speaker cable vs instrument cable?!

mikelitzguitar

• Members

I recently got a new extension cab for my combo, and have been using your basic 1/4" mono instrument cable to connect to the cab. I was told that I need a speaker cable instead of what I am using. What is the difference? and how can I tell if one of the thousands of cables I have lying around is not in fact a speaker cable?? Thanks!

• Members

I recently got a new extension cab for my combo, and have been using your basic 1/4" mono instrument cable to connect to the cab. I was told that I need a speaker cable instead of what I am using. What is the difference? and how can I tell if one of the thousands of cables I have lying around is not in fact a speaker cable?? Thanks!

The long and short of it is this:

A speaker cable is typically 18 gauge or thicker 2-conductor wire. In other words, it's lamp cord with 1/4" connectors on each end. An instrument cable uses thinner conductors and has an outer shielded jacket. From the outside, you can't tell the difference usually.

Why you shouldn't use an instrument cable for a speaker and vice versa - instrument cables are not made to take large amounts of current. Amps put out large amounts of current while instruments do not. If enough current hits the instrument cable, it can heat up and burn out. If that happens, then it will no longer be connecting the amp to the cab, so you are basically suddenly running a cranked amp without a cab connected. Running a tube amp without a cab connected can easily blow the amp's output transformer.

Buy a speaker cable. Just ask for it at the music store.

• Members

unscrew the end and look if they don't have molded plugs.

• Members

If anyone tells you that you can use an instrument instead of speaker cables in the long, or even short term for most guitar amps without any negative repercussions, they are retarded.

Well, not 100%. There are a few brands of instrument cable that can handle it. I have some Canare GS-6 that even Canare says can be used as speaker cable. It's 18G, which is thicker than most instrument cables and can handle the current. That said, it's not a safe practice with 99% of cables, and should never be done unless you are 100% sure that the cable is thick enough for it.

• Members

Well, not 100%. There are a few brands of instrument cable that can handle it. I have some Canare GS-6 that even Canare says can be used as speaker cable. It's 18G, which is thicker than most instrument cables and can handle the current. That said, it's not a safe practice with 99% of cables, and should never be done unless you are 100% sure that the cable is thick enough for it.

Even 18G is pushing it for speaker cables, depending on the amp of course. I personally don't go higher than 16 for speakers, 12-14 is preferable, but then again cable length is a factor in that as well.

Archived