Good modeling amp?

Kassanova

• Members

I played through a Vox Valvetronix AD120VTH modeling head and it was very nice to my ears. I know nothing beats a good ol' tube amp (so please spare the "nothing is better than a tube amp" comments).

But, what other good modeling amps are out there on the market? I have a fondness for the Mesa tone myself, so I'm wondering are there any that do a decent Mesa Rectifier?

• Members

Just say no. When you want an amp to be that versatile then you are just dividing the quality. I've tried a lot and they aren't even close to decent ss amps. I'm going to pickup a tech 21 trademark combo myself because of the low maintenance, cheap price and active eq.. Check it out on youtube, it has a lot better quality versatile amp and you have to admit that digital modelling amps do not have the processing power and there for sound real thin and fake.

• Members

The Vypyr is surprisingly good.

This. Even though I just traded my Vypyr-30 + Sanpera-II pedal towards an Egnater Rebel-20 ( I didn't need the cash but I have such a larg amp pile I needed to make room). I can find love for virtually any Modelling amp. The Vypyr is (along with the Valvtronix stuff) at the top of tha pack IMH and useless O The VYP has miles better effects. I dislike the REVERB and DELAY on both units but they are passable.

• Members

Just say no. When you want an amp to be that versatile then you are just dividing the quality. I've tried a lot and they aren't even close to decent ss amps. I'm going to pickup a tech 21 trademark combo myself because of the low maintenance, cheap price and active eq.. Check it out on youtube, it has a lot better quality versatile amp and you have to admit that digital modelling amps do not have the processing power and there for sound real thin and fake.

you have to admit that digital modelling amps do not have the processing power and there for sound real thin and fake.

Ah, no I don't because this isn't true with all modeling amps

• Members

I will say to you no and no, I am thinking user error on your Behringer.

• Members
I played through a Vox Valvetronix AD120VTH modeling head and it was very nice to my ears. I know nothing beats a good ol' tube amp (so please spare the "nothing is better than a tube amp" comments).

But, what other good modeling amps are out there on the market? I have a fondness for the Mesa tone myself, so I'm wondering are there any that do a decent Mesa Rectifier?

You just played the best one hands down!

It just sounds, reacts and has so much more nuance and feel that NO MODELLER COMES CLOSE Imo. Put that bitch on a good 2X12 cab and youll be happy. :thu:

I have said this on several occasions, but its one of the best amps i have owned period! I have owned at least 15 different amp setups (tube heads, tube combos, digital/line 6, rackgear, etc) I dont see myself ever selling it anytime soon, i just may get a different amp/head but i dont see myself selling this amp!

PS - The 120 versions has 2 tubes in them , the 60 watters have 1

:rawk:

• Members

I will say to you no and no, I am thinking user error on your Behringer.

User error on my behringer? I didn't mention any Behringer.

I've owned a Pod, Boss Gt-6 and have many friends who use the digital preamps, line6 spider valve and all that other stuff and I've never heard the AxeFX so I have no opinion on that but I've never gotten a tone I liked or heard anyone else for that matter get a tone I liked and digital amps.

I was going to trade my Boss pedal for one of those Valvetronix combos to practice on and cause they get great reviews but I thought they use tube distortion with a ss poweramp?

I might be wrong and maybe I don't have the patience to sift through the million parameters but I'm used to an amp that is already voiced the way I like. I'm hoping the Tech21 is as versatile as they say.

• Members

The Axe-FX is miles above anything Line6, Boss or any other digital MFX company has come up with.

Right now, its not in my budget or else it wouldn't even be a thought.

From the way it sounds, I guess the AD120VTH is the way to go. I will check out the Spydyr, too. I read somewhere that Hughes & Kettner made a modeling amp. I'm curious to hear that one, too but I wouldn't consider buying one because at their prices, I'd just buy an Axe-FX Ultra.

If there are other amps that I should be checking out fellas; by all means let me know.

• Members

And those players use the Line6 rackmount gear which are all line level which is a whole different ballgame. I'd like to hear the AxFx cause everyone's been raving about them. My friend is getting an ENGL SE in and I have to hear what a $4000 ENGL sounds like. Does anyone know how the SE works? How does it store its presets and still be all tube?

Archived