM songs ever. Angelcorpse was awesome as well.

• Members

there is a excess of bands in europe mostly, who basicly make really {censored}ty sounding albums that are terrible, and they market themselves as remaining "True" to the original black metal sound and ideals. but its not the same.

its not special.

i think burzum, early mayhem, and darkthrone are the only ones that can get away with what they did. that harsh production, "hard to listen to", "tourtured screams", all that {censored} was part of the original wave of norwegian black metal that had such a powerfull impact on metal. there will never be another darkthrone, mayhem, or burzum. so i wish these copy cats would at least do their own spin on it if they're going to try and copy it.

Ulver bergtatt is one of my favorite albums of all time.

i don't know if i even consider it black metal.

its definitly black metal influenced, but its also very folky.

i love the vocal style. it goes from growling to garms layered almost gregorian chant like vocals.

ulver is one of the best groups in the world when it comes to constantly reinventing themselves.

they've done everything, and they've done everything well.

Enslaved is another great black metal band that evolved into their own identity in the early 2000's. They're kind of like a spaced out black metalish band. you can hear some hawkwind, and king crimson influences in there now i think. Not the most exciting to see live (unless under the right conditions), but amazing band, and friendly bunch of viking looking dudes. i met thier singer once at a gig, and shook his hand, and he damn near pulled my arm off!

i really like early dimmu borgir (first 3 especially). i liked how they took alot of simple riffs, and fairly simple, yet meldoic snyth line, and just jammed it out of 4 or 5 minutes. they've gotten alot more... i guess complex in their production and songwritting.

i think they're trying to be like the top of their class musicianship wise, and they certainly are, but i'm a bigger fan of their older, more simple stuff.

emperor, i was never a really big fan of. they had 1 or 2 solid albums, but they were never huge with me.

immortal had a nice string of sweet albums for a while. dammed in black, sons of the northern darkness, and i think one other one around the same 4 or 5 year span. i wish they'd ditch that goof ball black metal superhero image they have going on. they seem like a bunch of total jag-offs.

satyricon rules too. they're still very much a polished up version of darkthrone style metal, in my opinion. very riff oriented for the most part. Frost their drummer is a {censored}ing madman.

• Members

Hmm... where are the 'ultra kvlt' pics of Satanic Warmaster having a n00d sleepover pizza extravaganza with other black metal band members? :lol:

And just thought I'd throw this out there... I think it's funny as hell that Immortal released their second album, Pure Holocaust, with their biggest market being that of the German market. And then, to top it off, Immortal is all like :o:idk::lol:

EDIT: It's almost as funny as the drunken video of Immortal trying to explain what grim meant.

• Members
immortal had a nice string of sweet albums for a while. dammed in black, sons of the northern darkness, and i think one other one around the same 4 or 5 year span. i wish they'd ditch that goof ball black metal superhero image they have going on. they seem like a bunch of total jag-offs.

Eh... one person comments on how they think it's silly that black metal and it's fans take itself so seriously, yet a group takes itself completely unseriously, and people complain about it? Okay? :idk:

Also, to Turbo... judging from the old avatar you had and the VHT gear, you'd seem like the perfect candidate for an american black metal group.

Oh yeah, and anyone like Ceremonial Castings? They are awesome and from Washington state, but they should really craft the high end a little better... it's really crispy and I think a tad too compressed as well. Otherwise, they sound pretty awesome.

Archived