Thinking about getting into recording...

peehoo

• Members

...on a really low level. Nothing serious, for my own kicks and maybe to bore some friends with my {censored}.

Now I don't know much about that kinda thing. Obviously I'd use my computer so I'd need an interface. What else do I need? I have a Behringer Xenyx mini mixer. So I guess I could use that and don't need a computer interface with all sorts of connections?

I'd like something external and that's all I know. Should I go for a firewire one or usb one? How much will that run me to get half decent results?

• Members

Does the xenyx have a USB out? I thought I remember them having it. If so, you can use that and a mic. If you want an interface...something with USB 2.0 will get your job done. I use an emu 0404 and an sm57....dl reaper, and you are good to go!!

• Members

I have had bad experiences with presonus stuff, so I try to stay away from them....thats just based on my experiences, though, so YMMV. I really like the emu 0404...they also make an 0202 version, which is a bit stripped down. It doesnt have any eq controls, and I wouldnt use them anyway. I used to use a mixer, a while ago, but I never used any of the eq stuff...you wont need it, you can do all your eq post recording.

This is what I have

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-0404-USB-2.0-Recording-Interface?sku=242516

• Members

What's been your bad experience with Presonus? I'm having issues with driver crashes for my Firestudio Project in Windows Vista and 7, both 64. Also, Universal Controller never loads on Windows startup, despite it being configured to.

That sounds like a Windows problem man , not a Presonus problem. Ive got quite a bit of Presonus stuff ( StudioLive console , Eureka strip , 2 Studio Channel strips , Digimax 96k, Digimax D8 , ADL600, Faderport) and I havent had a single issue. Its all worked flawlessly. BUT I am running Mac's :thu: :poke:

• Members

That sounds like a Windows problem man , not a Presonus problem. Ive got quite a bit of Presonus stuff ( StudioLive console , Eureka strip , 2 Studio Channel strips , Digimax 96k, Digimax D8 , ADL600, Faderport) and I havent had a single issue. Its all worked flawlessly. BUT I am running Mac's
:thu:
:poke:

It's a presonus driver problem, hence why the same issue is present in both Vista and 7 (and I'm running all very mainstream hardware: EVGA 750i SLI, e8400, corsair ram, BFG GTX 260). The driver works fine with Windows XP on the same machine, so it's a conflict with the newer OSs that Presonus hasn't worked out, but it's not Microsoft's job to make Presonus' Windows drivers for them.

• Members

What's been your bad experience with Presonus? I'm having issues with driver crashes for my Firestudio Project in Windows Vista and 7, both 64. Also, Universal Controller never loads on Windows startup, despite it being configured to.

This, as Norton666 said, sounds like a windows issue....or more a compatibility issue between 64 bit OS and the drivers...

I had a presonus mic pre a while back, and I absolutely could not get a decent sound out of it. Everything was always muffled and the audio level was EXTREMELY low. I switched to an m-audio pre, and it literally fixed all of my issues. Thats my only experience with them. I almost bought a small interface, but realized it wasnt usb 2.0, and without 2.0, you will very likely get some bad latency, so I decided to go a different route, and I couldnt be happier with the emu.

EDIT: The Eureka was the mic pre that I had endless issues with. I fought with that thing for 3 months before I just offed it and got an maudio dmp3 mic pre.

• Members

It's a presonus driver problem, hence why the same issue is present in both Vista and 7 (and I'm running all very mainstream hardware: EVGA 750i SLI, e8400, corsair ram, BFG GTX 260). The driver works fine with Windows XP on the same machine, so it's a conflict with the newer OSs that Presonus hasn't worked out, but it's not Microsoft's job to make Presonus' Windows drivers for them.

The drivers are Presonus' Windows Vista/7 64 bit drivers. A problem with them is still a problem with Presonus.

Archived