Speakers like Greenbacks?

Markymarc1979

• Members

What about those Eminence Legends? The GB series. They are supposed to be Greenback like with higher handling. Of course, part of the greenback magic is the low power handling. A bit of speaker breakup going on I imagine but, not practical in a 1 x 12 format or in some cases even 2 x 12.

• Members

Can't seem to find much about the P50e?

I'm thinking of the Private Jacks or Legend.

I don't think you can buy them individually. They come in VHT/Fryette cabinets.

• Members

Aren't scumbacks supposed to be similar?

oh yes they are!!,..but not just any greenback,..there exact reproduction of the older,..creamier,...certain cone,..with specific doping etc,..

there pricey!!,..but you can get them in any wattage,..ohmage,..freq, that you could ever want,....i own 4,..and they are by far the best speakers i have ever used....

dont cheapout on the speakers,...i am starting to think there the most important part of the signal chain...

• Members

oh yes they are!!,..but not just any greenback,..there exact reproduction of the older,..creamier,...certain cone,..with specific doping etc,..

there pricey!!,..but you can get them in any wattage,..ohmage,..freq, that you could ever want,....i own 4,..and they are by far the best speakers i have ever used....

dont cheapout on the speakers,..
.i am starting to think there the most important part of the signal chain

Bolded for absolute truth.

Scumbacks are awesome, tons of options, but at that price point you can almost buy the real thing depending on the market. But they're an option certainly worth pursuing.

• Members

I've been using and loving the Weber Silver Bells lately for this kind of thing. I got mine with the ceramic magnet, 50w, and light doping. They have all of the character and "give" of the Heritage Greenbacks and the older ones(I'm not a huge fan of the chinese version) , but they have a punchier bottom end that holds up way better for higher gain & more modern stuff. I love that textured midrange, smokey overall character, and they are more articulate in the highs than a greenback. A little less sizzle than greenbacks. These and the Weber Blue Dogs(also with ceramic magnet, 50w, and light doping), are my two favorite speakers that I've used.

• Members

Aren't scumbacks supposed to be similar?

Scumbacks are some of the best pre-Rola Greenbacks out. Jim owns like 300 original Greenbacks and developed his design based off that and additional research he did with Tim Weber. He's on TGP and those guys worship his speakers there.

• Members

Lots of good speaker info here. I thought that the H30 was suposed to be close to the greenback but with less breakup. If that is true I might have to get some greenback like speakers since I have Wizards which are like H30s in my 412, and they kill!!!

• Members

lots of good info in this thread

BTW: P-50E

SPEAKER BEHAVIOR AND THE P50E

The P50E speaker is custom built to Fryette specifications by Eminence, and is only available from

Fryette. The P50E is not an OEM version of the Eminence Redcoat or Patriot series speaker line.

It is difficult to discuss the sonic characteristics of the P50E or any speaker for that matter, in

isolation because so much of speaker behavior depends on the environment in which it is

operating - that is to say, 2X12 cab, 4X12 cab, front-mount, rear-mount, wood type, construction

style, playing volume, etc, etc. Having said all that lets talk about the P50E versus the popular

Celestion Vintage 30 in a Fryette 4X12 FatBottom straight cab.

The P50E is actually a 50-watt speaker. The V30, although officially rated at 60 watts is in reality

closer to 75 watts. The P50E has a smaller magnet than the V30, which insures that the speaker

will break up at lower amplifier power than a V30. However, the V30 has a more compliant

suspension, which together with the larger magnet causes the speaker to move more-low end.

This also causes more distortion in the higher frequencies contributing to a harsh top end. The

highly compliant suspension makes it difficult for the speaker to track low frequencies especially

at high volume levels and this causes a

Archived