Mesa vs Marshall vs Peavey cab gut shot pix

JSutter

• Members
I dunno man it has silver piping and its not over sized like the Recto cabs on Mesa's site
:confused:
Dave and I ended up splitting it up. He needed new speakers so the V30s when into the 1960 and I put my Vet30s into the Mesa.

measure it,..or look at the model#'s on the input jack plate,...it will tell ya it's a recto,.....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
What does that prove? How dense/hollow it sounds?

i wish i had a definate answer for ya,...all i can say is good cabs sound like your knocking on an aucoustic guitar,..cheap cabs sound like your knocking on a cheap cab,...even if the rear panel is loose i have found this to be true..
probably just my own narosis.

• Members
I dunno man it has silver piping and its not over sized like the Recto cabs on Mesa's site
Dave and I ended up splitting it up. He needed new speakers so the V30s when into the 1960 and I put my Vet30s into the Mesa.

-recto cab-
32 7/8" high
30 1/8" wide
14 1/4" deep

stilletto cab-
30 1/4" high
29 7/8" wide
14 1/4" deep

if what i sold ya wasnt a recto slant cab and turns out to be a stilletto slant cab i will be very embarassed!,......and i will for sure make it right the best that i can,......i thought both of you guys were cool as {censored},...and enjoyed meeting both of ya!,...

so let me know as soon as ya measure it.

• Members
i wish i had a definate answer for ya,...all i can say is good cabs sound like your knocking on an aucoustic guitar,..cheap cabs sound like your knocking on a cheap cab,...even if the rear panel is loose i have found this to be true..

When I knock on the back of my cab, I'm knocking on 3/4" ply and it does have that acoustic guitar type sound. The whole thing is 3/4" ply actually. :D

• Members

-recto cab-

32 7/8" high

30 1/8" wide

14 1/4" deep

stilletto cab-

30 1/4" high

29 7/8" wide

14 1/4" deep

if what i sold ya wasnt a recto slant cab and turns out to be a stilletto slant cab i will be very embarassed!,......and i will for sure make it right the best that i can,......i thought both of you guys were cool as {censored},...and enjoyed meeting both of ya!,...

so let me know as soon as ya measure it.

It definitely looks like a stilletto cab to me. The speaker cut outs look too close together to be a rectifier.

• Members

No you're not crazy...I've found it to be true on a lot of cabs too. It's a better test for 4x12's than 2x12's though. My Mesa 2x12 for example doesn't resonate like that when you knock on the back. It sounds amazing though.

• Members

I believe Peavey cabs have thicker walls than most cabs IIRC, which I think contributes to their dead sound.

Nope, not true.. IN fact they usually have 1/2 inch or 5/8 construction, with the baffle being 3/4 inch..

And to the OP, the reason there are gaps in the back of the Marshall and Peavey is so you can slide the baffle out, if you ever wished to remove it or repair it.. Many cabs are designed like this..

• Members

Jesse I'll measure it and let you know. We'll have to get together again good times. Your XXX and 2203kk are beasts. :love:

And to the OP, the reason there are gaps in the back of the Marshall and Peavey is so you can slide the baffle out, if you ever wished to remove it or repair it.. Many cabs are designed like this..

Good to know:thu:

• Members
Jesse I'll measure it and let you know. We'll have to get together again good times. Your XXX and 2203kk are beasts.
:love:

Good to know:thu:

ok man,sounds good ...i have been tweaking the 2203,...you should here it now!....if either of you guys were interested in the xxx i would give it to ya for $500,..
if ya ever want to experiment with some different pre/power amp tubes let me know,...i'll set ya up.

• Members
Nope, not true.. IN fact they usually have 1/2 inch or 5/8 construction, with the baffle being 3/4 inch..

That's weird. I never measured the wall thickness of mine, but it was around 110 pounds, so I don't know how it could have been that thin and weighed so much. :confused:

• Members

Aren't all Marshall cabs MIE built the same?

No, the 1960BHW is built like the old 70's cabs including metal handles and is hand wired with 4 Heritage G12H30 speakers and with my 1980 JMP 2203 with a maxon OD-9 as a boost it crushes

Archived