Mesa vs Marshall vs Peavey cab gut shot pix

JSutter

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yeah, it's core construction is no different.

Sorry you lose.
:p

Does the thing at least have a ply back panel, unlike the others?

yeah it does and the construction is a lot better than the other marshall cabs i've had recently....not better than the mesa oversized but it sounds a lot better.

• Members
So what the hell is so different about it from this standard 1960B?

DSC01683.jpg

well from what marshall said the wood is better/thicker...it sounds identical to my friends 1971 marshall cab except mine has a tad more low end due to the G12H30 speakers. i got a great deal so i'm happy, wish i could get rid of the mesa cab it's too muddy

• Members

well from what marshall said the wood is better/thicker...it sounds identical to my friends 1971 marshall cab except mine has a tad more low end due to the G12H30 speakers. i got a great deal so i'm happy, wish i could get rid of the mesa cab it's too muddy

The br00tal kids love the Recto Oversized cabs. Just put it up on craigslist.

Mesa Recto Traditional/Stiletto cab is much better BTW.

• Members

yeah i know about the trad/stiletto being better i made the mistake of letting a friend talk me into buying his about 7 years ago when i was still using a 5150II and it sounded good with that amp but i've gone back to the tones that i love, Big, fat and warm like a vagina

• Members

HEY, I'm a br00tal kids and I dislike Recto over sized cabs. I like over sized cabs, but not the Recto. It does sound muddy like the other guy said. And about the Peavey cab being as much as a Mesa, not even close. I can't find a used Mesa very cheap, but I regularly see Peavey cabs at 200 and sometimes 100. I personally miss my Ampeg V412, not sure if that's the right model. But it was slant cab and had a very tight yet thick tone.

• Members

Interestingly the amp you have 6505+ pairs up really well with an OS 4x12 it's a pretty common pair to match up and lots of examples of it are on recordings. Better than the Recto 2x12 just imo.

It can sound overly muddy with alot of other amps though. The 6505+ sounds really good through it though imo.

• Members

Its amazing how much more effort Mesa puts into their cabs. Construction is top notch. Quality is the best I have seen yet.

Unfortunately you cant see it in the pix, but the Mesa is completely sealed. The Peavey and Marshall have a 3" gap of wood missing on the sides where the back screws to. You can see the gap on the XXX cab at the top of the pic.

I know the gap in the back of the Marshall is for loading the front baffle in and out. it's a lifesaver when replacing the grillcloth. i wonder how it affects the sound though?

• Members

I dont know {censored} about Mesa cabs, but I dont care either way. If anything tighter bass is my preference. Jesse's a cool dude and sold it for a sick price.

Last night after we recorded the vet/vin 30 clips I pretty much did. I was running the blackstar cranked through both the 1960bv and Mesa. Even at 5 watts its a beast. I think it sounded better than the VTM. :evil:

A few weeks ago I had the tsl60 with the 1960b and 1982a on 10. Full stack powah! :rawk:

• Members

why do people hail the stiletto cab to be better than the recto cab?

they both are great and worth about the same

The stiletto is more the same size as a standard marshall cab. Rectifier is more like the marshall 1960 cab. The last two are both oversized, 1960 is bigger still, technically can push more bass because of the larger internal volume.

I'd say user error. They are well made cabs.

• Members

The stiletto is more the same size as a standard marshall cab. Rectifier is more like the marshall 1960 cab. The last two are both oversized, 1960 is bigger still, technically can push more bass because of the larger internal volume.

I'd say user error. They are well made cabs.

1960 isn't oversized.

Archived