Marshall Guru's... SLX 2100 (50 watt EL-34's) The word?

ConcreteVamphyr

• Members

Almost pulled the trigger on one back when the the DSL's came out, got the DSL instead... Kinda dug, and feel I missed out on the SLX...

My Guitar player's pushin his, for $500 or so... Minty clean, etc... I'm borrowing it this week.

Are those dual gains like the 5150's pre-post gain's? or at least in theory/ preamp architecture? if not, how is the preamp lined up? Is it crazy to consider modding/making master A, a channel volume, asnd Master B the... MASTER! :love:

• Members

this. I like the SLX but the DSL is a superior amp in terms of tone, features etc...

not to highjack, but i know about the difference in features, but in terms of tone, what makes them superior? Only asking in this thread as i am just about to buy an slx but i can get a brand new DSL50 from the store i work at for cheap, and it sounds kinda muddy to me, maybe just a tube swap?

thanks

• Members

I guess I don't know what you're asking, because the SL-X has a pre amp volume as well.
:idk:

True. I'm trying to figure out the gainstages, in relations to the knobbage. One is Gain/Sensativity, (The meaty thicker gain) and the preamp/volume, which add's the higher order fizzier gain. If these are two gains stages, could then we insert a volume after to feed the master? (End result is what you want to add master's to amps for, lower volume saturation.)

We must feed the master! :cop:

• Members

i loved it,but loved the dsl a tad more..the dsl's green channel maxed with a screamer in front is just sex !!

A big reason I ditched my DSL... (Besides VHT gas!)

If I "have" to boost it, it's not right in the long run...

The green channel was always lacking without boost, and the red channel was thin. versatile, sure. At a price. The VHT's clean is as cold as an Ice cube, but ANY distortion at hand on the other.

Just looking for my next marshall fix. Modded Plexi's too pricey...:cry:

• Members

not to highjack, but i know about the difference in features, but in terms of tone, what makes them superior? Only asking in this thread as i am just about to buy an slx but i can get a brand new DSL50 from the store i work at for cheap, and it sounds kinda muddy to me, maybe just a tube swap?

thanks

The DSL is muddy plugging straight in.

Get a Boost like a Bad Monkey/Tube screamer type, and the muddiness is gone.

Great sounding amp.

• Members

I have a JCM900 2500 MkIII the predecesor to the JCM900 SL-X. The 2500 has (3) 12ax7 preamp tubes and the SL-X has (4) preamp tubes. I think SL-X amps are noisey because of that extra preamp tube. On my JCM900 MkIII, I turn the preamp down some to 3 or 4, turn the Gain/Sensitivity up to 17 and the Master Volume up to 9 and get a really smooth tone with alot of sustain.

• Members

If you want more bottom end balls in your Marshall SL-X, put JJ E34L power tubes in it. The E34L's have alot more bottom end than a Sovtek, Shuguang, or Tung-Sol type EL34.

It's got EH's, i'm not as worried about the power amp section, (although it's a bit "Bass light", as they tend to be) as I am about the fizziness, 6-7k overtones...

Essential difference is SLX is All tube... 900's have diodes... not so fond of in Marshalls'.. cept for Jubilee's, or Slash sig's...

Still a very high mid buzzy/shelf tone I dunnot like....

I have tomorrow off to crank it and {censored} around so....

gonna try different pre's as well.....

• Members

I have a JCM900 2500 MkIII the predecesor to the JCM900 SL-X. The 2500 has (3) 12ax7 preamp tubes and the SL-X has (4) preamp tubes. I think SL-X amps are noisey because of that extra preamp tube. On my JCM900 MkIII, I turn the preamp down some to 3 or 4, turn the Gain/Sensitivity up to 17 and the Master Volume up to 9 and get a really smooth tone with alot of sustain.

Noisey ? mine was dead quite when I wasnt playing , even when cranked..I made youtube vids to show this.

• Members

Used to have a 50watt SL-X with El34L's. Killer amp, but I ditched it cause the two volume knobs were useless to me, I wanted two real seperate channels.

Ended up buying a jcm 800 2204, go figure:rolleyes:

The jcm 2000 was non-existent (or maybe too new/pricey) back then, and jcm 800s still went for $500, otherwhise I'd probably gotten a dsl50.

Not to say there was anything wrong with the SL-X, I just prefered the sound of the 800 for the music I was into.

Not too long ago though when I went to see this local hardcore/indie band I saw the singer/guitarist also played an SL-X. The band itself wasn't anything spectacular, but MAN did that guy sound good with his tele and Sl-X. I instantly regretted selling my SL-X eight years ago. Should've just given it to a good amp tech for some new tubes and a full check up...:facepalm:

Anywayz, I sold the 800 too and bought/sold a couple other Marshalls:

JMP 2204: A little bit different then the '84 800 I had before, maybe just because of tubes or something, or maybe it's just taht Marshall amps from that period aren't that consistent in terms of components and circuitry...

'72 SuperBass: Probably not your type of Marshall, so I won't bore you with that story.

1959 Plexi Ri which I still have: Dito.

2550 Silver Jubilee head: Probably the best "modern" Marshall out there, unless you don't care about a clean channel, in which case I'd personally go for an early '80s 2204 just because of the huge price difference which impo probably isn't worth the relatively small difference in tone...

I've sorta come to the conclusion that I need fender cleans more then I need marshall dirt though. No matter how "okay" the cleans on the 2550 sound, you don't buy this amp for it's cleans. My punkrock days are over, and for the occasional half-assed G&R and AC/DC wankage at home, my fender tone-master will do just fine.

So the 2550 jubilee head is for sale. Should mension I live in Europe though:lol:

Archived